NBC Sports Edge Forums

Logan Thomas 2020 Outlook

A former QB turned TE project, that came on later in the season for DET. A big time athletic specimen at 6'6" 250 was handed a modest 2 yr $6.15 MM contract by WAS...he has been nothing short of a camp star this summer and there is nothing in their TE room to challenge him but sprinkles of meh. Noticed this in RWs deep sleeper article:

The lack of any cemented target tree behind Terry McLaurin gives Thomas (6’6/248) a fair shot to emerge as Washington’s No. 2 receiver as early as the season opener against Philly. The 29-year-old’s competition for opportunity includes Steven Sims, who failed to separate himself from incumbent slot WR Trey Quinn until Week 14, small school fourth-rounder Antonio Gandy-Golden, and hybrid chess piece Antonio Gibson. Thomas’ burst (4.61 40-time) and 89th-percent arm length are salivating, but it’s his red carpet stroll to the top of the depth chart that makes him a viable stash if opting for multiple late-round tight ends.

Interesting guy for deeper (16 teamers) and TE premium best balls, with a decent chance he can break through and be relevant elsewhere. Arrow^

• Like 2
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Keep us posted

I had Jonnu and Thomas and ended up cutting Jonnu. Tannehill just isn't going to pass enough on a weekly basis, and when Brown gets back I see Jonnu's target share diminishing. 

Age well this did not

I agree. With Jordan Reed gone and no other legit receivers after McLauren, Thomas is in for a big year. Crazy how everyone is sleeping on him. He'll finish the year as a TE1 and can be had for free right now. 

On 8/30/2020 at 11:09 AM, gbill2004 said:

I agree. With Jordan Reed gone and no other legit receivers after McLauren, Thomas is in for a big year. Crazy how everyone is sleeping on him. He'll finish the year as a TE1 and can be had for free right now. 

I think that saying he'll finish the year as a te1 is a bold prediction.  Not saying there isn't an outside chance of that happening but he still has Dwayne Haskins throwing to him.

• Like 1

8 targets, 4 receptions for 37 yards and tiddy.

I lost blake jarwin last night and this guy is just sitting there waiting for me to burn a #1 waiver claim on.  It's non-ppr and we start 2 TE's so i'm not intersted in guys like Hines.

Early reports on Thomas are that he is gonna be the go-to option in this offense.  

What's everyone's thoughts after game 1?

22 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

I lost blake jarwin last night and this guy is just sitting there waiting for me to burn a #1 waiver claim on.  It's non-ppr and we start 2 TE's so i'm not intersted in guys like Hines.

Early reports on Thomas are that he is gonna be the go-to option in this offense.  

Was Haskins most targeted receiver yesterday. He’s like a security blanket. Going to have a very nice year

• Like 1
15 hours ago, crotchcrickets said:

You have link for that? That kinda statement changes how heavily I will go for him. 

Furthering on his 74% snap rate, he also lined up in the slot a hearty 24 times and even out wide 4 times.

at ARZ and then at CLE next 2 games...could be some really good early season momentum for 2020's Waller.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, urbank07 said:

What kind of faab are we dropping? Thinking 10-12%?

In 1.5 ppr for TE I might go as much as much as 30%, but in those leagues the cupboard is always bare.

Depending on settings and league size you might be able to really low ball it for one more week if this guy is really the truth

Edited by Proteus
2 hours ago, urbank07 said:

What kind of faab are we dropping? Thinking 10-12%?

That is prob reasonable depending on the size and general knowledge of the owners. I don't think he is going for free in sharp leagues. Some owners are just going off last weeks line and plenty of TEs stunk it up WK1. What we have here--if WK1 trends are semi-static:

-74% snap rate and lining up a bunch (24 times) as a massive size mismatch in the slot, he ran a route on 86% of Haskins dropbacks!

- He is 6'6" 250 and has unreal catch radius, speed and change of direction quickness...guy is a freak athlete (former college QB at a good program too)

-All the other WRs that are out there are around 6 foot or smaller, I think the RZ looks will only increase if this offense/QB continue to ascend (the Def keeps them in games)

-He also led the team in air yards (that shouldn't continue with Terry, but it's interesting)

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, SkinsNation said:

He might get sent to the dog house after the coaches review film and get to this play 😂

300px-Oof_Size_Large.jpg

I feel humbled by this analysis. They say a picture is worth a thousand words and so is this play. I will be making adjustments this week off this play alone.

Routes / Dropbacks [PFF]

1 Travis Kelce (91%)
2 Darren Waller (90%)
3 Evan Engram (90%)
4 Mark Andrews (87%)
5 Logan Thomas (86%)
6 Hunter Henry (85%)
7 George Kittle (84%)
8 Hayden Hurst (80%)
9 Jordan Akins (80%)
10 Mike Gesicki (79%)
11 Jimmy Graham (78%)
12 Zach Ertz (74%)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ponchsox said:

Anyone scoop this guy off waivers?

Yup. Paid 5% in a 14 teamer as a 2nd te behind hock after jarwin went down.

first time doinf FAAB. I dk of that's overpay but I dont think m/any playable tes will come available again so if hock is out im screwed. I like his prospects. Should be a decent enough weekly play. 

I keep going back and forth on Thomas. Usage from week 1 could indicate this guy is this year's Waller, and our window is closing to get him before it's too late. But he could also just be a borderline streaming option in large team leagues given the state of this offense, and he ends up being droppable in a couple weeks after he doesn't pan out. What are people's thoughts on him in terms of TE positional rank going forward?