NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Robinson 2020 Outlook

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Non-Robinson owners and former owners who "sold high" many weeks ago continue to throw shade at a guy who is: #4 in rushing attempts among all RBs (behind Henry, Cook, Jacobs) #3 in rushing

James Robinson.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

its close, but Herbert has had arguably the greatest rookie QB season of all-time with a horrible line, at the toughest position to play well at as a rookie

[...]

Hasn't Robinson also had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever for a RB? He has already blown away any rookie season by an undrafted RB.

Just now, devaster said:

Hasn't Robinson also had one of the greatest rookie seasons ever for a RB? He has already blown away any rookie season by an undrafted RB.

This is what hurts him. At the end of the day he's a rookie, who cares about him being undrafted. Herbert takes this easily imo.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

This is what hurts him. At the end of the day he's a rookie, who cares about him being undrafted. Herbert takes this easily imo.

I know the NFL always lean towards awards to qb's but to me Robinson's year is far more impressive than Herbert's. Herbert gets to walk into a pretty nice weapons situation in the Chargers. A top 5 stud receiver in Allen, Williams is a very solid 2 receiver and Henry is also possibly a top 5 tight end. What did Robinson walk into? A team with a revolving door of reject qb's, that had unloaded half their starters before the season even started, and then he had to see stacked boxes to stop him after he had some success because there is 0 threat of a passing game in Jax. And nothing has slowed him down. In a less biased world, he should get the ROY all day. But he won't..............but we all know. ;) 

Edited by TennisDude
14 hours ago, FouLLine said:

It is a lot more likely than you think.

Likely? Explain that for me. He's on pace to destroy almost all rookie passing records. He has Atlanta and Vegas on tap after a tough matchup this week. Then he closes with a likely shootout with KC. I see virtually no chance of JR getting ROY when considering how much more QB play is valued over rushing in the NFL voting.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, devaster said:

Except he's a running back. Life isn't fair and the NFL is less fair than life.

The fact that JRob was undrafted only speaks more to how impressive his year has been so far. He's putting up the kind of stats that would be looked upon with envy from a pedigreed, first round back. He's doing it on a team with piss-poor QB play (that also happens to be a revolving door), terrible coaching, and opponents who know he's the only thing they need to focus on. It's wildly impressive.

That said, Herbert is doing the exact same thing. Higher pedigree by far, but also a more difficult position. So I really think this is much closer than a few people have opined. Burrow was the only other rookie that I think was even near the conversation - but with him out now I think this is clearly a two-man field. (JJ and Claypool are close, Gibson is making a nice late season push, but I don't think any of the 3 are quite there). The award will most likely go to Herbert because of his position, right or wrong.

The biggest difference for me is the human story of each. Herbert came in at a high draft capital and blew us away. Looks like a generational talent. And good for him. He's been amazing to own and watch. But JRob came in completely unknown, defied all odds to get where he is, and continues to defy all odds to keep doing what he's doing, week in and week out. It's a far better storyline, it's much more compelling, and anybody who isn't an a**hole is rooting for this kid to succeed. And for those of us who were in on him from the beginning, this is the kind of fantasy football story that you tell your grandkids around the fireplace, sipping hot cocoa and reminscing about the good old days when combines and drafts be damned, RBs were still good.

3 hours ago, TennisDude said:

I know the NFL always lean towards awards to qb's but to me Robinson's year is far more impressive than Herbert's. Herbert gets to walk into a pretty nice weapons situation in the Chargers. A top 5 stud receiver in Allen, Williams is a very solid 2 receiver and Henry is also possibly a top 5 tight end. What did Robinson walk into? A team with a revolving door of reject qb's, that had unloaded half their starters before the season even started, and then he had to see stacked boxes to stop him after he had some success because there is 0 threat of a passing game in Jax. And nothing has slowed him down. In a less biased world, he should get the ROY all day. But he won't..............but we all know. ;) 

They play different positions, and the simple fact is Herbert’s is MUCH more difficult, and the learning curve from College to NFL is MUCH steeper than Robinson’s.

This shouldn’t turn into a Herbert v. Robinson debate; they’ve both been phenomenal.  Not to mention, everyone has seen me defend JRob when idiots come into this thread.

But to say “In a less biased world, he (Robinson) should get ROY all day” is absolutely ridiculous.

For fantasy purposes, Robinson is the MVP.  For real football purposes, Herbert is the easy pick for ROY.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, JAG_challam said:

The fact that JRob was undrafted only speaks more to how impressive his year has been so far. He's putting up the kind of stats that would be looked upon with envy from a pedigreed, first round back. He's doing it on a team with piss-poor QB play (that also happens to be a revolving door), terrible coaching, and opponents who know he's the only thing they need to focus on. It's wildly impressive.

That said, Herbert is doing the exact same thing. Higher pedigree by far, but also a more difficult position. So I really think this is much closer than a few people have opined. Burrow was the only other rookie that I think was even near the conversation - but with him out now I think this is clearly a two-man field. (JJ and Claypool are close, Gibson is making a nice late season push, but I don't think any of the 3 are quite there). The award will most likely go to Herbert because of his position, right or wrong.

The biggest difference for me is the human story of each. Herbert came in at a high draft capital and blew us away. Looks like a generational talent. And good for him. He's been amazing to own and watch. But JRob came in completely unknown, defied all odds to get where he is, and continues to defy all odds to keep doing what he's doing, week in and week out. It's a far better storyline, it's much more compelling, and anybody who isn't an a**hole is rooting for this kid to succeed. And for those of us who were in on him from the beginning, this is the kind of fantasy football story that you tell your grandkids around the fireplace, sipping hot cocoa and reminscing about the good old days when combines and drafts be damned, RBs were still good.

