NBC Sports Edge Forums

COVID - League Plans?

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

32 minutes ago, UVA_Drew said:

I’m not sure why people keep pushing this narrative. Postponing the game isn’t about doing Baltimore a favor or leniency. It’s about attempting to stop the spread in what appears to be a full on outbreak within their organization. 

They continue to have multiple positives each day, you can’t possibly have the whole team travel to the stadium, interact all day, and play in a game. You’re going to infect the entire team, plus more. Positive tests don’t appear immediately, there is an incubation period.

It’s not about being lenient to the Ravens who have a short lineup, it’s keep everyone isolated from each other until they are certain this outbreak is contained. 

Hell, they aren’t even allowed to congregate together at their facilities till Monday at the earliest, and likely later if there are more positives today. 

It is quite literally impossible to play on Sunday. 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not the NFLs job to find you a QB. Otherwise, all the Eagles games would be cancelled.

Posted Images

If at all possible to play this week by Tuesday from a safety standpoint it should be done. 

It should not be moved because the Ravens are at a competitive disadvantage this week

If we want to talk about a competitive disadvantage, look at this very possible scenario if this game gets moved to week 18 and particularly if it is the only week 18 game (or one of very few games) . . . 

- Steelers and Ravens play week 18

- Rest of playoff teams have the week off and essentially get a bye.

- Steelers wind up 15-1 or 14-2 and do not get a bye, while the Chiefs win the #1 seed and do get a bye OR the NFL decides to go with 16 team playoff (which has already been brought up as a possibility if games are rescheduled.)

- All the other playoff teams have a week off before the playoffs, EXCEPT the steelers who are the #1 or #2 seed in the AFC.

Now THAT would be a competitive disadvantage (FYI I am NOT a Steelers fan)

Edited by nyg350
8 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

If the game is played then its all about$$$$$ and not the Safety of players AND their families.

Every person employed by every football team has the choice to opt out if they are concerned with safety. 

They choose to to participate. For some living life > safety.

If it were ALL about money they would have played the prime time game on Thanksgiving.

Edited by this guy right here
1 minute ago, this guy right here said:

Every person employed by every football team has the choice to opt out if they are concerned with safety.

They choose to to participate. For some living life > safety.

The league still has a responsibility to keep or atleast try to keep them safe. Just because they opted in doesn't mean it's every man for himself.

1 minute ago, SyNdicateZ said:

The league still has a responsibility to keep or atleast try to keep them safe. Just because they opted in doesn't mean it's every man for himself.

Some people prefer to take responsibility for themselves rather than having someone take care of them. If they opt in they know the risk. I'm sure they had to sign a waiver absolving the league of any responsibility involving the virus. If not the league would already be being sued.

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Some people prefer to take responsibility for themselves rather than having someone take care of them. If they opt in they know the risk. I'm sure they had to sign a waiver absolving the league of any responsibility involving the virus. If not the league would already be being sued.

Agreed. Although, if anymore positive test pop up then I would be surprised the game is played. This would be against the protocol the NFL has with Covid situations. If they go against protocol still, its a bad look. imo . We must not ignore the fact that the NFL and Teams had to Convince these players that they are taking every saftey step for them not to contract covid before players felt comfortable with opting in. The league and teams still have a saftey responsibly for all out outbreaks.. but yes, the players cant sue the league.

5 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Agreed. Although, if anymore positive test pop up then I would be surprised the game is played. This would be against the protocol the NFL has with Covid situations. If they go against protocol still, its a bad look. imo . We must not ignore the fact that the NFL and Teams had to Convince these players that they are taking every saftey step for them not to contract covid before players felt comfortable with opting in. The league and teams still have a saftey responsibly for all out outbreaks.. but yes, the players cant sue the league.

Everything that the league has done so far flies in the face of people who demand safety. The teams that have had to play with many/important players on the covid list should be furious when other teams get preferential treatment. How about PIT? They have seemingly taken the correct precautions yet they have to accommodate multiple teams that haven't. This is the pandora's box of "fairness/safety" and allowing others to have authority over them. 

I assume they won't play because now authorities say it's more dangerous than earlier in the season. I have backups ready to go if they don't.

2 hours ago, UVA_Drew said:

I’m not sure why people keep pushing this narrative. Postponing the game isn’t about doing Baltimore a favor or leniency. It’s about attempting to stop the spread in what appears to be a full on outbreak within their organization. 

They continue to have multiple positives each day, you can’t possibly have the whole team travel to the stadium, interact all day, and play in a game. You’re going to infect the entire team, plus more. Positive tests don’t appear immediately, there is an incubation period.

It’s not about being lenient to the Ravens who have a short lineup, it’s keep everyone isolated from each other until they are certain this outbreak is contained. 

The game should be played with the BAL negative players. There are enough of them to fill a starting lineup.  The league knows this, they just don’t want BAL backups vs an undefeated team.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, UVA_Drew said:

This might be the only accurate, rational post in the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread.

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, JCDaly said:

Oy, hate Tuesday games even more than the Thursday night games. Speaking of which, I'm guessing the Ravens-Cowboys Thursday game the following week will move to Sunday?

Yep, which means the Gus Edwards pickup is now totally useless.

Edited by Bastardo!
  • Like 1

Just a question. I'm the commissioner for a Yahoo league. I am allowing for covid substitutions for the Ravens/Steelers game on Tuesday with Sunday players in case the Tuesday game gets canceled after Sunday. For example a team may post on the league message board before Sunday 1PM that he will sub Derek Carr for Big Ben if the Ravens/Steelers game gets canceled. My question is if I edit someones lineup say on Tuesday to put in Derek Carr, Week 12s scoring and the result(based on the updated roster move) should update and change right? Appreciate any help. Thanks.

5 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

So the Tuesday game counts for this week right? In Yahoo it’s shows all the players from Balt and Pitt on “Bye no game this week”? 

4 minutes ago, gullit18 said:

Why is Connor on bye in Yahoo when he's had a bye already? Tuesday game should count for this week. 

Looks to be back to normal on Yahoo

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic