Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Williams 2020 Outlook


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, munygon2 said:

This guy wasn't drafted in my 12 team league and still out there.  No faith is Taylor?  The target count is there.  Thinking about moving one of these rookie WR's off my roster to make room for MW.  I haven't kept up with the Chargers lately, is their o-line giving TT enough time to throw?  I honestly have no idea what MW's outlook is at this point. 

Even with enough time to throw, I don't think TT looked great. Plus the O-line just took a huge hit and lost their starting center (Pouncey) for the season, so there will no doubt be an adjustment period with his replacement.

MW's seasonal outlook is capped by those two factors for now, no doubt. I'm only starting him this week because I'm projected to lose big (thanks to Chubb's TNF numbers last night), the waiver wire is thin, and I need the upside.

Despite loving MW's potential, I'm not sure I'd recommend spending a waiver pick on him, especially if you like the rookies you've already rostered and they have better QBs in better situations throwing to them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If he plays I’m thinking 122 and 2

👆😁

What's his theoretical upside if Herbert is a 35 attempts per game guy? Keenan 10-12 targets Henry 5-7 targets That leaves 15-20 targets. 7-10 for RBS 10 remaining Targets. Can Mik

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Hoozenabunker said:

Even with enough time to throw, I don't think TT looked great. Plus the O-line just took a huge hit and lost their starting center (Pouncey) for the season, so there will no doubt be an adjustment period with his replacement.

MW's seasonal outlook is capped by those two factors for now, no doubt. I'm only starting him this week because I'm projected to lose big (thanks to Chubb's TNF numbers last night), the waiver wire is thin, and I need the upside.

Despite loving MW's potential, I'm not sure I'd recommend spending a waiver pick on him, especially if you like the rookies you've already rostered and they have better QBs in better situations throwing to them.

 

I def wouldn't spend any money on him if I can get him today for free, but if he blows up this weekend then that'll probably change in a hurry I'm sure for most leagues.  The only rookie I could cut would be Reagor, so I'm trying to be patient, but like you I need some upside after getting well behind the 8-ball thanks to Chubb last night. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, munygon2 said:

 

I def wouldn't spend any money on him if I can get him today for free, but if he blows up this weekend then that'll probably change in a hurry I'm sure for most leagues.  The only rookie I could cut would be Reagor, so I'm trying to be patient, but like you I need some upside after getting well behind the 8-ball thanks to Chubb last night. 

I might feel comfortable trading Reagor for MW on my roster, mostly because of Reagor's competition for targets. Wentz is the better QB but Ertz and Jackson are there, and no doubt Wentz will force feed the ball to Jeffery once he's back in the lineup (looks to be within the next couple of weeks).

Meanwhile, MW only competes with K.Allen and H.Henry for downfield looks, and their route trees are very different—MW has carved out a specific starting role in that offense, so I like his upside ROS compared to Reagor, who has needed injuries to starters (while fighting his own) to get on the field for scoring opportunities.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn’t this guy a top 10 draft pick 2 years ago? How many WR get drafted in the top 10 and don’t become their teams No.1 receiver?

I think we’re witnessing the changing of the guard and Mike outperforms Keenan Allen this year. My only concern is that I don’t think Tyrod has the arm to support a WR1. However if Justin Herbert steps in... 
 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jrt80 said:

Wasn’t this guy a top 10 draft pick 2 years ago? How many WR get drafted in the top 10 and don’t become their teams No.1 receiver?

I think we’re witnessing the changing of the guard and Mike outperforms Keenan Allen this year. My only concern is that I don’t think Tyrod has the arm to support a WR1. However if Justin Herbert steps in... 
 

 

It was 3 years ago, but yeah 7th overall. I don't think it's a "changing of the guard" necessarily because they are two very different WRs with different skill sets and roles in the offense. MW's physicality, catch radius and speed make him an over-the-top threat, while KA is one of the NFL's best route runners and a magnet for intermediate passes. 

MW might outperform KA in standard leagues this year, but KA will remain a PPR monster for the foreseeable future.

Tyrod's not the best thrower, but I didn't hear great things coming out of camp about Justin Herbert either—he clearly has the physical skills, but whether the leadership and decision-making is there remains to be seen (and we probably will see it before EOS).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I was not able to see the game last week and am hoping someone can provide some information.  How did he look in regards to the injury?  I remember watching Julio last year and you could clearly tell the shoulder injury was bothering him.

Looking at box score I was excited to see the targets but saw the low yardage total out of Taylor.  Where they pretty evenly spread throughout?  What kind of routes was he targeted on?  Last year he was busy catching Rivers on the 3rd and forever moon ball between 2 defenders.  Without his BFF, is Allen and Williams on more equal footing?

Appreciate it! I much prefer someone who saw the game over relying on the box score.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/18/2020 at 5:18 PM, Hoozenabunker said:

It was 3 years ago, but yeah 7th overall. I don't think it's a "changing of the guard" necessarily because they are two very different WRs with different skill sets and roles in the offense. MW's physicality, catch radius and speed make him an over-the-top threat, while KA is one of the NFL's best route runners and a magnet for intermediate passes. 

MW might outperform KA in standard leagues this year, but KA will remain a PPR monster for the foreseeable future.

Tyrod's not the best thrower, but I didn't hear great things coming out of camp about Justin Herbert either—he clearly has the physical skills, but whether the leadership and decision-making is there remains to be seen (and we probably will see it before EOS).

 

The issue is that they pigeon holed MW into that role.  The guy is far more versatile than a Mike Wallace.  That is basically how they used him last year.  I'm not sure MW is better, but dang, he should be used a lot differently than he was.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

I'm firing him up today with Golladay out. Should put up decent numbers.


I’m starting Williams over everyone’s favorite darling Scotty Miller, Will Fuller, John Brown and Jalen Reagor.

Chiefs secondary is plagued with injuries right now. Big day coming...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mdw5048 said:


I’m starting Williams over everyone’s favorite darling Scotty Miller, Will Fuller, John Brown and Jalen Reagor.

Chiefs secondary is plagued with injuries right now. Big day coming...

 

Sun 12/29 @KCKC 2 5 38 19.0 0

22

 

Mon 11/18 vsKCKC 2 6 76 38.0 0 50

 

Thu 12/13 @KCKC 7 9 76 10.9 2 38

 

Sun 9/9 vsKCKC 5 6 81 16.2 0 25

 

Sat 12/16 @KCKC 0 1 0 0.0 0 0

 

 

Here's his career games vs KC. Hes had some success in the past.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sternes said:

 

The issue is that they pigeon holed MW into that role.  The guy is far more versatile than a Mike Wallace.  That is basically how they used him last year.  I'm not sure MW is better, but dang, he should be used a lot differently than he was.

I don't disagree, but the coaches have seen what he's capable of...that season ending game vs Chiefs in '18 (the 2TD performance shown above) comes to mind. They know he's a dynamic playmaker, he's just struggled to remain healthy and consistently produce.

Part of that is on his QBs—Rivers is a future HoF'er but let's not pretend he wasn't throwing dead duck INTs all season last year, and Tyrod isn't the thrower that will capitalize on MW's versatility as much as others would. I believe the LAC staff knows what they have in MW, and it's just up to others on the roster to execute their roles in order for him to display his skill set and fully realize his potential this season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hoozenabunker said:

I don't disagree, but the coaches have seen what he's capable of...that season ending game vs Chiefs in '18 (the 2TD performance shown above) comes to mind. They know he's a dynamic playmaker, he's just struggled to remain healthy and consistently produce.

Part of that is on his QBs—Rivers is a future HoF'er but let's not pretend he wasn't throwing dead duck INTs all season last year, and Tyrod isn't the thrower that will capitalize on MW's versatility as much as others would. I believe the LAC staff knows what they have in MW, and it's just up to others on the roster to execute their roles in order for him to display his skill set and fully realize his potential this season.

I like Tyrod over Rivers for MW because Tyrod will air it out lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RingMyBell said:

Yea, I'm benching BMW.  This rook seems to favor the backs and slot guy.

Oh I'm def not starting him but trying to believe in him to keep him vs cutting him. Only way I start him is if Julio sits. Which sux because I got Laviska also but he plays tonight and I have to wait on Julio. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

Oh I'm def not starting him but trying to believe in him to keep him vs cutting him. Only way I start him is if Julio sits. Which sux because I got Laviska also but he plays tonight and I have to wait on Julio.

If he keeps the starting job, hopefully he will use that arm of his to sling some bombs to BMW, or a couple end zone looks or two.  2 years ago this guy was an end zone monster, dunno what happened.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cord said:

Anyone holding him this week? I've seen him on a few sleeper start lists but ... four targets with Herbet last week isn't particular promising. That said, I read Herbert missed him in the end zone? 

I think he's a for sure hold. Unless you got small benches or completely stacked at WR1-5. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2020 at 11:31 AM, Cord said:

Anyone holding him this week? I've seen him on a few sleeper start lists but ... four targets with Herbet last week isn't particular promising. That said, I read Herbert missed him in the end zone? 

I dropped him. Couldn’t take it anymore. Maybe when or if Tyrod comes back and wants to pepper him with targets but Herbert definitely favors Allen

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...