NBC Sports Edge Forums

COVID - League Plans?

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

Just now, Impreza178 said:

Nothing we can do except prepare for the worst and try to give managers options.    Fantasy cannot be played if half the players are hurt and multiple games are getting cancelled late.

I understand baseball is different than football, but at varying points in the season fantasy baseball managers who chose to play had to deal with the fact that the Cardinals and Marlins missed over 10 days worth of games to be made up later, in accompany with a larger rash than typical of in season injuries due to fractured spring training.  They played 100 less games, so a season decided typically in 22 weeks was decided in 7.

These are the types of things I would have suggested, if asked, that football managers need to prepare for.  Because I have no doubt a completed season will be played.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not the NFLs job to find you a QB. Otherwise, all the Eagles games would be cancelled.

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

If they put their "legitimate public health concern" hats on it would be a mandatory 14 day quarantine for everyone involved in the league.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

It doesn't make sense to do it for every team in the league.  Titans Steelers game for sure.  Patriots Chiefs game lets see how the testing goes the next couple of days but they should really burn their bye weeks too.

47 minutes ago, CooL said:

Not understanding what the threshold is to cancel games.  The Atlanta DB had Covid, game went on.  Titans lose a few players to Covid, the game is postponed this week.  Now Cam is sick and people are saying the Pats Chiefs should be postponed.  

What's the difference?  Caliber of player?  Number of players?  It doesn't make sense.  Theoretically if one player is sick, the entire team needs to quarantine for 10 days.  If they test negative, they're still at risk for developing symptoms in the next 10 days.

All this makes no sense. If someone in your family gets it you have to quarantine for 14 days. These guys spend 8+ hours a day around each other often times in very close contact. Why doesn’t it apply to them?

NFL needed to make the regular season 20-21 weeks instead of 17. 4-5 bye weeks would give them all the flexibility they need. Instead they didn’t do ****.

• Like 2
Just now, Rotocious said:

It doesn't make sense to do it for every team in the league.  Titans Steelers game for sure.  Patriots Chiefs game lets see how the testing goes the next couple of days but they should really burn their bye weeks too.

No "bye week" manipulation if everyone is quarantined.  That's my point.  Not a financial concern.  Not a football strategy or scheduling concern.  Just taking care of people.

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I understand baseball is different than football, but at varying points in the season fantasy baseball managers who chose to play had to deal with the fact that the Cardinals and Marlins missed over 10 days worth of games to be made up later, in accompany with a larger rash than typical of in season injuries due to fractured spring training.  They played 100 less games, so a season decided typically in 22 weeks was decided in 7.

These are the types of things I would have suggested, if asked, that football managers need to prepare for.  Because I have no doubt a completed season will be played.

Yep.   One of my leagues went to 4 IR spots...one went to 10.  One has a designated backup...another considering the same.    Put me squarely in the camp of making the exceptions needed to keep half the league from bailing and demanding a refund.   Cause that’s what is coming next. 

I see it @pastorofmuppets2

🔮 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

or maybe managers can sack the eff up and make the hard decisions of actually having to manuever the minefield. 

we're all in this together, and knew the potential consequences when we signed up 

i'm a CEH & Chiefs D owner, btw - i want ZERO mulligans on this - if it's postponed i gotta insert a CEH replacement, and toss the Chiefs D back to waivers for a replacement ... i'll manage. 

But we won't know if KC-NE will be played until Monday or Tuesday so I guess you are benching CEH.

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

No "bye week" manipulation if everyone is quarantined.  That's my point.  Not a financial concern.  Not a football strategy or scheduling concern.  Just taking care of people.

But even a bye week isn't 14 days and why slow the rest of the league when most other teams testing is in check.

Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

... and bow long before individual players start opting out due to health concerns?

🤔

I think those that are willing to concede their game checks this year have already made that call.  There may be a couple here and there that do now but for the most part I'm thinking we're at where we are at.

To the NFL's credit, at least they avoided a potential labor dispute by handling the financial ramifications quietly.  The rest is already in motion.

• Like 2

It will depend if they can test and isolate rosters for both teams. Obviously, in the Titans situation it got through enough of the roster they couldn't safely play.

If the Pats/Chiefs cases are isolated they should be alright for Tues, but if it's gone through the rest of the roster like the Titans it will be postponed.

Edited by LongBalls

But even a bye week isn't 14 days and why slow the rest of the league when most other teams testing is in check.

because that's how you control hot spots when there is a community outbreak, and that's what's happening.  Multiple teams have players that are testing positive.  Teams play different teams the following week, and you can spread the disease asymptomatically.

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

I think those that are willing to concede their game checks this year have already made that call.  There may be a couple here and there that do now but for the most part I'm thinking we're at where we are at.

To the NFL's credit, at least they avoided a potential labor dispute by handling the financial ramifications quietly.  The rest is already in motion.

I view this more as an example of how little power the NFL's players union has compared to The MLB.

The NFL also got to learn from how bad the MLB looked with their dispite.

Just now, yanksman said:

But we won't know if KC-NE will be played until Monday or Tuesday so I guess you are benching CEH.

understood 

point is, if i decide to wait, rather than starting someone else tomorrow, and the game is postponed, then i should be chit outta luck. 

no mulligan ... these are hard choices to make, it's part of 2020's baked in reality. 

I view this more as an example of how little power the NFL's players union has compared to The MLB.

The NFL also got to learn from how bad the MLB looked with their dispite.

That's one way to look at it.  The way I would is that NFL Owners are more financially transparent than MLB owners, and so there's a better culture of trust that leads to less labor friction.

4 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

don't put it past the NFLPA to come out on players behalf if this starts snowballing ... these are the most extraordinary circumstances in history, and one has zero precedent to base any "absolutes" on what i suggested may happen. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, atrium said:

This has all the makings of fantasy teams starting CEH/Mahomes/etc., only to have the game cancelled on Tuesday morning, and teams taking a big fat zero this week

Absolutely, HUGE ramifications

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic