NBC Sports Edge Forums

Owning 2 WR's on the same team...

I try to treat every roster and lineup spot as its own individual entity. I won't pass on the clear best player available on account of owning a teammate. You just have to keep bye week management in mind and think twice about stacking players from poor offenses.

In a strong passing offense (i.e. Cobb/Jordy Packers, Evans/Godwin Bucs) I've seen savvy owners use a pair of high picks to stack the WRs and buoy their floor at the position while maintaining a strong ceiling. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

I try to treat every roster and lineup spot as its own individual entity. I won't pass on the clear best player available on account of owning a teammate. You just have to keep bye week management in mind and think twice about stacking players from poor offenses.

In a strong passing offense (i.e. Cobb/Jordy Packers, Evans/Godwin Bucs) I've seen savvy owners use a pair of high picks to stack the WRs and buoy their floor at the position while maintaining a strong ceiling. 

What about J.Jones/Ridley?

10 minutes ago, superman100679 said:

What about J.Jones/Ridley?

I don't consider it a bad idea with those 2, as I think ATL will throw a lot. I am thinking of trying to land N Harry, to go with Edelman & Cam, now that Sanu is no longer with NE. 

And if Julio misses any time, you know Ridley has that chance to become a WR1 with even more targets. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Jkiv2O2O said:

I strongly avoid it. The data says there is a chance 1 or 2 teams have 2 top ten wrs each year, so it’s a risk. 

Why do they both have to be top 10?

If I could get two top 20 or even top 30 WRs on a roster, and they're both on the same team, so be it.

Assuming even a 10 team league, you're likely going to only have one top 10 player from each position on average.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, bravens23 said:

Why do they both have to be top 10?

If I could get two top 20 or even top 30 WRs on a roster, and they're both on the same team, so be it.

Assuming even a 10 team league, you're likely going to only have one top 10 player from each position on average.

Good point, I was assuming they were being drafted higher like Woods/Kupp, Jones/Ridley, 

• Like 1

Do the math...

In a 10 team league, the goal should be to get 3 top 30 WRs, on average. 

So last year, in the top 30 (standard scoring), we had:

Bucs : Godwin and Evans (2 and 11) 

Falcons: Julio and Ridley (4 and 25)

Rams: Kupp and Woods (3 and 19)

Cowboys: Cooper and Gallup (8 and 22)

Browns: Landry and Odell (14 and 29)

Lions: Golladay and Jones (5 and 27)

So there's four teams with top 25 combinations, and two more with top 30 combinations.

I think every single one of those combos could do it again this year. Also keep in mind that John Brown and Stefon Diggs were both top 30 WRs last year, and are now on the same team, and you've got combinations like Lockett/Metcalf that were just outside of it.

I wouldn't go into a draft actively targeting it, but I'm not shying away from drafting two receivers on the same team.

• Like 3

Didn't Intent on it but...

Raiders: Henry Ruggs/Bryan Edwards/Darren Waller

Jets: Breshad Perriman/Denzel Mims/Chris Herndon/Le'Veon Bell/Sam Darnold 😂😂----> Yes, life-long heartbroken Jets Fan (value, backups)

Of the two Raiders/Jets WRs, one will separate from the other....

[...have Saquon/Darius Slayton too)

Fooked. Absolutely Fooked.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bravens23 said:

Do the math...

In a 10 team league, the goal should be to get 3 top 30 WRs, on average. 

So last year, in the top 30 (standard scoring), we had:

Bucs : Godwin and Evans (2 and 11) 

Falcons: Julio and Ridley (4 and 25)

Rams: Kupp and Woods (3 and 19)

Cowboys: Cooper and Gallup (8 and 22)

Browns: Landry and Odell (14 and 29)

Lions: Golladay and Jones (5 and 27)

So there's four teams with top 25 combinations, and two more with top 30 combinations.

I think every single one of those combos could do it again this year. Also keep in mind that John Brown and Stefon Diggs were both top 30 WRs last year, and are now on the same team, and you've got combinations like Lockett/Metcalf that were just outside of it.

I wouldn't go into a draft actively targeting it, but I'm not shying away from drafting two receivers on the same team.

That’s fair. My argument would be that having 3 top 30 receivers isn’t the goal. To win you’ve gotta be better than average, and many factors come in to play. 3 guys that score 8-12 points versus a couple guys who have a higher chance for big games. Roster construction is key and I think upside is limited with guys from the same team, particularly if they are your first 3 wr drafted

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Jkiv2O2O said:

That’s fair. My argument would be that having 3 top 30 receivers isn’t the goal. To win you’ve gotta be better than average, and many factors come in to play. 3 guys that score 8-12 points versus a couple guys who have a higher chance for big games. Roster construction is key and I think upside is limited with guys from the same team, particularly if they are your first 3 wr drafted

OK, but there isn't a draft strategy on the planet that guarantees anything. The likelihood of you having a roster full of above average players is so small that it's really not worth considering.

If you want two top 20 RBs, its likely to cost you a shot at a top 10-15 WR. That's generally how it works. Some years you'll do better, some years you'll do worse. 

• Like 1