NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan Fitzpatrick 2020 Outlook

4 minutes ago, gregp said:

Anyone think this was too early?

I know they wanna get Tua goin sooner rather than later, but Fitz is playing really well. And they're winning! 

Just surprised it didn't come when they were a bit more out of playoff hunt 

My only thoughts is that management drove this rather than coaches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Jerry Jones should be inquiring about this guy.

This is definitely the game that everyone jumps on the bandwagon and starts him in a great matchup and he’s proceeds to piss down his leg. 

It sounds like Fitzy thought he wouldn’t get benched until/unless he had a multi-pick meltdown game, or the Fins had mathematically fallen out of playoff contention. I think making the switch at this

1 hour ago, jujus-jujubees said:

Makes too much sense this dude gets traded. Cowboys? 

There is a lot of internet talk that this trade would make the most sense. Does anyone know how much cap space the Cowboys have? Also this would be a huge boost to the receiving core for Dallas 

It def is not deserved, but prob shouldn't be a shock. If Tua is healthy they had to give him a look at some point, and it made the most sense to get him worked in during the BYE week. Gotta keep in mind MIA is one of the very few teams that can (IF they choose) have full capacity fans. I read somewhere that the little cameo that Tua had this week resulted in an immediate (and remarkable) TV viewership spike of nearly 30%...at the moment he entered the game.

The Cowboys should just offer a 5th Rd pick for him and install him immediately. But it prob won't happen, trades that make sense seldom do in the NFL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like Fitzy thought he wouldn’t get benched until/unless he had a multi-pick meltdown game, or the Fins had mathematically fallen out of playoff contention. I think making the switch at this point was a mistake, because everyone including Fitzy knew he was a placeholder, but all his teammates ever talked about was how much fun they were having playing with him. He’s had such a weird career; often the starter but never seen as long-term answer. Would be fun to see the Cowboys as his final team.

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, eg4190 said:

It sounds like Fitzy thought he wouldn’t get benched until/unless he had a multi-pick meltdown game, or the Fins had mathematically fallen out of playoff contention. I think making the switch at this point was a mistake, because everyone including Fitzy knew he was a placeholder, but all his teammates ever talked about was how much fun they were having playing with him. He’s had such a weird career; often the starter but never seen as long-term answer. Would be fun to see the Cowboys as his final team.

I think his one good chance to be a long term answer was in Buffalo, and he just couldn't hack it.

Ryan Fitzpatrick said he was "shocked" by the Dolphins' decision to bench him and name Tua Tagovailoa the starter for Week 8 against the Rams.

Fitzpatrick was caught off guard when he was called into coach Brian Flores' office to learn the news and admitted it "broke his heart" to find out he's not the starter anymore. "I basically got fired yesterday and my day today consisted of Zoom meetings listening to the guy who fired me, and being in a spaced out room listening to the guy who replaced me," Fitzpatrick said. He felt the Dolphins were his team right now, and he was playing well, leading the Dolphins to a 3-3 record headed into their bye week. Clearly, if this was Miami's plan all along, Fitzpatrick had no idea and was blindsided by it. There's been some chatter that the Dolphins could potentially listen to trade offers for Fitzpatrick ahead of the November 3 deadline. The NFL is always more fun when Fitzpatrick is playing.

giphy.gif

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick said he was "shocked" by the Dolphins' decision to bench him and name Tua Tagovailoa the starter for Week 8 against the Rams.

Fitzpatrick was caught off guard when he was called into coach Brian Flores' office to learn the news and admitted it "broke his heart" to find out he's not the starter anymore. "I basically got fired yesterday and my day today consisted of Zoom meetings listening to the guy who fired me, and being in a spaced out room listening to the guy who replaced me," Fitzpatrick said. He felt the Dolphins were his team right now, and he was playing well, leading the Dolphins to a 3-3 record headed into their bye week. Clearly, if this was Miami's plan all along, Fitzpatrick had no idea and was blindsided by it. There's been some chatter that the Dolphins could potentially listen to trade offers for Fitzpatrick ahead of the November 3 deadline. The NFL is always more fun when Fitzpatrick is playing.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I don't think Fitz suffered any illusions on his place in the organization, but it sounds like it could've been handled better.

