NBC Sports Edge Forums

COVID - League Plans?

Message added by tonycpsu

This thread is for discussing the impact of COVID on the game of fantasy football.  Attempts to shoehorn in other topics, including armchair epidemiology or political / ideological arguments will be removed, with posters subject to disciplinary action.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s not the NFLs job to find you a QB. Otherwise, all the Eagles games would be cancelled.

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, TheBridge2011 said:

So for future fantasy reference, it’s pretty safe to assume a game won’t get cancelled in a given week due to Covid. You may just need to worry that you’re player catches it after the point you are able to sub them out.

Exactly, I was just thinking this today.  This league has shown that it has very little concern over the entire situation, they just want people to think they do.  Money > than health and safety.  Start your best guys no matter what.

10 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

ALL NEGATIVE TESTS RETURNED TODAY (don't mind all those positives tests from every day prior and also kinda today)

My body is ready for some Wed afternoon ball!

WOOO!!!!!

WE MIGHT GET MORE INFECTIONS AND A BIGGER OUTBREAK BUT FOOOTBALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

tenor.gif

So it hasnt been delayed for ratings (3:40 m EST start), wasnt delayed to get Lamar back (hes out), wasnt delayed to get firepower back (ingram/dobbins out) all having been mentioned previously as possible reasons

So are fans now primarily annoyed about the stupidity of the NFL handling this or are fans mad about the conspiracy theory coddling the Ravens? I'm just confused tbh how to feel lol Steeler fan buddy of mine all worked up about "why do the steelers get punished" etc etc calling conspiracy over why the Ravens get the Tuesday game and that extra day of rest hah

2 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

So it hasnt been delayed for ratings (3:40 m EST start), wasnt delayed to get Lamar back (hes out), wasnt delayed to get firepower back (ingram/dobbins out) all having been mentioned previously as possible reasons

So are fans now primarily annoyed about the stupidity of the NFL handling this or are fans mad about the conspiracy theory coddling the Ravens? I'm just confused tbh how to feel lol Steeler fan buddy of mine all worked up about "why do the steelers get punished" etc etc calling conspiracy over why the Ravens get the Tuesday game and that extra day of rest hah

Exactly

I never got the "NFL loves Lamar and the Ravens and are favoring them" angle.  If anything, the league should want the Steelers to run the table because it looks good for the league and adds excitement in the quest to match the 1972 Fins.

I think what most people are upset/annoyed about is that the game wasn't being postponed for the ratings, Lamar, etc.  It was clearly being postponed in the interest of player safety.  Yet EVERYTHING the league does re Covid doesn't seem to be in the interest of player safety.  If so, everybody would be quarantined for 10 days and the game would have been cancelled.

What's interesting is that the NFL has never been explicitly clear about their Covid protocols in terms of how they decide when games are postponed.  There is no threshold of minimum players.  There's no "if positive tests within x amount of days" rule.  It basically feels like the league office is saying "we'll know it when we see it" in terms of recognizing what situations warrant postponing and what don't.  I think everybody is fed up with the decisions that just seem to be made up on the fly.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, CooL said:

It basically feels like the league office is saying "we'll know it when we see it" in terms of recognizing what situations warrant postponing and what don't.  I think everybody is fed up with the decisions that just seem to be made up on the fly.

You're not giving Goodell nearly enough credit. They're not making anything up on the fly. They know exactly what they want to do(make it to the Super Bowl with as few complications as possible). It's obvious they're planning on powering through each week regardless of COVID positives, to the extent that they can(barring complete s-show outbreak). Pigeon holing themselves into being forced to cancel by publishing said metrics would be silly and extremely counter-productive to their ultimate goal. 

Referees obviously didn't get the memo about coddling the Ravens.  Absolutely atrocious once again.  But that's fine, we'll run the table from here on out and I would dearly love to play Crapsburgh in the first round at full strength.  I admit to being a sore loser, but that is the luckiest team on God's green earth.  Ben's mini Hail Mary for the first down was proof once again of that.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, CooL said:

I never got the "NFL loves Lamar and the Ravens and are favoring them" angle.  If anything, the league should want the Steelers to run the table because it looks good for the league and adds excitement in the quest to match the 1972 Fins.

I think what most people are upset/annoyed about is that the game wasn't being postponed for the ratings, Lamar, etc.  It was clearly being postponed in the interest of player safety.  Yet EVERYTHING the league does re Covid doesn't seem to be in the interest of player safety.  If so, everybody would be quarantined for 10 days and the game would have been cancelled.

What's interesting is that the NFL has never been explicitly clear about their Covid protocols in terms of how they decide when games are postponed.  There is no threshold of minimum players.  There's no "if positive tests within x amount of days" rule.  It basically feels like the league office is saying "we'll know it when we see it" in terms of recognizing what situations warrant postponing and what don't.  I think everybody is fed up with the decisions that just seem to be made up on the fly.

I fully believe the NFL loves Lamar and Mahomes and wants them to be the next big thing.

Just look at everyone in the media and how they treat them and even some of the calls they get (esp. Mahomes). Lamar vs Mahomes is good for ratings.

Its nothing new and we even see the same thing in the NBA with Zion. In reality it’s what ends up making fans hate players. Having a player shoved down your throat and excuses made for them at every turn is annoying. I’m sure everyone involved knows it but having a player or team be really hated does just as well as a player being loved if not more so. Look at how much people tune in just to watch a team like the Cowboys lose. 

30 minutes ago, owenmills said:

You're not giving Goodell nearly enough credit. They're not making anything up on the fly. They know exactly what they want to do(make it to the Super Bowl with as few complications as possible). It's obvious they're planning on powering through each week regardless of COVID positives, to the extent that they can(barring complete s-show outbreak). Pigeon holing themselves into being forced to cancel by publishing said metrics would be silly and extremely counter-productive to their ultimate goal. 

Well, yes, that's exactly why they haven't published anything.  They want to be able to change things up and make decisions as they see fit depending on circumstances.  It's quite ridiculous that today's game was postponed 7 days.  And now it alters next week's schedule.  From a fantasy perspective, it's delayed waiver claims, made it a gamble to rely on anyone from today's game, etc.

9 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

I fully believe the NFL loves Lamar and Mahomes and wants them to be the next big thing.

Just look at everyone in the media and how they treat them and even some of the calls they get (esp. Mahomes). Lamar vs Mahomes is good for ratings.

Its nothing new and we even see the same thing in the NBA with Zion. In reality it’s what ends up making fans hate players. Having a player shoved down your throat and excuses made for them at every turn is annoying. I’m sure everyone involved knows it but having a player or team be really hated does just as well as a player being loved if not more so. Look at how much people tune in just to watch a team like the Cowboys lose. 

Agree on this that the NFL wants stars.  They want big rivalries.  It's clear however that this isn't Lamar's year.  But yes, he's one of the top stars and the NFL wants these guys to go toe to toe for years, especially now that the Brady-Brees era is ending.  Aaron Rodgers doesn't move the needle like he used to.  This is a young man's game now.

I don't however think that they delayed the game to try to get Lamar and company back on the field.  I really do think they delayed because they knew it wasn't safe but they didn't want to cancel because it screws everything else up.  They couldn't possibly delay it any longer than today since Thursday is typically the start of the next week and that would just be ridiculous if the game were to be played tomorrow but still be week 12.

Any risk to Cowboys-Ravens game?  I have a must win game this week and would like to start Ravens at D and Amari Cooper at Flex but concerned about risk of canceled game. I find no news on either time.  What is the day of testing that would make the game safe?  Risk to this Tuesday game? 

4 hours ago, nine9s said:

Any risk to Cowboys-Ravens game?  I have a must win game this week and would like to start Ravens at D and Amari Cooper at Flex but concerned about risk of canceled game. I find no news on either time.  What is the day of testing that would make the game safe?  Risk to this Tuesday game? 

Very minimal. If it's essentially a toss-up then I'd go with the sure thing on Sunday, but if it's a significant downgrade I'd roll with your Ravens/Cowboys. Nothing is trending towards that game being cancelled. I don't think we've seen one game cancelled that didn't trend in that direction in the prior days. 

5 hours ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Very minimal. If it's essentially a toss-up then I'd go with the sure thing on Sunday, but if it's a significant downgrade I'd roll with your Ravens/Cowboys. Nothing is trending towards that game being cancelled. I don't think we've seen one game cancelled that didn't trend in that direction in the prior days. 

Thanks. How many games have been called.  Only the Ravens Steelers game earlier in season? 

What is protectal on testing - everyday?  What is last day the Ravens or Cowboys would be tested prior to the game?

Edited by nine9s
On 12/7/2020 at 1:57 PM, Mr.Joshua said:

With the Panthers now dealing with Covid issues heading into week 14, it's definitely going to continue to alter the road to a fantasy title.

Also the new Dez story. Supposedly he was on the field hugging players and just socializing right before his negative test. Curious if this might lead to some more Ravens positives. Bad timing with week 14. 

37 minutes ago, oliminator123 said:

Also the new Dez story. Supposedly he was on the field hugging players and just socializing right before his negative test. Curious if this might lead to some more Ravens positives. Bad timing with week 14. 

Thankfully half the ravens are immune at this point

• Like 1