NBC Sports Edge Forums

COVID - League Plans?

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

3 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

I agree billions of dollars on the line. They will deal with these positive flare-ups team by team situation by situation. But if it becomes more and more teams affected they might go on a hiatus and shorten the season.

Yeah, I can see a scenario where the regular season and playoff structure get creative. But I think they'll do anything possible to reach the SB, whether or not it's actually a smart decision from a health and safety perspective. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not the NFLs job to find you a QB. Otherwise, all the Eagles games would be cancelled.

Posted Images

The NFL should have extended the season by 3 weeks. Cancelled all scheduled byes and made every 4 games an automatic bye for every team. This way all games could have been made up during those weeks in situations like this. They are already playing 17 weeks, adding 3 weeks for make up games wouldnt have hurt. Then in the playoffs bubble up

Edited by sneer
  • Like 1

hopefully they cancel the season i got $3500 in league fees that id like to have back. my rosters are all decimated with michael thomas, kittle, godwin, AJ brown, CMC, barkley, golladay. we'll see how greedy the NFL really is. 

update- chiefs backup QB now tested positive. yikes.

• Haha 1

Chiefs practice squad QB just tested positive also. Not sure how close practice squad players are in proximity to the active squad, but that's now a player from each side of this match up. 

This is going to get out of hand quickly. They need to put in a league wide bye week next week and just push everything back and try and get things under control.

Fantasy at this point isn't even logical, I can't even field a full starting roster this week due to having Henry, CEH, Juju, Jonnu, and Butker to go along with the rest of my actual injured players.

1 minute ago, dannyz6969 said:

hopefully they cancel the season i got $3500 in league fees that id like to have back. my rosters are all decimated with michael thomas, kittle, godwin, AJ brown, CMC, barkley, golladay. we'll see how greedy the NFL really is. 

update- chiefs backup QB now tested positive. yikes.

Yeah the guy who played LJax all week in practice.    😬

Considering implementation of a “designated backup” spot.   If you have a player get a game cancelled— commish retroactively counts that score.

3 minutes ago, GoPackGo23 said:

This is going to get out of hand quickly. They need to put in a league wide bye week next week and just push everything back and try and get things under control.

Fantasy at this point isn't even logical, I can't even field a full starting roster this week due to having Henry, CEH, Juju, Jonnu, and Butker to go along with the rest of my actual injured players.

One week is unlikely to be enough time to get things under control.

Just now, AnonymousRob said:

One week is unlikely to be enough time to get things under control.

If they put their "legitimate public health concern" hats on it would be a mandatory 14 day quarantine for everyone involved in the league.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Like 1

Even if the game is “expected” to be played Monday or Tuesday it may as well be canceled for fantasy purposes because you can’t bank on that happening and up with a goose egg.  Got to fill that spot with a player that is for sure playing tomorrow or Monday.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, yanksman said:

Interesting dilemma for those with Chiefs- Patriots. Do you risk playing them knowing the game may get postponed?

Yeah you risk it most rosters are too depleted right now anyway 

2 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Perhaps a rule can be added that anyone starting a KC or NE player can name a backup and IF the game gets postponed the backup goes onto the lineup. 

Bingo.   As of the first set of Sunday morning games-  you need to have your lineup set with currently active players plus a designated backup.  Any games cancelled after that point can use the backup score

Edited by Impreza178
4 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Interesting dilemma for those with Chiefs- Patriots. Do you risk playing them knowing the game may get postponed?

that’s the big decision of the week. It’s a blind bet.

I think the safer option is to assume the game is canceled. Titans/Steelers was initially postponed to Mon/Tues and we saw what happened there 

Edited by JDE
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Jordan Coppington said:

They’ll change their tune on this real quick once those positive results start trickling in

Maybe.  It’s no different than Terrel on the falcons testing positive overnight on Friday and the game went on without a hitch or additional case.   

Just now, Impreza178 said:

Maybe.  It’s no different than Terrel on the falcons testing positive overnight on Friday and the game went on without a hitch or additional case.   

One could say there are a whole litany of things still operating in spite of positive covid test cases.  If one were so inclined.  Whether this is wise or not is anyone's guess.  But it IS happening 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

One could say there are a whole litany of things still operating in spite of positive covid test cases.  If one were so inclined.  Whether this is wise or not is anyone's guess.  But it IS happening 

Nothing we can do except prepare for the worst and try to give managers options.    Fantasy cannot be played if half the players are hurt and multiple games are getting cancelled late.  

3 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

or maybe managers can sack the eff up and make the hard decisions of actually having to manuever the minefield. 

we're all in this together, and knew the potential consequences when we signed up 

i'm a CEH & Chiefs D owner, btw - i want ZERO mulligans on this - if it's postponed i gotta insert a CEH replacement, and toss the Chiefs D back to waivers for a replacement ... i'll manage. 

JMO— I think we’re beyond simply “managing”.  I’ve got one team with 10 players hurt or potentially in cancelled games.   One week is one thing but this is far from over.  

18 minutes ago, GoPackGo23 said:

It worked for baseball. Just have to adapt.

Just now, Impreza178 said:

Nothing we can do except prepare for the worst and try to give managers options.    Fantasy cannot be played if half the players are hurt and multiple games are getting cancelled late.  

JMO— I think we’re beyond simply “managing”.  I’ve got one team with 10 players hurt or potentially in cancelled games.   One week is one thing but this is far from over.  

undetstood, prez ... see my earlier posts. 

point i'm making is i already had to cut prime bench stash to cover Jonnu ... it's like folks wanna have their cake and eat it, too ... THEN WE'LL PUT A SHOW ON IN THE BARN AFTER DINNER!

eff that enabling ish ... make the tough roster choices to feild a lineup ... this is magick foosball, not a fireside rendition of "Kumbaya"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Perhaps a rule can be added that anyone starting a KC or NE player can name a backup and IF the game gets postponed the backup goes onto the lineup. 

Yup we did this in one league. No brainer fair fix.

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic