NBC Sports EDGE Forums

COVID - League Plans?

oliminator123

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

4 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

Colder weather will only make this virus worse.

I'm anticipating a league-wide cancellation of the season or postponement, similar to what the NBA did.

Bring on the NFL bubble.

I thought i heard from a respectable source the warm/hot weather would kill the virus . 

1 hour ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Can someone explain to me their league plans for COVID, like what happens in your league if someone gets covid? Are there replacement players? My league is arguing that Covid is the same as an injury status going into the game. Thoughts?

Too bad there isn't a 70 page thread discussing this exact situation. No idea what to do, guess we'll never have an answer

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

It's a very possible reality. Why not face the truth?

It's a dead-end conversation. It's possible sure, but the league will do everything in it's power to avoid it. As far as I'm concerned, it's borderline trolling unless you want to take it to the commissioner thread and talk about fantasy-league remedies for a shutdown.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Play ball... no more testing. 

Every league I am in there is NO designation player. I believe it’s the only way . 
You live with the sword you die with the sword. 

They might as well stop the testing at this point. Titans had multiple days of positive test and a positive test after the last game was delayed and instead of postponing they just went ahead and had it on tuesday since the testing after was "negative". The NFL is gonna play these games unless players end up in the hospital. I've fell for the "such and such may not play" twice. Wont happen again. Start your starters no matter what. They don't want to rearrange any more games at this point

So our league has wisely adopted the "submit a would-be substitute for a Covid affected player before 1 pm Sunday" method.  My question is, would it be wise to just make it a habit to submit substitutions every Sunday for any Monday night guys,  just in case, whether Covid has been mentioned as a potential problem or not?  I mean, it couldn't hurt, right?  What is the likelyhood that you would hear nothing negative all week and then bam, you wake up Monday and no MNF bc Covid?

9 hours ago, steakaficianado said:

Too bad there isn't a 70 page thread discussing this exact situation. No idea what to do, guess we'll never have an answer

What are you talking about? 

This is a 70 page thread that offers almost nothing of any use. 

It's just whining and shut down the season posts. 

This person has a legitimate question, and I'd point him to the right spot, but I don't want all the whiny shut it down complainers finding that thread. 

So, if that guy you quoted sees this post... 

The answer isn't here, but seek harder and you will find the answers you need. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, CletisVanDamme said:

So our league has wisely adopted the "submit a would-be substitute for a Covid affected player before 1 pm Sunday" method.  My question is, would it be wise to just make it a habit to submit substitutions every Sunday for any Monday night guys,  just in case, whether Covid has been mentioned as a potential problem or not?  I mean, it couldn't hurt, right?  What is the likelyhood that you would hear nothing negative all week and then bam, you wake up Monday and no MNF bc Covid?

I have this rule, I laid out the rule very clearly as we voted on it. 

The deadline to create the post (we call it a callout) is by Sunday kickoffs (noon for us down here in Texas). 

Last week I made a callout and I was the only one, because if a COVID positive test happened on a Monday to my guy I assume I'm F'd and the game is canceled. 

I was the only one that made a callout. 

That's laziness right there IMO from my league mates. It took 5 seconds to ensure I didn't take a zero. 

Short answer... Yes, make a callout every Sunday for all Monday / Tuesday night games. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CletisVanDamme said:

My league only does this for the covid rescheduled games on mon/tues. Not a regular monday game like dal/ari.

1 minute ago, CletisVanDamme said:

Interesting...so a random, completely unforeseen cancellation of MNF (due to Covid) leaves everyone effed?  Promise no sarcasm here..just double checking.

Yep. Just like any other year if la lighting storm cancels a random mnf game or something. Just like if a snf game gets cancelled after all your other guys played you get screwed. But it was a normal scheduled game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CletisVanDamme said:

Interesting...so a random, completely unforeseen cancellation of MNF (due to Covid) leaves everyone effed?  Promise no sarcasm here..just double checking.

Yes. To me, a last second Covid outbreak (say for Dal/Zona) would be no different than Kyler pulling a hammy pregame. If there's no known issue by kickoff on Sunday, there's no need for designated backups. 

*Knocks on wood

13 minutes ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

The deadline to create the post (we call it a callout) is by Sunday kickoffs (noon for us down here in Texas). 

Last week I made a callout and I was the only one, because if a COVID positive test happened on a Monday to my guy I assume I'm F'd and the game is canceled. 

I was the only one that made a callout. 

That's laziness right there IMO from my league mates. It took 5 seconds to ensure I didn't take a zero. 

Short answer... Yes, make a callout every Sunday for all Monday / Tuesday night games. 

Yep. I adopted basically the same rule. Told my league mates to text me their Subs before 10AM(pacific time) kickoffs. Has to be equal position, so QB-QB, RB-RB, etc. Only if the game is cancelled, which we haven’t seen yet. At least this lets my guys to start their players with confidence.

9 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Yes. To me, a last second Covid outbreak (say for Dal/Zona) would be no different than Kyler pulling a hammy pregame. If there's no known issue by kickoff on Sunday, there's no need for designated backups. 

*Knocks on wood

Foolish logic I'm thankful was out voted in my league. 

A season should be based on games played for a TEAM.

An individual can get injured. An individual can get suspended. An individual can get COVID. 

BUT if the Vikings have a rescheduled game to week 18, how on earth can you justify that to your league when the Vikings only get 14 games in a season (assuming your championship week is week 16) and every other team gets 15?

This isn't kyker Murray got hurt. 

This is THE VIKINGS lost a game. 

Completely unreasonable argument to me personally. There's literally no Grey area here for me. It's black and white and that argument is unjustified to me. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brettg57 said:

Yep. I adopted basically the same rule. Told my league mates to text me their Subs before 10AM(pacific time) kickoffs. Has to be equal position, so QB-QB, RB-RB, etc. Only if the game is cancelled, which we haven’t seen yet. At least this lets my guys to start their players with confidence.

Very logical and justified IMO. 

I'd personally call out every Monday / Tuesday night game all season... As I currently am doing personally when I have players affected by those games. 

Only check in this thread occasionally to see if any NEW concerns come up, and I’m continuously shocked to read a page or 2 and still see no reference to the best ball setup. 

As Commish I implemented the Best Ball strategy before the season began and we’ve had absolutely ZERO issues whatsoever. None. For the canceled games thus far, each team with a player in that game has been allowed to pick up a player (a quick 3 minute Zoom call and last week a league text chat, supplemental snake draft order based on standings) to replace the cancelled player. After the week is over (this week, WED morning), all players picked up were released back to the player pool and our subsequent waivers were pushed from WED this week to Thursday. 

So far, everything has run without a hitch. No additional calls, texts, what if scenarios, etc, etc to worry about and deal with. Much less work for me as Commish and a lot less work for team owners as well. 

Edited by Sonny_D

12 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Only check in this thread occasionally to see if any NEW concerns come up, and I’m continuously shocked to read a page or 2 and still see no reference to the best ball setup. 

As Commish I implemented the Best Ball strategy before the season began and we’ve had absolutely ZERO issues whatsoever. None. For the canceled games thus far, each team with a player in that game has been allowed to pick up a player (a quick 3 minute Zoom call and last week a league text chat, supplemental snake draft order based on standings) to replace the cancelled player. After the week is over (this week, WED morning), all players picked up were released back to the player pool and our subsequent waivers were pushed from WED this week to Thursday. 

So far, everything has run without a hitch. No additional calls, texts, what if scenarios, etc, etc to worry about and deal with. Much less work for me as Commish and a lot less work for team owners as well. 

Best ball is for lazy commissioners and managers who don’t want to set lineups. Most of us like setting lineups.

Bragging about how little work you’re doing right now is a cool story, bro.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Best ball is for lazy commissioners and managers who don’t want to set lineups. Most of us like setting lineups.

Bragging about how little work you’re doing right now is a cool story, bro.

Lol, that’s funny. It’s called planning ahead for an unprecedented season and avoiding conflict. But hey, you do you brother. 70 page thread would seem to indicate turbulent times ahead. Good luck to you and your league though. 

Oh, and Best Ball is a format that awards teams with the best overall production and helps mitigate some of the luck factor. But that’s a discussion for a different topic. You seem to be a bit too obtuse to understand anyway. 

Edited by Sonny_D
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

We as a group (all my football leagues) knew this Covid might cause havoc. We agreed if your player or team didn’t play you better have all your bases covered. Internet age driven information is available 24/7. Covid was there it just didn’t sneak up on us we seen what happen in MLB. We were prepared, added additional bench & IR spots. 

Playing this game you must be prepared ... 

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic