NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 September Closer Thread

Workman sucks.. he just sucks... what’s his whip now 2.5? I dare not calculate it. Even thinking of dropping him though I need saves.

who is this Garcia guy in Detroit? He sucks 7 k in 16 but he’s getting clean saves.  Carousel has me hating life.

also no word back on when Giles is returning exactly.

• Like 1
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Woooooo baseball made it to September!

I would say that the evidence clearly points to Ginkel being the guy. Not only did they give him the first save opportunity out of the gate, but after he blew that one they gave him the next one right

I'd like to congratulate myself on jinxing Mr. Ginkel. Only took three days for him to be sent down.

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

I wonder if Alex Reyes gets a look at the STL closer gig  - in his last seven innings he has a 9:1 K/BB ratio and a 0.71 WHIP giving up no runs. 

I was just thinking the same thing. Nastiest stuff in the pen if he can limit the walks.

Edited by JameisofThrones
On 9/8/2020 at 4:06 PM, JameisofThrones said:

I would say that the evidence clearly points to Ginkel being the guy. Not only did they give him the first save opportunity out of the gate, but after he blew that one they gave him the next one right away when the whole bullpen was available, purposely lining it up for him by pitching all the other candidates in front of him -- Lopez, Guerra, Rondon and Crichton -- and he nailed it down.

He would have been the obvious choice to take over at the beginning of the year after being lights out in 2019, but his numbers were awful (and still are) at the time of the Bradley trade so I think most people discarded him. But his ERA was 16.20 after letting up four runs without recording an out in Coors on Aug. 11, mainly because of that outing and another four-run blowup in his first appearance of the season. Of his other 15 appearances, 12 have been scoreless, allowing single runs in the other three, and a 1.93 ERA since the debacle at Coors.

(Of course, this being 2020, he will probably get lit up tonight) 

I'd like to congratulate myself on jinxing Mr. Ginkel. Only took three days for him to be sent down.

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

I wonder if Alex Reyes gets a look at the STL closer gig  - in his last seven innings he has a 9:1 K/BB ratio and a 0.71 WHIP giving up no runs. 

Too many walks.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

35 minutes ago, aapox said:

yeah. I agree. I think it might be a miller led committee 

I should have read this more closely.  If he is not allowing walks lately he might have turned the corner and could become the closer.

Edited by B&F

Yeah, IDK guys, definitely kinda weird. At least there's some sort of smoke though that points to the possibility of him still getting save opportunities. That's all I needed to make sure to hold onto him. It's not like his ratios are good, at all, honestly, so his value is all in those Saves.

9 minutes ago, aapox said:

Yeah, IDK guys, definitely kinda weird. At least there's some sort of smoke though that points to the possibility of him still getting save opportunities. That's all I needed to make sure to hold onto him. It's not like his ratios are good, at all, honestly, so his value is all in those Saves.

I wonder when the fingernail became an issue. In his last two save opps on Sunday and Monday, Kintzler allowed 3 hits, 3 walks, 3 runs in 1.2 ip. Prior to that, he was 9/9 in save opps with a 1.03 ERA and 0.92 WHIP in 8.2 innings in those opps.

So if this is something that cropped up on Sunday or prior to Sunday, that would explain a lot. He didn't pitch Tue-Wed-Thu, so maybe they were testing it out yesterday to see if he was ready to take the closer role again? Just spit-balling here. 

• Like 1

@Flyman75 Good call my man, that makes sense. Though I will say, I watched both of those outings and he looked like his normal self, he just can't afford to miss middle with his lack of velocity and that's what he was doing. So, well, you might be right, because even if his stuff is fine it could have been affecting his control. I think you're onto something.