NBC Sports Edge Forums

COVID - League Plans?

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not the NFLs job to find you a QB. Otherwise, all the Eagles games would be cancelled.

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

I was one who didn't think we'd even get to three weeks in. I was wrong but now with games being cancelled I really do think it is on thin ice. No one else feels like this season is about over? Even if it isn't how do we keep playing fantasy? It just seems really unfair and impossible. 

I'm not understanding this mindset. Didn't we all decide to still play fantasy this season knowing that we'd run into these issues throughout the year?

Everyone in my league paid knowing this and knowing you could lose a star at anytime due to Covid. Every team runs the risk, so I think it makes it fair. It adds a little bit of strategy with a lot of unpredictability.

I still feel the NFL in no way will cancel. Once again, we only have the Patriots and the Titans right now. Patriots haven't been that bad. I'm surprised they cancelled with a staff member testing positive, but I'm guessing they mean coaching staff?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, Flint55 said:

In 1993 the NFL had an 18 week schedule which included 2 byes.  They probably schould have done that for this season for more flexibility if needed.  

Yes they should've.  The total lack of foresight and planning by Goodell is pretty astounding also considering they got to see how other pro sports handled it before their season even started.  They should installed a COVID makeup game week at end of season as a minimal contingency.

1 minute ago, JetsAwesome said:

Yes they should've.  The total lack of foresight and planning by Goodell is pretty astounding also considering they got to see how other pro sports handled it before their season even started.  They should installed a COVID makeup game week at end of season as a minimal contingency.

Didn't they sort of already plan that in? But it is only a contingency if the have to resort to it? Otherwise the scheduling goes as planned.

6 minutes ago, atdharris said:

Seems doubtful that the Titans and Bills play this week now. What a disaster

to be completely honest it would be irresponsible of the NFL to play that Titans game due to the multiple covid cases over the last two weeks especially after the one this morning.

• Like 1
Just now, JetsAwesome said:

to be completely honest it would be irresponsible of the NFL to play that Titans game due to the multiple covid cases over the last two weeks especially after the one this morning.

Why? If no players test positive, and haven’t for multiple days, why cancel because of a staff positive?

Just now, Butters said:

Why? If no players test positive, and haven’t for multiple days, why cancel because of a staff positive?

Because the virus can lay dormant for days before spreading to others. Hence, the Titans going a couple days without anything and then experiencing another outbreak. It isn't very well understand still. Titans/Bills isn't happening this week and shouldn't. Titans game next week is going to be in question still as well.

Fantasy owners of Bills players suffer a loss this week, but an overall win in that they don't have to possibly experience what owners of Titans players are currently going through.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Butters said:

the virus has a median incubation period of 5-6 days there's a chance that staff member could've interacted with players anywhere within that window..  A positive player test on Monday could mean nothing on Tuesday or Wed since the incubation isn't immediate.

Edited by JetsAwesome
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

My backup to my backup for COVID might not even play now. LOL, what a mess. And people said you should have made a plan.

tenor.gif

If you were good at FF, you'd draft players who aren't on teams that would have bad COVID protocols, or who were going to play against such teams.

Edited by ZappB
  • Haha 8
4 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

the virus has a median incubation period of 5-6 days there's a chance that staff member could've interacted with players anywhere within that window..  A positive player test on Monday could mean nothing on Tuesday or Wed since the incubation isn't immediate.

That’s assuming the staff member was around players. Which is certainly possible. But it’s also possible that since they have spent little time in their facility, that the staff member got it outside of team events.

Just now, Butters said:

That’s assuming the staff member was around players. Which is certainly possible. But it’s also possible that since they have spent little time in their facility, that the staff member got it outside of team events.

They are using contact tracing. 

Just now, mulhollandvelvet said:

I feel like these games should be forfeits for the Titans. 

Morally I agree with the forfeits, but my issue is that its not fair for the teams who don't get free wins from the Titans simply due to luck with the schedule.  Kinda makes the championship not legit.

3 minutes ago, kp96 said:

Morally I agree with the forfeits, but my issue is that its not fair for the teams who don't get free wins from the Titans simply due to luck with the schedule.  Kinda makes the championship not legit.

The same thing can be said about fantasy teams who get a dealt bad hand. It is what it is this year. I’d rather have some football (the COVID free games) and a fantasy season than none.

Edited by ponchsox
1 minute ago, ponchsox said:

The same thing can be said about fantasy teams who get a dealt bad hand. It is what it is this year. I’d rather have some football (COVID free) and a fantasy season than none.

Totally fair and reasonable.  I just think it taints the season but I can see the value of the forfeits too.

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic