NBC Sports Edge Forums

Devin Williams 2020 Outlook

Didn't see a thread for him but this guy is quickly becoming one of the best relievers in the game. If you play in a SV+HD League he's especially valuable. The changeup if filthy. 

Over his last 12.2 innings 0 ERs, 2 Hit allowed, 4 BBs, and 27 Ks

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Nitto22 said:

Didn't see a thread for him ...

That's because there is a thread for closers and a thread for set-up (holds) guys mistitled imo "middle relievers."  That is where most all the discussions about relievers take place and he has been mentioned there.  I mean you can make a thread for him sure.  But it is just easier to discuss him or any other reliever in a collective reliever thread usually where people in that thread actually care about relievers a lot.

And yes he has been really good so far.  We are all looking for the next young Betances.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
13 hours ago, Nitto22 said:

Didn't see a thread for him but this guy is quickly becoming one of the best relievers in the game. If you play in a SV+HD League he's especially valuable. The changeup if filthy. 

Over his last 12.2 innings 0 ERs, 2 Hit allowed, 4 BBs, and 27 Ks

Yep. To say Williams has been unhittable would be a gross understatement. He's been untouchable really. Last time he even gave up a base hit was 8 appearances ago, and even then it was just one lonely base hit. In his last 7 appearances dating back to August 16th (so over the past 2.5 weeks), Williams has gone 7.1 IP, 0 hits, 0 runs, 16 strikeouts (a 19.64 K per 9 rate!). And did I mention no hits? Not one. And in his 4 appearances before that, including the outing where he somehow, someway gave up that base hit (a fluke I'm sure): 4.1 innings, 2 hits, 0 earned runs, 10 K's. Ummmm, yeah, that'll play. 

So, basically he's the NL version of James Karinchak.  Just with a different money pitch.  Obviously not taking anything away from Williams, as both are very valuable and could easily be a closer on their respective teams.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

I know it's dumb to keep short relievers, but I am seriously thinking of keeping him for next year.

given the right settings and amount of keepers you can have it would be dumb NOT to keep if those things line up....IF he even comes close to this years numbers next season, that is a weapon to have on your team for sure..

• Like 1

I watched him last night for the first time.  He reminded me of DeGrom in that his delivery is so effortless and then you see 96/97 MPH on the radar and are just wondering how he can do that. He's pretty much a two-pitch guy with his changeup being quite nasty.