NBC Sports Edge Forums

Carson Wentz 2020 Outlook

It doesn't look like Wentz has a thread.

I'm worried this year will end up like last year, that he'll be a safe low-end QB1 with little upside.  Alshon is already hurt, Reagor is hurt, we all know DJax will get hurt.  I wouldn't mind having Wentz as my starting QB but I wouldn't feel excited about it either.

Edited by ZappB
Topic name
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like I'll be living here once again, as I did last year. Honestly, I was not particularly high on Wentz this year, specifically with regards to the decimation along the O-line and Wentz's own injury risk. I actually had Stafford ranked two slots above Wentz and spent a lot of time considering those two players against each other specifically. That situation was precisely what I was looking at with pick #95 (7.11) in a recently expanded 14-team league. In the end, I considered Stafford's at least comparable risk of injuryalong being 5 years older and having a less competent coaching staff creating a seemingly more volatile overall team situationand I ultimately made the decision to go with the youth and upside of Wentz. At the end of the day, I think his ceiling is as high as anybody's, that he's surrounded with a good amount of talent on offense, and that you can trust Philly's coaching staff to put him in situations where he can succeed. Furthermore, considering how my team had been constructed to that point, it made sense to look aim for high value at QB with that pick, like it was a sweet spot of sorts.

I have no idea how Wentz's career will end up, but these are his prime years, and I think buying shares in successive seasons at what should be the height of his athletic prowess gives me a better chance of cashing in on his potential success. More tickets in the raffle, so to speak. It was definitely a gamble, as just about every draft pick is in some form by that point, but as the stakes get higher and the odds slimmer, I think you gotta be a little more willing to take on some calculated risks.

Choo choo!/buckle up!

Edited by EaglesRocker97
  • Like 1

Reagor and Hightower have gotten a lot of good reviews in camp FWIW and Wentz is at his best when he has some speed options. Best guess out there is Reagor only going to miss one game (not placed on the IR).  But another aspect to consider is that they've clearly placed emphasis on RBs who can catch. Sanders mentioned it as a priority for him the off season. Scott and Clement also are respectable pass catchers and it's a forte of the guy they claimed from the Lions Huntley.

Lots of targets for Wentz. High upside target if you wanted to wait a bit at QB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PHILADELPHIA — Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz said he was on the practice field Monday, and the 27-year-old will be ready for the team’s season opener at the Washington Football Team in Landover, Maryland, in less than a week.

Wentz was listed as a “day-to-day” with a “lower body” injury last Sunday, and he was an observer in the two practices open to media last week.

Wentz, though, won’t miss any time as the Eagles begin preparations for Week 1 of the 2020 NFL season in earnest.

“Yeah, I feel great now,” Wentz said on a Zoom call Monday. “I had a little groin tightness, and it was just a really good week to kind of just let it rest and take care of myself off the field, so I was out there today practicing, feeling great. So yeah, that’ll be behind me for sure.”

Coach Doug Pederson said last week that it was a “good time” for Wentz to rest. During the normal preseason schedule, Wentz would have had a light week anyway because of the final preseason game, so Wentz’s groin tightness gave the team a chance to rest him ahead of the first week of regular season prep anyway.

Giddyap!

So with first round pick Jalen Reagor now looking like he'll play this Sunday, Wentz suddenly has a lot of weapons at the moment:

• DJax (for now)
  • Ertz
  • Goedert
  • Reagor (1st rd rookie burner with size)
  • JJAW (sophmore, redemption candidate. Training camp standout)
  • John Hightower (3rd round rookie. Alshon clone. Training camp standout)

And Alshon will come back at some point.

Wentz finished as QB9 last year throwing to nobody.  No Eagles WR had over 500 yds. 

With these new weapons, and if they can stay healthy, where does Wentz finish the year? QB5?

I think QB9 is his floor, ceiling is probably QB4-5.  Thoughts? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, MBarbarian said:

So with first round pick Jalen Reagor now looking like he'll play this Sunday, Wentz suddenly has a lot of weapons at the moment:

• DJax (for now)
  • Ertz
  • Goedert
  • Reagor (1st rd rookie burner with size)
  • JJAW (sophmore, redemption candidate. Training camp standout)
  • John Hightower (3rd round rookie. Alshon clone. Training camp standout)

And Alshon will come back at some point.

Wentz finished as QB9 last year throwing to nobody.  No Eagles WR had over 500 yds. 

With these new weapons, and if they can stay healthy, where does Wentz finish the year? QB5?

I think QB9 is his floor, ceiling is probably QB4-5.  Thoughts? 

Greg Ward Jr as well who was a vital piece to the playoff run. 

This is a tricky one. I think given the offensive personnel, most of their TDs will come through the air. The RBs are more pass catching savvy and this is the first time Doug hasn’t had a power back on the roster. I do not think we should shy away from the loss of Brooks though, that is huge.

Im personally putting Wentz in the QB6-QB10 range ROS with Watson/Stafford/Brady/Brees.

It is tricky for sure.  Large range of outcomes.  Trying to analyze his ceiling though...assuming everything goes right (his receivers stay healthy (big IF), he stays healthy, and his O-line stays top tier), what does that get him?  An extra 1,000 yards passing and 5 extra passing TDs maybe?  That would've put him at QB3 behind only Lamar and Dak. 

Upside is there, but it's just hard to imagine everything will fall into place.

I am nervous about him.  Starting Ben over him in one league and Brady in another.  The O line and lack of proven WR outside of DJax are my main concerns.  I'm hopeful on Reagor's abilities and Sanders' health...not counting on Alshon for anything...lots of WRs who haven't done it yet in the pros.

• Like 1

Lane Johnson had ankle surgery (just a clean-up) but is very questionable for Sun...

I am still playing Wentz, but I am more than a little concerned for his health in this one.

WFT has one real strength and it is the D-Line and it's ability to win with 4 down linemen...

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Lane Johnson had ankle surgery (just a clean-up) but is very questionable for Sun...

I am still playing Wentz, but I am more than a little concerned for his health in this one.

WFT has one real strength and it is the D-Line and it's ability to win with 4 down linemen...

Washington having a top 5 D-Line and maybe the worst secondary means pass funnel all day.  Short passes until D-Line gets tired, then bombs away. 

3 minutes ago, kp96 said:

How does Sanders being out affect Carson?  More passing maybe?

He will definitely pass more not just because of Sanders' absence. Washington has a strong defensive line and the Eagles offensive line is very banged up. Only Eagles I'm confident playing today would be Ertz and Scott.

The o-line is definitely a major problem, but Wentz's decision-making at times verges from bad to terrible. When things start to go south, it snowballs and he loses his composure. On top of that, I don't think the coaching staff is doing him any favors. The playcalling is not done in a way that helps Wentz out and tries to work around the protection issues, and when Wentz screws up, it doesn't seem like the coaches hold him accoutable.

It's only week one and he could still be a very good fantasy QB this year even with a bad line, but the organization needs to gameplan properly and help Wentz get his head on straight.

Edited by EaglesRocker97
13 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

The o-line is definitely a major problem, but Wentz's decision-making at times verges from bad to terrible. When things start to go south, it snowballs and he loses his composure. On top of that, I don't think the coaching staff is doing him any favors. The playcalling is not done in a way that helps Wentz out and tries to work around the protection issues, and when Wentz screws up, it doesn't seem like the coaches hold him accoutable.

It's only week one and he could still be a very good fantasy QB this year even with a bad line, but the organization needs to gameplan properly and help Wentz get his head on straight.

The question is when in the next few games would you be willing to start? 
Rams

Bengals

Ravens 

Steelers 

I’m not sure im willing to hold just because the bengals are there. I’m sure as hell im not starting against the other 3 

4 minutes ago, LAeagle said:

The question is when in the next few games would you be willing to start? 
Rams

Bengals

Ravens 

Steelers 

I’m not sure im willing to hold just because the bengals are there. I’m sure as hell im not starting against the other 3 

I generally don't jump ship on my QB after one week, and I'm a 14-team league, so there's really nothing enticing on the WW. I'm gonna ride this out for at least a few more weeks, but if someone's available in your league as a viable option, I'd go get him. I would just bench Wentz, though, I wouldn't drop him.

This is still a high-volume passing offense with a decent amount of speed and big-play potential. This team will be playing from behind a lot. If Lane Johnson is back next week, that'll give me some hope that the game won't be an abject disaster from a fantasy standpoint.

1 minute ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

I generally don't jump ship on my QB after one week, and I'm a 14-team league, so there's really nothing enticing on the WW. I'm gonna ride this out for at least a few more weeks, but if someone's available in your league as a viable option, I'd go get him. I would just bench Wentz, though, I wouldn't drop him.

This is still a high-volume passing offense with a decent amount of speed and big-play potential. This team will be playing from behind a lot. If Lane Johnson is back next week, that'll give me some hope that the game won't be an abject disaster from a fantasy standpoint.

Minshew? 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, EaglesRocker97 said:

Yeah that is pretty much where I am. Only have him in 1 league--a 14 teamer and only got him because I was at the end of a snake and got caught waiting too long. There were 13 QBs selected before him too. Almost every starter is owned and I have Lock on the bench. Hoping for a solid showing out of him tonight, because I can't start Wentz against some of the teams coming up.