NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2020 September Closer Thread

Flyman75

4 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

Soto sucko

For real. SO frustrating. Plus, to his credit, the 3-2 to Donaldson was for sure a strike. Umps don't call the high strike, almost ever, so how are they gonna let pitches at the knees go,

Does anyone have a decent beat on the Tigers pen? Is Soto worth holding onto/do we think he keeps the job after this or will they roll to another option in the committee? Hard to feel like I want to keep him around on my team when walk - walk - single - blown save/pulled from game is the only thing I've gotten from him in one try.

13 minutes ago, aapox said:

For real. SO frustrating. Plus, to his credit, the 3-2 to Donaldson was for sure a strike. Umps don't call the high strike, almost ever, so how are they gonna let pitches at the knees go,

Does anyone have a decent beat on the Tigers pen? Is Soto worth holding onto/do we think he keeps the job after this or will they roll to another option in the committee? Hard to feel like I want to keep him around on my team when walk - walk - single - blown save/pulled from game is the only thing I've gotten from him in one try.

I imagine he will get at least one more opportunity.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Valdez, being kept in for a 2 inning save it looks like... (tease me about Valdez :) )

It was a two-inning save in the second game of a doubleheader in which they burned a bunch of their top bullpen arms in the first, but I will allow you to take a small victory lap. I wouldn't go rushing to the wire to grab him just yet though....

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

I hope no one in my main league is up late enough to see this Ginkel development. He was dropped after he blew one the other day and is on waivers for another couple hours. Looks like they clearly want him to be the guy considering they used almost their entire bullpen and lined it up for him to work the ninth.

I saw this as well and was thinking of picking up Ginkel but the guy just doesn’t look so good. His ERA and Whip are high. Combine that with AZ just sucking and I’m not in a huge rush to grab. I know he had past success.  

1 hour ago, fredo_corleone said:

Just out of curiosity - any word on Giles? Seeing Bass picking up a save here and there so just thought I'd ask. Thanks.

Ken Giles (forearm) will throw a simulated game on Saturday.

More will obviously be known after the Blue Jays see how Giles feels during the session and also after. However, it would appear he could be activated soon after if things go well. The closer has been on the shelf since late July due to a strained right forearm.

SOURCE: Ben Nicholson-Smith on Twitter
Sep 4, 2020, 2:50 PM ET

3 hours ago, B&F said:

Buttrey meltdown.  Pulled from the game in the 9th after giving up 3 hits.

3 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

Buttrey hammered around again..Looks like it's Pena time.

2 hours ago, fredo_corleone said:

Safe to say Pena is the closer going forward given Buttrey's recent performance?

It's gotta be. Buttrey hasn't been good all year and can't strike anybody out. Pena has been the only good reliever in the Angels mess of a pen all year and statcast data backs up his performance. I assume he didn't pitch the 8th or 9th tonight because he had just pitched 2 straight days. Maddon heaped praise on Pena the other day as well

16 hours ago, aapox said:

If I had to bet, I'd bet Cisnero gets the next save opportunity.  If it had just been a couple of bloop hits, maybe Soto would get another chance despite his absolutely atrocious career 5.28 ERA and 1.67 WHIP.  Soto walking two guys without getting an out is really unforgivable though, especially since Cisnero's actually been quite good this year: 1.37 ERA and 0.86 WHIP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

If I had to bet, I'd bet Cisnero gets the next save opportunity.  If it had just been a couple of bloop hits, maybe Soto would get another chance despite his absolutely atrocious career 5.28 ERA and 1.67 WHIP.  Soto walking two guys without getting an out is really unforgivable though, especially since Cisnero's actually been quite good this year: 1.37 ERA and 0.86 WHIP.

Soto is in his second year, so it’s not like that ERA and WHIP have been forged over many years of MLB pitching. Cisnero didn’t exactly have sparkling career numbers prior to this year. He’s been better than Soto this year, but who knows how he’d handle the closer role.

• Like 1

I mean, for what it's worth, Soto should have had a strikeout of Donaldson. I know it was still a walk, at the end of the day, but if the ump makes the right call it's a completely different inning. What I'm saying is maybe the coaching staff looks at that and has a little more lenience. I'll be keeping my eyes on the situation - thanks for the input on Cisnero.