NBC Sports Edge Forums

COVID - League Plans?

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

don't put it past the NFLPA to come out on players behalf if this starts snowballing ... these are the most extraordinary circumstances in history, and one has zero precedent to base any "absolutes" on what i suggested may happen. 

They were already given the opportunity though, is my point.  They have zero leverage to renegotiate anything now.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not the NFLs job to find you a QB. Otherwise, all the Eagles games would be cancelled.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

They were already given the opportunity though, is my point.  They have zero leverage to renegotiate anything now.

yep, understood. 

but, again, as i stated a few times already in this thread: read. the. room. 

they can absolutely reverse course and threaten mutiny ... they have all the leverage in the world, atm. 

think about it. 

• Like 2
Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

yep, understood. 

but, again, as i stated a few times already in this thread: read. the. room. 

they can absolutely reverse course and threaten mutiny ... they have all the leverage in the world, atm. 

think about it. 

I am thinking about it.

Baseball players had some public sympathy when they threatened a labor stoppage because -

1.) Not much was known about the disease.

2.) Players and owners agreed to a stoppage they were in the middle of and had not yet resumed, so the public at least could say, "both sides are at fault."

Ownership in the NFL has no motivation to stop right now.  If players called a strike, they'd be burned at the stake in the court of public opinion.  "These millionaires can't even play a kids game and I have to work my 9-5" and all that.

Not to mention, some of the loudest voices in terms of players who had health concerns have already opted out.  Those left don't WANT to lose their checks, which they certainly would during a strike.

It ain't happening man.

• Like 6
6 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I really wish the NFLPA would get their act together.  One of the first things they surrender when working on a new deal is playing surface demands.  I really hope they make it a priority after this Metlife fiasco.  It used to be the Steelers field IIRC, and most of us watch the joke in Mexico City every year where the playing surface is a question mark up to game time.  I really think that would cut down on injuries and for some reason has been neglected.  I remember reading after this issue back when Dr. Z wrote for SI, RIP. :(

23 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

... and how long before individual players start opting out due to health concerns?

🤔

Dude the season is getting done. I don’t know why you have to make 10 posts per page about how it’s over.

The NFL has hotel reservations pretty much into March. They’ll extend the season a few weeks if they have to and play into week 18+.  The NFL is a billion dollar corporation that relies on a 5-6 month period to make all its money. You really think it’s not going to get those months in one way or another?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I am thinking about it.

Baseball players had some public sympathy when they threatened a labor stoppage because -

1.) Not much was known about the disease.

2.) Players and owners agreed to a stoppage they were in the middle of and had not yet resumed, so the public at least could say, "both sides are at fault."

Ownership in the NFL has no motivation to stop right now.  If players called a strike, they'd be burned at the stake in the court of public opinion.  "These millionaires can't even play a kids game and I have to work my 9-5" and all that.

Not to mention, some of the loudest voices in terms of players who had health concerns have already opted out.  Those left don't WANT to lose their checks, which they certainly would during a strike.

It ain't happening man.

i'm trying my best to sidestep the minefield of socio-political ramifications that exist in a FAR greater number in the NFL than MLB. 

you'll likely counter with "but, yeah ... NBA!"

and it's a prescient point. 

but they did not encounter this level of fustercluck once they reported back ... if they did, you can bet yer sweet bippy there would've been massive action taken by the players. 

i can't nuance it any better, lest this gets dragged straight into a peripheral discourse which will see this thread locked. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Just now, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i'm trying my best to sidestep the minefield of socio-political ramifications that exist in a FAR greater number in the NFL than MLB. 

but they did not encounter this level of fustercluck once they reported back ... if they did, you can bet yer sweet bippy there would've been massive action taken by the players. 

i can't nuance it any better, lest this gets dragged straight into a peripheral discourse which will see this thread locked. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree man.

All I'll say is, I haven't actually bet money, but every time one of these sportsball discussions has come up where someone said, "won't happen, Covid."  And someone else responded "will happen, $."  Group B is batting 1.000.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Dude the season is getting done. I don’t know why you have to make 10 posts per page about how it’s over.

The NFL has hotel reservations pretty much into March. They’ll extend the season a few weeks if they have to and play into week 18+.  The NFL is a billion dollar corporation that relies on a 5-6 month period to make all its money. You really think it’s not going to get those months in one way or another?

i don't wanna see it cancelled either, hawks ... just looking at it from a different perspective. 

i would love to see it play out without further incident, but, losing hope, man. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

Everyone understands your position. Most in this thread just disagrees and thinks they’ll figure out how to finish because of $$$$$$$$. Time will tell. You keep saying read the room. I read the room, cash rules man...

Edited by owenmills
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

COVID is the over-arching issue, but with no preseason and now players "normal weekly schedules and routines" being changed so dramatically, injuries can become even more of an issue.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i don't wanna see it cancelled either, hawks ... just looking at it from a different perspective. 

i would love to see it play out without further incident, but, losing hope, man. 

There ARE going to be further incidents throughout the season. They planned for this. None of this is surprising or something the league didn’t spend millions preparing for.

Edited by Magoo
3 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

I’m not saying it won’t play without incident but the NFL will have a Super Bowl champ for the 2020 season. It may be kicking and screaming getting dragged across the finish line but it’s going to happen.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mjb said:

Appears you can’t play fantasy football during Covid. If you somehow avoid it, you will win. 2020 🗑

Sucks. If Chiefs don’t play I won’t even be able to have a starting lineup in one league even with IR. Just brutal when you factor in injuries due to limited prep

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Normally I would agree...but money and greed are not the determining factors in whether the 2020 season is completed. 

If enough teams have breakouts,the schedule will become impossible to manage and players will start flat refusing to play en masse.    I don’t know how much flexibility the nfl has in extending the season-  or if that even helps.  

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Impreza178 said:

Normally I would agree...but money and greed are not the determining factors in whether the 2020 season is completed. 

If enough teams have breakouts,the schedule will become impossible to manage and players will start flat refusing to play en masse.    I don’t know how much flexibility the nfl has in extending the season-  or if that even helps.  

If that happens then they’ll pause for a few weeks and tighten restrictions. I doubt a bubble but forcing teams to stay in hotels and only moving between hotels and the field for the most part. Something like that.

Fantasy football may go to **** but again, I’m fairly certain there will be a 2020 champ. May be in March but it’ll happen.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

cancelation is closer to reality than finishing. 

i've said enough on the matter - i don't see this ending well at all. 

I don’t know what your agenda is, but you keep saying the same thing every few posts.

The NFL is not going to cancel the season. You act like the NFL thought this wasn’t going to happen and they were expecting 0 Covid cases this season.

There are 32 teams. One team has it and Cam Newton.

If anything, maybe more teams will start following protocols a little more and taking them more seriously.

Edited by tpat30
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Just now, Gohawks said:

If that happens then they’ll pause for a few weeks and tighten restrictions. I doubt a bubble but forcing teams to stay in hotels and only moving between hotels and the field for the most part. Something like that.

Fantasy football may go to **** but again, I’m fairly certain there will be a 2020 champ. May be in March but it’ll happen.

Probably the most likely scenario.  College football is going to be worse 

7 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Sucks. If Chiefs don’t play I won’t even be able to have a starting lineup in one league even with IR. Just brutal when you factor in injuries due to limited prep

haha.jpg

• Haha 2

By the way, the Patriots have been doing mass testing and there’s been no sign of an outbreak. I know it can take a few days but initial sign is optimistic.

They would have played tomorrow if this happened Thu-Fri but they need a day or so to confirm.

• Thanks 1
  • tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic