NBC Sports Edge Forums

Carson Wentz 2020 Outlook

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Gohawks said:

This dude is arguably the worst starting QB in the entire NFL

I agree, I can't think of a starting QB in the league that would supplant him. The dropoff from the past two years to this year is astounding. As bad as the O-Line is, this crosseyed ginger seems to have totally forgotten how to play football. 

• Haha 5
10 hours ago, bangarrang said:

He shouldn't be anywhere near fantasy lineups. There's no eagles player that I'm confident in right now though I'm not benching Sanders if I have him.

Close to benching Sanders at this rate too...inconceivable they are just forgetting about their good RB in the backfield. Wentz is single handedly destroying this team. 

He is a bum but one that has surprisingly managed to not wreck my scoring even when he's playing like garbage, because then he spend the entire second half passing against prevent defenses that don't care about giving up a TD or two with the game out of hand. His floor is still basically around 20 points, which can get the job done if you're strong at other positions. But you'll have to deal with the stress of watching your QB have 10 points at the end of the third quarter before the garbage collecting begins. Even with good weather, this was always a tough matchup for Wentz against a strong front-seven and for a defense totally devoid of talent in the LB corps taking on a a top-2 running team.

The silver lining is that today actually could've been much worse given the miserable on-field conditions on top of the player's regression. The 4th qtr. TD seems virtually automatic, regardless of how poorly they're playing. I'm in a deep league where nearly every other startable QB is rostered, so I'm going to ride it out with him given lack of alternatives. I think there's still upside here even with him playing horribly, however, because the offense still runs through him, and Pederson is addicted to calling pass plays. When it's a matchup that you know will have them trailing by wide margins for the majority of the game to the degree that the running game will be abandoned early, I would still be intrigued by those matchups. Seattle is a great team with a high-scoring offense and bottom-end pass defense. They'll probably be leading by two or three touchdowns by the beginning of the second quarter and their defensive line will shut down running game and force Philly's offense to be one-dimensional. Am I starting Wentz next week? Certainly.

Edited by EaglesRocker97
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, dorwell said:

How did he came up with 20 points in the garbage time? He should have ended with 8 that would have mirrored his quality in this match. 

He's doing his best Blake bortles qb1 impression. Don't watch the game or check your score until games over I guess 

• Like 1

That pick 6 Wentz threw today was, 100% serious, one of the worst, most embarrassing throws I have ever seen in the NFL. 

Why the Eagles insisted on continuing to throw the ball as often as they did, even in short yardage situations, made absolutely zero sense. 

This team is a dumpster fire and Wentz is the hot garbage fueling it. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

That pick 6 Wentz threw today was, 100% serious, one of the worst, most embarrassing throws I have ever seen in the NFL. 

Why the Eagles insisted on continuing to throw the ball as often as they did, even in short yardage situations, made absolutely zero sense. 

This team is a dumpster fire and Wentz is the hot garbage fueling it. 

Was he not hit by the defender when he threw? It looked like he was and why the ball floated. If I’m wrong, then yes, that was a horrendous throw 

• Like 1
Just now, PackerBacker555 said:

Was he not hit by the defender when he threw? It looked like he was and why the ball floated. If I’m wrong, then yes, that was a horrendous throw 

I was in a sports bar but from what I could see it wasn’t tipped and it seemed like he got it off before he was touched but I guess that would make sense. Either way Wentz looked awful.

52 minutes ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Yes, and this is a recurring problem. He seems to have zero pocket awareness. Many of his interceptions come when he's a statue in the pocket and doesn't seem to sense the rush at all, so he's frequently contacted by one or multiple 300-lb. lineman as he's releasing the pass. It's easy to see that a lot of his inaccuracy is related to poor footwork and pocket presence. The line is a legitimate problem that I wouldn't expect anyone to really have success behind, but he's not doing himself any favors by being oblivious to it.

I don't know what the hell happened to this guy. When he came out, his accuracy was at least respectable, his instincts and pre-snap recognition were considered elite, and he was known as a freakish athlete who could use his legs to avoid the rush and either pass the ball well while on the run or scramble to safety. He's literally doing the opposite of everything that made him an elite prospect. The extremity and of his regression has truly been a spectacle. Some guys just don't have the psyche or coping mechanisms to continually improve and fail due to personal limitations, but I think a fall from grace this dramatic is at least partially the product of external factors. I've been questioning whether the organization created the right kind of environment for his growth and development, and it seems to be the case more each week. He's been coddled by a Front Office that has created this narrative about him being the chosen one since day 1. They've been content with coaches who are inexperienced and unqualified but are given the job because they get along with Wentz and won't ruffle his feathers. He hasn't been challenged or been held accountable for his mistakes, and it's allowed him to develop a dismissive attitude toward his failings.

I think Wentz came into the league with an ego that could be managed, but instead of managing it, they helped inflate it further, despite the need for him to double-down and recommit to his craft to get all the way back from the injuries. They actively encouraged his resistance to self-awareness, and we ruining him. We're witnessing the consequences of taking a potential MVP and instilling him with an egotistical loser mentality of never owning up to your mistakes and living in this warped reality of thinking that every day after an embarrassing loss is just another day in paradise. This is a case of a "Golden  Boy" gone mad with a particularly corrosive form of insanity that was actively promoted by Lurie and diffused through his cadre of yes-men in the front office and an army of feelgood "players coaches" leading an offensive staff that seems more concerned about hurting feelings than they are about losing football games.

Edited by EaglesRocker97
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
58 minutes ago, Islanderman said:

This dude has been awful but for the 4th straight game he is gonna be playing in rainy windy weather. Unreal, Seattle stinks against the pass. 

Seattle with Dunlap hasn’t been nearly as bad and they’ve been down their best corner in Griffin who is coming back.

Is the defense good? Not particularly but they aren’t awful anymore and not awful = LOB against Wentz. 

• Like 1

Benched without hesitation. Way too much risk with him in this situation. Not only do you figure Hurts could steal yards and TDs from Wentz, you also have to account for the extremely short leash on Wentz. If he comes out playing like a bottom-5 QB again, I'd imagine we could see Hurts by the second half. It's hard to walk away from probably the best fantasy matchup on his schedule with the knowledge that he could still put up good passing numbers in a reduced role, but it's not worth it with so much on the line.

Take the 15-20 points that you can confidently get from a replacement QB, and don't look back. Someone fortunately dumped Cam in my league, but in most deep leagues, it might not be too crazy to just snag Hurts and bet on some rookie magic.

He was bad again but watching that game you could tell why....the guy is getting hit on just about every pass play.  The OL is about the worst Ive seen and instead of adjusting with quick strikes to combat the rush...Pederson has him doing long drop backs for routes that dont have time to develop.  He obviously has the yips and is all over the place but give this guy a real OL and I bet youd see a huge improvement.....change of scenery may be a blessing.

1 minute ago, Big Tuna said:

He was bad again but watching that game you could tell why....the guy is getting hit on just about every pass play.  The OL is about the worst Ive seen and instead of adjusting with quick strikes to combat the rush...Pederson has him doing long drop backs for routes that dont have time to develop.  He obviously has the yips and is all over the place but give this guy a real OL and I bet youd see a huge improvement.....change of scenery may be a blessing.

I noticed that.

Either Pederson isnt adjusting to the obvious, which would be insane because even non coaches on here know that the playcalls should be designed to have Wentz get rid of the ball quickly, IE: Burrow in the bengals offense.

OR the plays are designed to get rid of the ball quickly, but Wentz decides to hold onto it in order to try and play the hero.

Could be either or. But the fact that they arent running the ball is just pathetic

• Like 2
2 hours ago, b_23 said:

He totally sucks. You add in horrific play calling and this is the disaster we are witnessing. Saw one play where both the slot and outside WR ran to where the middle linebacker was. One on each side of him. Like the MLB knew that the routes were both going to be right were he was.