NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 September Closer Thread

3 hours ago, aapox said:

I mean, for what it's worth, Soto should have had a strikeout of Donaldson. I know it was still a walk, at the end of the day, but if the ump makes the right call it's a completely different inning. What I'm saying is maybe the coaching staff looks at that and has a little more lenience. I'll be keeping my eyes on the situation - thanks for the input on Cisnero.

Soto working the 8th inning.  Sure looks like he is out as closer unless Cisnero gives it right back to him.  I hear you about the pitch to Donaldson, but still walking two guys in a save situation is really a bad look and sometimes you don't get a second chance after that.

• Haha 1
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woooooo baseball made it to September!

I would say that the evidence clearly points to Ginkel being the guy. Not only did they give him the first save opportunity out of the gate, but after he blew that one they gave him the next one right

I'd like to congratulate myself on jinxing Mr. Ginkel. Only took three days for him to be sent down.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

Soto working the 8th inning.  Sure looks like he is out as closer unless Cisnero gives it right back to him.  I hear you about the pitch to Donaldson, but still walking two guys in a save situation is really a bad look and sometimes you don't get a second chance after that.

And Cisnero did his best to give it right back to Soto.  Honestly, the Tigers bullpen is probably a situation to avoid in fantasy.  Not all closers are worth owning in fantasy, as Trevor Gott demonstrated this year.  

Just now, JameisofThrones said:

Tony Bass blows one as well. Stellar night for mediocre-to-bad closers than shouldn't really be closing.

Bass is mediocre, but he's probably still been worth owning the past month in most leagues.  His strikeout rate is awful, but he's picked up a handful of saves along with a respectable ERA and WHIP (although that's been mostly the result of very fortunate BABIP luck).  Bass's fantasy relevance is coming to an end with Giles probably returning next week.

This is probably the first season I can remember where almost every person that we've gotten to pick up as a replacement closer has turned out to be trash.  Usually you can build a "bullpen" by drafting one good closer and then picking up other replacements along the way and be just fine.  This season you pick up a guy and he goes out there and promptly blows the save.  Even ones, like Pena, that had great stats before the near epic blown save.

4 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

This is probably the first season I can remember where almost every person that we've gotten to pick up as a replacement closer has turned out to be trash.  Usually you can build a "bullpen" by drafting one good closer and then picking up other replacements along the way and be just fine.  This season you pick up a guy and he goes out there and promptly blows the save.  Even ones, like Pena, that had great stats before the near epic blown save.

Rosenthal and Montero have been money as FA pickups.  But overall I agree with you.

Just now, FootballFan101 said:

Rosenthal and Montero have been money as FA pickups.  But overall I agree with you.

That's why I said almost. Yes, I know you were basically agreeing with me. 😉

Bard can be added to that short list too.

2 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I know Kintzler and Pressly were drafted in many leagues, but I nabbed them both off of the wire in my league. I only drafted Osuna and Will Smith and I'm leading my main 12-teamer in saves. I guess I got lucky.. I'll take it. I've definitely taken my lumps with some of these other guys though, trying to make it happen. #coolstorybro

12 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Hirano out as closer following yesterday's implosion.  Ramirez pitching the 9th in a save situation

I highly doubt it.  Hirano is still the closer even though Ramirez is the future.  (Ramirez also gave up a home run in this outing).