NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2020 September Closer Thread

Flyman75

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Pomeranz in the 8th...rosy is the closer

I would note that Pomeranz faced the heart of the lineup in the 8th. So while Rosenthal may be closing today, there may still be some ambiguity going forward until the manager says for certain.That said, I think the best conclusion is that Rosenthal is the closer. 

22 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Bass is mediocre, but he's probably still been worth owning the past month in most leagues.  His strikeout rate is awful, but he's picked up a handful of saves along with a respectable ERA and WHIP (although that's been mostly the result of very fortunate BABIP luck).  Bass's fantasy relevance is coming to an end with Giles probably returning next week.

Dolis may have beaten Giles to the punch and brought it to an end tonight. 

Just now, Josean Pelota said:

But seriously, do we think Bass and Solis are going to be a committee?  Or is Solis now the lead placeholder?

If tonight is any indication, Dolis will probably be given a chance to hold onto the job until Giles is back. But he walks a lot of batters, so I don’t really trust him. 

This seems to indicate not much has changed as far as Giles is concerned...

Giles (forearm) was transferred to the Blue Jays' 45-day injured list Saturday, Mike Wilner of Sportsnet 590 The Fan reports.

Giles' move to the 45-day IL is simply procedural as he'll still be eligible to return as early as Sept. 10. The right-hander has made good progress while recovering from a strained flexor mass in his right forearm, although a specific timetable for his return still hasn't been established.

8 hours ago, Rotofan24 said:

Those baseball gods...

Rough. He was due though. Not every ground ball is going to find an infielder and Nothin But a Ji-man pounding one right down the line as the lead off was gonna be hard to come back from. I really wish they tried to jam Lowe instead of going away though. It was clear Lowe was looking for solid contact and a ball out over the corner is easier to throw your hands out at. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, aapox said:

Kintzler with another blown save, this one on the first hitter. 3-2 meatball bombed to center field by Duvall. 4-4 game now. Still a chance to get through the inning and get a W.

Kintzler gets the win after a nice close-out by Vincent.

When your closer blows the save but keeps it tied and gets the win:

Sons of Anarchy meme i accept that on Bingeclock

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, fredo_corleone said:

Unrelated to the current discussion, but is Watson the guy out of SF or is it a committee with Rogers?

Watson got it one night. Rogers got it the next. Rogers has more saves, and more implosions, throughout the year, but despite his general excellence Watson just now got his first save. This is a full blown committee with those two likely trading back and forth until one of them implodes first. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1