Dolphins are idiots.  This sounds like a GM powerflex than a coaching move. They are going to ruin the chemistry of the team that has a legit shot at the playoffs.  When will they pull Tua if he does poorly?  What is the threshold?  This is why you wait for a meltdown or a losing streak.  Even with the Bucs, when they went with Winston, waited for Fitz to have a bad streak where he went 0:5 TD:INT over two games and lost to the Skins and Giants.  At the end, Winston basically had the same numbers with more TO, but logically it made sense to go forward.

This is going to be a locker room nightmare if Tua at all stumbles. It isn't fair to him now, and it isn't fair to Fitz.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Sternes said:

giphy.gif

This 100% makes the most sense now though...no different than working a trade in fantasy.  They're trying to go off on a high note with him, they showed cased him still putting up good numbers, they know Tua is the future, and now they're trying to deal him to the highest bidder.  I bet Dallas would kill to have his production right now.

Edited by CletisVanDamme
3 minutes ago, PrestigeWW said:

Yeah, I don't think Fitz suffered any illusions on his place in the organization, but it sounds like it could've been handled better.

He knew his place.  He shouldn't have been removed for his performance thus far and he should have gotten a heads up. I'm sure if he was sucking and got benched he would get it. He had a poor game vs Seattle, they were 1-3, it would have made a lot of sense.  Now he plays solid, they are 3-3, and he gets benched? Dolphins begging for problems when the team seemed to be clicking.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, CletisVanDamme said:

This 100% makes the most sense now though...no different that working a trade in fantasy.  They're trying to go off on a high note with him, they showed cased him still putting up good numbers, they know Tua is the future, and now they're trying to deal him to the highest bidder.  I bet Dallas would kill to have his production right now.

When is the last time a team traded for someone mid-year and it worked out?  When is the last time a team traded for a QB and it worked out?  What you are talking about is fantasy football, not real football. He has to learn the playbook. I don't see how Fitz magically fixes the decimated Dallas Oline or the coaching staff.

NFL Network's Jane Slater reports Cowboys players have begun forcefully criticizing the coaching staff after originally agreeing to "keep things internal." 

“Totally unprepared," were the words of one player. "They don’t teach. They don’t have any sense of adjusting on the fly.” Another added “they just aren’t good at their jobs." Other than that, we hope things are going well. New coach Mike McCarthy sold an offseason narrative of coming into the 21st century and learning analytics, but none of the analytics in the world can make up for having Mike Nolan as your defensive coordinator. The Cowboys have allowed an astonishing 218 points through their first six games, which is tied for the fourth most in NFL history. Dak Prescott's season-ending ankle injury gives McCarthy an alibi, but this could turn into a one-and-done situation. It wouldn't be the first time with a retread. Of course, all of this ignores that the 2-4 Cowboys still sit atop the horrid NFC East.  

Edited by Sternes
3 minutes ago, Sternes said:

When is the last time a team traded for someone mid-year and it worked out?  When is the last time a team traded for a QB and it worked out?  What you are talking about is fantasy football, not real football. He has to learn the playbook. 

Didn't say it would or does work out.  I get you.... and I also don't agree with what's happening to Fitz....but it does seem like the guy's giving his best effort to an org that's ready to deal him for something good.  I mean, NFL teams trading mid season is nothing new, whether it works out or not.  

1 hour ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Patriots should trade for Fitz and Bench Cam if the Pats lose again.

That would be amazing simply because that means Fitz would've played for every AFC East team.

Edited by ZappB
15 hours ago, Vendetta said:

Anyone think Fitz’s agent might have leaked the info? Gives him an out to demand a trade elsewhere and keep playing.

Fitzpatrick stated he wasn't seeking a trade.  It doesn't rule out the possibility his agent did.  I could easily see it the other way.  Miami benches him before trade deadline and thinks they can flip him for a pick.

Edited by Sternes