NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 September Closer Thread

8 hours ago, fredo_corleone said:

Unrelated to the current discussion, but is Watson the guy out of SF or is it a committee with Rogers?

Unfortunately it's a nightly coin toss - at least Watson will help you with ratios, the others are pretty volatile. 

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woooooo baseball made it to September!

I would say that the evidence clearly points to Ginkel being the guy. Not only did they give him the first save opportunity out of the gate, but after he blew that one they gave him the next one right

I'd like to congratulate myself on jinxing Mr. Ginkel. Only took three days for him to be sent down.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, 80version said:

Soria is their setup man and fills in as closer when Hendricks is unavailable. 

That was certainly the case earlier in the season. Is it still the case?  Soria has allowed runs in his last two appearances. Diekman, who is having a better season, pitched the 8th innings during the most recent Hendricks save. Soria has the "has been a closer before" edge but...I wouldn't assume him to be the next-in-line, not anymore. 

• Like 1

if I had to plug my nose and pick a d-backs RP for saves over the last 3 weeks, do we all think ginkel is the guy?  he got their most recent save even though crichton seems to have better numbers overall.  i'm sure a lot of us are in a dogfight for saves and every last one can swing a few points in the standings...

16 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

if I had to plug my nose and pick a d-backs RP for saves over the last 3 weeks, do we all think ginkel is the guy?  he got their most recent save even though crichton seems to have better numbers overall.  i'm sure a lot of us are in a dogfight for saves and every last one can swing a few points in the standings...

Yes, I think that's the guy if you have to choose one.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

I would say that the evidence clearly points to Ginkel being the guy. Not only did they give him the first save opportunity out of the gate, but after he blew that one they gave him the next one right away when the whole bullpen was available, purposely lining it up for him by pitching all the other candidates in front of him -- Lopez, Guerra, Rondon and Crichton -- and he nailed it down.

He would have been the obvious choice to take over at the beginning of the year after being lights out in 2019, but his numbers were awful (and still are) at the time of the Bradley trade so I think most people discarded him. But his ERA was 16.20 after letting up four runs without recording an out in Coors on Aug. 11, mainly because of that outing and another four-run blowup in his first appearance of the season. Of his other 15 appearances, 12 have been scoreless, allowing single runs in the other three, and a 1.93 ERA since the debacle at Coors.

(Of course, this being 2020, he will probably get lit up tonight) 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Josean Pelota said:

That was certainly the case earlier in the season. Is it still the case?  Soria has allowed runs in his last two appearances. Diekman, who is having a better season, pitched the 8th innings during the most recent Hendricks save. Soria has the "has been a closer before" edge but...I wouldn't assume him to be the next-in-line, not anymore. 

I’m guessing that it will still be Soria if an opportunity presents itself.  He’s right-handed, has 220 career saves, and he posted impressive overall numbers up until his most recent appearance (vs the Padres, where he struck out Machado & Hosmer to lead off the inning and then crapped the bed).  He had a 1.72 ERA & 1.15 WHIP going into that game.  Diekman could get the nod depending on matchups, but you know how it is with a team’s top left-handed setup man - very rarely are they set aside for the 9th.  A guy like Diekman represents one hell of a chess piece.

20 hours ago, Josean Pelota said:

Unclear. Ramirez also has 3 saves now, and Hirano has not exactly been shut down. Too early for it to lose the dreaded Committee label. 

No back-to-back nights for Hirano yet.  He remains the primary, but assume if he went the night prior, it's going to be Ramirez. 

40 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Barnes just blew a save. Barnes hung a curveball. He’s not closer worthy but there’s no one else.

I wish they would give Phillips Valdez a chance at the back of the rotation.  He seems the only semi-decent arm in the entire Red Sox pen but they will just keep rolling out Barnes with maybe Brazier as his back-up.  And yeah, Barnes is not closer worthy and never has been.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
12 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Soto was a drop on Saturday after being used in the 7th inning Saturday, following his implosion of Friday where he walked two guys and blew the save.

well cisnero did have a decent meltdown on saturday night.

1 hour ago, colepenhagen said:

so is soto a drop now? pitched in 7th 

how we feeling about hirano and harvey?

Not giving up on him yet.  Struck out the side so that has to raise some eyebrows in the dugout.  

10 hours ago, B&F said:

Not giving up on him yet.  Struck out the side so that has to raise some eyebrows in the dugout.  

11 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Soto was a drop on Saturday after being used in the 7th inning Saturday, following his implosion of Friday where he walked two guys and blew the save.

I’m holding for the moment due to his SP eligibility in my holds+saves league. FWIW, Romo was my last RP drop...needed an SP more than a committee RP with one save in last 10+ days.