NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ke'Bryan Hayes 2020 Outlook

Jason Mackey of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Pirates will call up Ke'Bryan Hayes before Tuesday's game against the Cubs. 

Hayes is one of the top prospects in the Pittsburgh system, and is the son of former long-time third baseman Charlie Hayes. The infielder got a late start to the 2020 season because of a positive COVID-19 test, but has been working at the alternate site since the end of July. Hayes is a third baseman who offers rare speed at the position, and he makes enough hard contact to suggest he'll be able to hit for average at the highest level. Those who need help at the corner infield positions may want to take a look at Hayes, as the Pirates will likely play him everyday down the stretch. 

Source: Jason Mackey on Twitter

Aug 31, 2020, 3:51 PM ET

And Rotoworld's write-up on same.

I know I am going on a limb but I am going to predict he is going to be a fantasy impact player down the stretch.

Good speed, good bat to ball skills, and good power. 

Just now, street sharks said:

If only 3B wasn't so damn deep

For sure.  Add Brad Miller to the pile of strong 3B.

Speed is so hard to find that Hayes needs to be rostered.

I am going to play matchups with my 3B. 

55 minutes ago, B&F said:

I know I am going on a limb but I am going to predict he is going to be a fantasy impact player down the stretch.

Good speed, good bat to ball skills, and good power. 

I guess I don't see the power, or get the hype around him, in general. Great debut and decent wheels, and he doesn't strike out much. But he's a .279 minor league hitter with 25 HR in 1,731 ABs, albeit it 17 of those came in his last 873 ABs. Maybe his power develops, but I'm just kinda "meh" about Hayes. 

15 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I guess I don't see the power, or get the hype around him, in general. Great debut and decent wheels, and he doesn't strike out much. But he's a .279 minor league hitter with 25 HR in 1,731 ABs, albeit it 17 of those came in his last 873 ABs. Maybe his power develops, but I'm just kinda "meh" about Hayes. 

I am actually on your side of the argument where I'm meh too and have never really understood the hype around him.  He does do all five baseball skills "good" or better with no major holes.

Just to play devil's advocate let's not forget Mike Trout had 23 minor league HRs in 1126 AB then almost when 30/50 in his rookie year.  By no means am I saying he's anywhere near trout and I know he's not as developed a hitter/overall player on call up date.  Just saying, sometimes guys are projected to have "future" power and sometimes when they spend enough time refining their skills in the minors, they do things against what their minor league numbers show.  The bat to ball skills make him worth a flier.  The floor when compared to others making debuts seems higher than the guys we've seen get the call and look overmatched.  

1 minute ago, Wytchclt55 said:

I am actually on your side of the argument where I'm meh too and have never really understood the hype around him.  He does do all five baseball skills "good" or better with no major holes.

Just to play devil's advocate let's not forget Mike Trout had 23 minor league HRs in 1126 AB then almost when 30/50 in his rookie year.  By no means am I saying he's anywhere near trout and I know he's not as developed a hitter/overall player on call up date.  Just saying, sometimes guys are projected to have "future" power and sometimes when they spend enough time refining their skills in the minors, they do things against what their minor league numbers show.  The bat to ball skills make him worth a flier.  The floor when compared to others making debuts seems higher than the guys we've seen get the call and look overmatched.  

Hanley Ramirez is another that comes to mind.  Never hit double digit HR's in the minors yet had multiple years of 20-30 HR's in the bigs.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, cizastro said:

Hanley Ramirez is another that comes to mind.  Never hit double digit HR's in the minors yet had multiple years of 20-30 HR's in the bigs.

And Lindor. It’s possible, and I’m not anti-Ke’Bryan or anything. Maybe he busts out in Pittsburgh. 

• Like 1

Ran across this article for anyone that owns a share and wants more hype haha

https://www.prospectslive.com/fantasy/2019/2/10/insider-trading-kebryan-hayes

'At peak, Hayes will become a WAR machine with a high OBP and emerging power. I believe .290/.380/.475 with 30 doubles, 20 home runs, and 15 steals is the peak ceiling. Hayes could easily become Matt Chapman with a plus hit tool. Buy now.'

Honestly after seeing guys like Christian Yelich, whom I wrote off as just a 10/15 with a good average hitter after he hit 20 homers in his first 14xx PAs in the majors, become one of the biggest power hitters in the bigs, any prospect with a good hit tool and projected future power is worth a flier these days. Same with Arenado. I had no clue Trout had such little HR power in the minors either, never would have guessed.

I am definitely not claiming Hayes will sniff any of those mentioned names, but with his 15sb speed at the hot corner anywhere over 20 homers with a solid triple slash becomes very fantasy relevant. His BB:K skills in the minors also look very good, which is another positive. And the fact he should stick in the lineup because his defense is so good should give his bat time to adjust to the bigs when he inevitably scuffles.

• Like 1

The question is how long will it take for him to develop that 20-25 HR power, and how patient will owners be with him. If we see that beginning to emerge as soon as next year, then that's great. But will he be a .290-12-12 guy for the next 2-3 years before we see him mature into a 20 HR hitter? I read a JoRam career comp somewhere, and that would be nice...except it took Ramirez two partial seasons and a full season of very little power before he finally burst on the scene big time in 2017. 

Dynasty leagues will have the luxury of being patient and letting him develop over time. Redrafts will not, and keeper leagues may or may not. 

• 2 weeks later...

SSS but he’s been hammering the ball so far, 95mph EV coming into today’s double header, 1 for 6 with a homer a walk and some Ks. His contact rates have been great so far, 93% zone contact, 63% o-contact and a 7.x swinging strike %.

Only issue I see is he’s hitting too many ground balls and needs to get his launch angle up, but overall so far so good. The contact rates are really nice for a first call up, I’m impressed. 

On 9/14/2020 at 8:54 PM, B&F said:

A lot of his fantasy value is going to come from being able to steal bases as a 3B.  That is not to say he won't be  good hitter.

Not necessarily. Stolen bases will be a nice added bonus, but he seems to be hitting in a prime spot in a lineup which will lead too good RBI/R opportunities. Plus I think the power is undersold.

6 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not necessarily. Stolen bases will be a nice added bonus, but he seems to be hitting in a prime spot in a lineup which will lead too good RBI/R opportunities. Plus I think the power is undersold.

His contact rates have been incredibly good so far too. A ton of contact skills and more power than advertised is a good combo. 

On 9/20/2020 at 12:55 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Hitting in a prime spot in an awful lineup like the Pirates isn't exactly great for counting stats since they suck, but still, he is doing good and at least he is hitting in a prime spot in a bad lineup.  It could be worse, as at least he's doing pretty good with Runs.

On 9/21/2020 at 2:31 PM, KilloWertz said:

Hitting in a prime spot in an awful lineup like the Pirates isn't exactly great for counting stats since they suck, but still, he is doing good and at least he is hitting in a prime spot in a bad lineup.  It could be worse, as at least he's doing pretty good with Runs.

I don’t worry too much about the lineup around guys but yeah...5 for 5 with 3 doubles tonight and he ended up with 0 RBIs lol. 3 runs at least, but that’s impressive to get 5 hits and not have anyone to push home. 

He’s going to end up hitting around .370 in his call up, I’m excited to see what he can do over a full season.