NBC Sports Edge Forums

COVID - League Plans?

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

Just now, GoPackGo23 said:

literally my whole starting lineup is on my bench, and I can't just cut my starters to make room for a JV squad this week.

oh, you CAN ... you just choose not to. 

that is not anyone else's problem but yours ... the leeg has no biz legislating protocol that assuages this. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not the NFLs job to find you a QB. Otherwise, all the Eagles games would be cancelled.

Posted Images

Just now, FitzMagic said:

GTD is different. The game will still be played. I could actually pick some random on a MNF game if my guy gets ruled out. If this COVID Bowl gets canceled there are no options left. That's the point of the conversation here.

did you not read this part of my post? 

8 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i know, i know ... the cancelled games are different, right?

perhaps, but the principle is the exact same. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

Maybe, but it's something you can plan for... if the league says the Chiefs may or may not play this week, you can't adjust to that.

Sure you can... I’m benching Tyreek (regardless if he plays or not) and I had to drop a player and picked up Graham to cover for Kelce.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Hops said:

Not trying to be argumentative, but this is a bit exaggerated. Depending on the number of actual player swaps that were needed at the end of the week, it would probably take about 5-10 mins to accomplish on Yahoo. 

Yeah and what if your “replacement player” (lol) has their game cancelled? How deep are we willing to go here? It’s a can of worms and anybody that doesn’t think there will be potential ramifications to changing rules midseason and operating outside of the framework of a yahoo/espn/cbs etc. is being incredibly naive or intentionally obtuse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean this just sucks a** there’s no other way to put. In 2QB leagues it’s particularly rough.  My league is doing the replacement bench player thing but I don’t have anyone on my bench to slot in due to Covid byes and injuries.  It’s just how the cookie crumbles sometimes but fantasy just feels bad this year.

2 minutes ago, Asian Sensation said:

Sure you can... I’m benching Tyreek (regardless if he plays or not) and I had to drop a player and picked up Graham to cover for Kelce.

Cool. Glad that works for your league. Doesn't work for every league though.  

7 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

did you not read this part of my post? 

Yeah I read it. That's why it didn't make sense to bring up GTD and injuries. Nobody cares about that. A lifeline exists with GTD because at least one game is still being played. None exists if a game is canceled. Therefore, there should be a lifeline, correct? Since you want to compare this as apples to apples in your argument. There is a safety for players who are GTD normally, right? Get my point?

Edited by FitzMagic
Just now, FitzMagic said:

Yeah I read it. That's why it didn't make sense to bring up GTD and injuries. Nobody cares about that. A lifeline exists with GTD because at least one game is still being played. None exists if a game is canceled. Therefore, there should be a lifeline, correct? Since you want to compare this as apples to apples in your argument. There is a safety for players who at GTD normally, right? Get my point?

GOOD FOR THE GOOSE, GOOD FOR THE GANDER! 🦤

how ya like them apples?

26 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

look, if that's what you wanna implement, then cool - good luck. 

but i would never participate in any leeg that mandated such shennanigans after the season started. 

that's it. 

What are your thoughts on adding extra IR slots because of this?

7 minutes ago, GoPackGo23 said:

We tried to plan for this and added extra IR spots for Covid. The problem is since they aren't technically out/put on IR, ESPN physically won't let you move players into those slots. So in my case...right now I have Henry, CEH, Mostert, Adams, Juju, Jonnu, Steelers D, and Butker. I'm not able to put any of those players on IR and might have to field an incomplete lineup because literally my whole starting lineup is on my bench, and I can't just cut my starters to make room for a JV squad this week. The problem here is that players getting taken away by postponed/canceled games can't be transferred into the Covid IR slots due to platform restrictions, and a lot of leagues set in place measures to try and accommodate this but now it's useless.

Well clearly in this situation have to cut your losses with Butker and Pittsburgh D and drop them for some replacements to start or accept that you have a loss coming up and at least should have some of the “byes” out the way early.

In one league I’m in I’ve had Barkley, Mostert, Lindsay, Michel, Burkhead. With NE now possibly not playing, am down to starting Homer and Thompson from JAX. In that same league also carrying Godwin and Jonnu so have done the best I can to cover but likely expecting a loss. Just the way it goes sometimes - the luck of the draw.

COVID was hanging over this season before it started and if you aren’t able to deal with what was always going to be an unusual season then perhaps should have sat this fantasy season out. Just saying...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Rotocious said:

This is telling of how much more control and leverage ownership has been allowed over the players.

Also they had much more time to reach an agreement as well as got to watch The NBA, NHL, and MLB do it long before they had to.

The NFL by far makes the most money yet they take money away from guys who get hurt in a game that naturally has the most inuries.  Its ridiculous and I don't know how and when the players union just bent over and took that.

Another glaring example of how messed up The NFL is just look at the size of the draft.  For the amount if turnover and comparative roster size The NFL Draft should be many more rounds.

Labor gets the shaft from ownership in every professional sports league, IMO.  It's just that in the NFL we know exactly how profitable teams are.  MLB owners aren't even willing to disclose the information.  It makes for a much more toxic financial model.

Maybe baseball players (the extremely wealthy ones) see some kind of short term gain out of that.  But there are also thousands of minor leaguers for instance that get screwed in the bargain, and they don't even know by how much they are being screwed by.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Black_Panther said:

Well clearly in this situation have to cut your losses with Butker and Pittsburgh D and drop them for some replacements to start or accept that you have a loss coming up and at least should have some of the “byes” out the way early.

In one league I’m in I’ve had Barkley, Mostert, Lindsay, Michel, Burkhead. With NE now possibly not playing, am down to starting Homer and Thompson from JAX. In that same league also carrying Godwin and Jonnu so have done the best I can to cover but likely expecting a loss. Just the way it goes sometimes - the luck of the draw.

COVID was hanging over this season before it started and if you aren’t able to deal with what was always going to be an unusual season then perhaps should have sat this fantasy season out. Just saying...

post of the year candidate. 

this is how ya sack up, fellas. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Black_Panther said:

The issue I'm trying to point out is that many leagues tried to put in ways to deal with it by creating Covid IR slots, but those are proving useless because instead of players getting labeled as IR due to Covid, it seems like the league is more likely to just wipe entire games. So if this happens to several teams in a week and over half your roster isn't actually playing a game that week, there's really nothing you can do and those Covid IR slots are completely pointless.

32 minutes ago, Hops said:

Not trying to be argumentative, but this is a bit exaggerated. Depending on the number of actual player swaps that were needed at the end of the week, it would probably take about 5-10 mins to accomplish on Yahoo. 

For the normal people like you and I, yes. But for the guys who play in 10-15 leagues their schedule is blown for the next 3 months managing this madness 😂

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

I think not, because only individual players can go to IR due to COVID. As you know those extra IR spots do nothing for players not on the COVID list, regardless if it affects entire games. So, you didn't add the IR sports for games that are postponed.

Bingo...Thank you

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

So if you're a contending team, and you have Mahomes or Haskins... and Kelce or Fells... and Tyreke Hill or Kenny Stills? What do you do?

Is it possible to beat your opponent with those backups?  If not, then keep the chiefs in and pray to the football gods.

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

I have implemented a temporary policy that teams can designate backups for any Chiefs or Pats ahead of kickoff tomorrow. No way it's fair to force owners to choose ahead of time whether to sit or start players for a game that might not happen.

If I have to continue that most weeks, so be it.

Bingo...Thank you

56 minutes ago, BrianM said:

I'm thinking of doing the following last minute:   Anyone who wants to start a NE/KC player can choose an insurance player.  If Sunday comes and goes, and Monday the KC/NE game gets postponed, what are people supposed to do?  My thought-  formally name insurance players before Sunday.   If NE-KC happens, better or worse, you get your player from that game.  If it gets postponed, ONLY if that happens, you get a Sunday guy on your bench instead.   

Bingo...Thank you

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, GoPackGo23 said:

The issue I'm trying to point out is that many leagues tried to put in ways to deal with it by creating Covid IR slots, but those are proving useless because instead of players getting labeled as IR due to Covid, it seems like the league is more likely to just wipe entire games. So if this happens to several teams in a week and over half your roster isn't actually playing a game that week, there's really nothing you can do and those Covid IR slots are completely pointless.

again, there IS something you can do, but hardly anyone here wants to ... and, again, it's not the leeg's problem, it's the individual's problem. 

For starters, the platform you use is EXTREMELY important in a year like this. We’ve always used Fleaflicker, GREAT platform. Fleaflicker has already designated the canceled games (and even defenses) to “CVP”, COVID postponed. All of those players can be added to IR. However, even if they weren’t designated as Covid, as Commish you can adjust settings so that ANY player can be put on IR. This way you can manually monitor and implement your own customized rules. 

I posted way back over a month ago the rules I implemented for my league. I have to say, everything so far has gone incredibly well and without ANY hitch whatsoever. If anyone is interested I’d be more than happy to post the rules I implemented. Or I’d be happy to answer any questions, be more than happy to help. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Is it possible to beat your opponent with those backups?  If not, then keep the chiefs in and pray to the football gods.

Not all leagues have "opponents". You guys need to stop thinking that your league is the same as every other league.

2 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Not all leagues have "opponents". You guys need to stop thinking that your league is the same as every other league.

I made an assumption that your league is head to head.  Call me crazy.

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic