NBC Sports Edge Forums

JaMycal Hasty 2020 Outlook

Going to echo the sentiments of others here. 

I wasn't happy per se when I saw Coleman limp off and eventually get ruled out, though I've been campaigning for Hasty to see additional touches and knew that this backfield was a mess. With Coleman leaving, I assumed that the vast majority of backfield touches would go to Hasty, and he'd do well with them. 

In the first half? Sure. Hasty had touches. But he was picking up short chunks of yardage before getting gang-tackled. This was even more disappointing since Seattle was giving up 5.0 YPC to RBs, and it seemed like he should be picking up more per touch. 

The second half, while SF was playing from behind Hasty was an afterthought. Game script forced this team to throw the ball at every available opportunity, and McKinnon came in on passing plays and short-yardage situations. This was infuriating, as we've heard the whole "tired legs" schtick from Shanahan.

Assuming that Coleman is not playing next week and this was an actual setback, the "good news" (if there is any" is that there are only two RBs - Hasty and McKinnon. If both practice throughout the course of the week, I'd say to start McKinnon in PPR leagues. Hasty isn't either used/trusted in that facet of the game, which is detrimental. 

Just my two cents. I wish that Hasty played better, and that the O-line wasn't so much of a total sieve today. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lol.  Everyone becomes Miss Cleo on the day after a game

Watched his highlights again. He's got a wee bit of that Barry wiggle. Would be fun if he got the load.  Zero value added here, gents. Classic Gandalfthecat

Name checks out

Posted Images

1 hour ago, varock said:

You wouldn’t blow any FAAB for a running back with guaranteed volume in a Shanahan offense whose suddenly thrust atop the depth chart in front of two guys that just reaggravated their injuries and are out an indeterminate amount of time, and alongside a player whom the team just basically benched for consecutive weeks due to “tired legs”? With a solid matchup next week? Ok...

I mean, if you need someone, sure. 

2 hours ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Before we get too excited, this Hasty looked vastly different than the one we know. 

and what happened second half? No touches?

Did he get game scripted out? If so, surely there’s a possibility he gets game scripted out again against Rodgers and co.

once again, san fran was down big and had to play catchup. mckinnon had 3 carries...all came in the 2nd half. they were throwing the ball, and mckinnon is their pass catching back...but even with that in mind, hasty was on the field 25% of time, either blocking or running routes which he wasn't targeted it. 

some good things going forward to thursday:

- tevin coleman is out...hasty will start no questions asked.
- mullens > jimmy
- better game script

Edited by TroutFister
  • Like 3
10 hours ago, TroutFister said:

once again, san fran was down big and had to play catchup. mckinnon had 3 carries...all came in the 2nd half. they were throwing the ball, and mckinnon is their pass catching back...but even with that in mind, hasty was on the field 25% of time, either blocking or running routes which he wasn't targeted it. 

some good things going forward to thursday:

- tevin coleman is out...hasty will start no questions asked.
- mullens > jimmy
- better game script

Another thing:

- Per DVOA, SEA's overall defense is bad (28th ranked), but it's mainly due to their pass defense being so bad (30th ranked). Their run defense is actually good...9th best (SEA rush D is 20.3% better than the league average rush D).  Packer's rush D is 10th WORST. 

Next week from Hasty, if he gets the start, I'll gladly take half, a third or even a quarter of what Dalvin Cook just dropped on the Packers last week.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, MBarbarian said:

Another thing:

- Per DVOA, SEA's overall defense is bad (28th ranked), but it's mainly due to their pass defense being so bad (30th ranked). Their run defense is actually good...9th best (SEA rush D is 20.3% better than the league average rush D).  Packer's rush D is 10th WORST. 

Next week from Hasty, if he gets the start, I'll gladly take half, a third or even a quarter of what Dalvin Cook just dropped on the Packers last week.

Another factor here is how easily the 49ers handled GB on the ground in both of their matchups last year.. Hasty is no Mostert, but if he gets anywhere from 12-15 carries he'll almost certainly have a day. With no Coleman or Wilson, he'll get the work.

Box scores from each game below. Hope Kittle can go as he's a boon to the run game and offense in general. 

NFC Championship:

sf.png&h=100&w=100San Francisco Rushing

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Raheem Mostert 29 220 7.6 4 36
Deebo Samuel 2 43 21.5 0 32
Tevin Coleman 6 21 3.5 0 5
Matt Breida 1 2 2.0 0 2
Jimmy Garoppolo 4 -1 -0.3 0 2
TEAM 42 285 6.8 4 36

Week 12:

sf.png&h=100&w=100San Francisco Rushing
  CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
Raheem Mostert 6 45 7.5 1 15
Tevin Coleman 11 39 3.5 1 11
Jeff Wilson Jr. 2 27 13.5 0 25
Jimmy Garoppolo 2 1 0.5 0 1
Richie James 1 0 0.0 0 0
TEAM 22 112 5.1 2 25
  • Like 1

Lots of RBs on BYE in Week 9, and others with tough matchups. 

BYE:  Mixon, Mile Sanders, Hunt/Chubb, LAR RBs.

Tough Matchups:

• Gurley vs. DEN
  • RoJo/Fournette vs. NO (on short week)
  • Dobbins/Ingram @ IND
  • Jonathan Taylor v. BAL
  • Zeke v. PIT
  • Jamaal Williams @ SF (if Aaron Jones plays, you play Jones obviously)
  • Devonta Freeman @ WAS

Gonna be tough decision between Hasty and all those above.  Anyone considering playing Hasty over Gurley or ZEKE??? Yikes.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, MBarbarian said:

Lots of RBs on BYE in Week 9, and others with tough matchups. 

BYE:  Mixon, Mile Sanders, Hunt/Chubb, LAR RBs.

Tough Matchups:

• Gurley vs. DEN
  • RoJo/Fournette vs. NO (on short week)
  • Dobbins/Ingram @ IND
  • Jonathan Taylor v. BAL
  • Zeke v. PIT
  • Jamaal Williams @ SF (if Aaron Jones plays, you play Jones obviously)
  • Devonta Freeman @ WAS

Gonna be tough decision between Hasty and all those above.  Anyone considering playing Hasty over Gurley or ZEKE??? Yikes.

Greenbay rush defense is suspect.....

Starting hasty next week

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Coleman and McKinnon have like one good knee combined at this point. Gotta figure Hasty is the one to start if you're still in on the 9ers backfield.

Starting with medium confidence this week. At least it's at home on a short week, and they didn't have to change time zones.

Also, it's bye week hell. How does this guy not get started as a top-30 option in a 12-teamer? 

• Like 2

during a bye week with all the injuries and lack of viable rb's....would you consider playing both hasty and mckinnon vs the packers? i'm thinking of doing that. i think i can get 25 combined ppr pts at a minimum combined. i think both hasty and mckinnon should get a good amount of pts in this game, i mean as mentioned above...niners have no other options. 

Edited by TroutFister
1 hour ago, TroutFister said:

during a bye week with all the injuries and lack of viable rb's....would you consider playing both hasty and mckinnon vs the packers? i'm thinking of doing that. i think i can get 25 combined ppr pts at a minimum combined. i think both hasty and mckinnon should get a good amount of pts in this game, i mean as mentioned above...niners have no other options. 

my fear is the 49ers can’t hang with packers. The hope is the packers can’t hang with 49ers due to the nightmares of last season lol but they’re really dropping all like flies 

4 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

my fear is the 49ers can’t hang with packers. The hope is the packers can’t hang with 49ers due to the nightmares of last season lol but they’re really dropping all like flies 

Coleman, Samuel, Kittle have all missed time this season. I think they're prepared to play without them, it's not a big deal. Not like these injuries happened unexpectedly. 

Mullens isn't a big downgrade compared to the very average QB that is jimmy garoppolo.

i'd be surprised if they were blown out. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

fair...either way...you hedge your bets with mullins passing it off to mckinnon to play catch up. i think hasty is fine at catching balls as well. 

They still have Aiyuk and Bourne and Dwelly and maybe Reed.  The passing game will still be credible.

And the Niner's O-line is intact.  Mullen is decent imo.  He's no DiNucci.

My main concern is that they throw Coleman back out there on one leg and gum up the works.

1 minute ago, SharkSwimmer said:

They still have Aiyuk and Bourne and Dwelly and maybe Reed.  The passing game will still be credible.

And the Niner's O-line is intact.  Mullen is decent imo.  He's no DiNucci.

My main concern is that they throw Coleman back out there on one leg and gum up the works.

the passing attack is decent, but i dont think they're dumb enough to play coleman if he's ailing.