The Associated Press vote the ROY. Herbet is a top five pick, he's starting for a team in LA and he's talked about all the time in the MSM. 

I like JR a lot but who's talking about him in the media? Its very telling about how the votes will play out.

5 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Likely? Explain that for me. He's on pace to destroy almost all rookie passing records. He has Atlanta and Vegas on tap after a tough matchup this week. Then he closes with a likely shootout with KC. I see virtually no chance of JR getting ROY when considering how much more QB play is valued over rushing in the NFL voting.

The league is adjusting and evolving every day.  Herbert is likely going to have at least 1 bad game if not 2 from here on out.  We will see though.  Closing the season against Denver and KC is not an easy task.  Atlanta's defense is much improved from where they started the season and Las Vegas has only been slightly an advantageous matchup for opposing QBs and WRs all season. 

But if JRob keeps going off and Herbert falters some it makes it a very close race.  Yeah everyone's going to lean towards the QB as well as the high first round draft pick.  So Robinson not only will have to do very well but he would need Herbert to falter fairly hard at this point.

But my entire point is Herbert has played 10 games and Robinson has played 11 games, both producing immensely.  But let's not crown one over the other with 5 games left on the schedule.  That's 50% of the game's Herbert has played already.

2 hours ago, Spyplane said:

The Associated Press vote the ROY. Herbet is a top five pick, he's starting for a team in LA and he's talked about all the time in the MSM. 

I like JR a lot but who's talking about him in the media? Its very telling about how the votes will play out.

JRob doesn't get the limelight he deserves.  Undrafted in a small market losing team. 

Also not that it changes the discussion any but Herbert was the 6th overall pick.

So I'm not saying it isn't an uphill battle but what I am saying is that there's too much football left to just here are the awards with 5 games left.

16 hours ago, devaster said:

no

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_best_rookie_seasons_from_nfl_running_backs/s1__33027221#slide_11

and I am a huge JRob fan

Herbert amongst rookie QB's at his pace is no 1 all-time

JRob at his pace makes this list, but prob around 9-10

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_best_rookie_seasons_from_nfl_running_backs/s1__33027221#slide_10

Edited by Golden Spikes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

no

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_best_rookie_seasons_from_nfl_running_backs/s1__33027221#slide_11

and I am a huge JRob fan

Herbert amongst rookie QB's at his pace is no 1 all-time

JRob at his pace makes this list, but prob around 9-10

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/the_best_rookie_seasons_from_nfl_running_backs/s1__33027221#slide_10

That article seems a bit biased. I would think Eric Dickerson had the greatest rookie RB season of all time, but he was down the list a bit.

46 minutes ago, devaster said:

That article seems a bit biased. I would think Eric Dickerson had the greatest rookie RB season of all time, but he was down the list a bit.

I don’t think the list was best to worse, but rather in chronological order.

E.D. would likely be in most people's top 5 of those listed 30.  Marshall and Barry were terrific and it's hard to overlook what Saquan did too.

Sayers' year would probably be my top pick.

Edited by JAG
  • Like 2
18 hours ago, devaster said:

You only have to go back 2 years for a better season by a rookie RB.

Robinson is currently on pace for 1,700 yards and less than 12 TDs.

In 2018, Saquon had over 2,000 yards from scrimmage and 15 TDs his rookie year.

In 2017, rookie Kareem Hunt led the league in rushing and had almost 1,800 yards from scrimmage.

In 2016, rookie Zeke Elliot led the league in rushing while scoring 15 TDs and having almost 2,000 yards from scrimmage.

Of course, Robinson’s story is better because he was undrafted, but his season is FAR from historic, because his position is an easy transition from college. You don’t get extra points in awards for being undrafted.

That’s why it’s not even a question that Herbert deserves ROY over him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

You only have to go back 2 years for a better season by a rookie RB.

Robinson is currently on pace for 1,700 yards and less than 12 TDs.

In 2018, Saquon had over 2,000 yards from scrimmage and 15 TDs his rookie year.

In 2017, rookie Kareem Hunt led the league in rushing and had almost 1,800 yards from scrimmage.

In 2016, rookie Zeke Elliot led the league in rushing while scoring 15 TDs and having almost 2,000 yards from scrimmage.

Of course, Robinson’s story is better because he was undrafted, but his season is FAR from historic, because his position is an easy transition from college. You don’t get extra points in awards for being undrafted.

That’s why it’s not even a question that Herbert deserves ROY over him.

Yep, look at rookie QBs that have come in and struggled in their first year, but Herbert looks like a grizzled vet. It typically takes QBs at least a year to fully grasp the NFL game and breakout in year two, Kyler for example. There are no undrafted rookie points, but like you said Robinson is a great story.

Edited by FitzMagic
  • Thanks 2
On 12/1/2020 at 10:42 PM, ginocan said:

The name that has been repeated over and over again in this very thread that is still remains to be true: Bobby Feeno. 

Foster wasn't a rookie and Houston was 6-10 with Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:54 PM, youngrice said:

Yep.  But to be fair Herbert has been amazing.   Its crazy I can not remember a RB basically not drafted that was such a stud on one of the worst teams in league.  Guy is a stud.

Where in this post that I replied to...says “rookie”...

4 hours ago, youngrice said:

Foster wasn't a rookie and Houston was 6-10 with Andre Johnson and Matt Schaub.

Ever since there is a Houston Texans football team...they have been among the worst teams in the league period. 

Not sure what you trying to prove. But whatever. Robinson still reminds me of Arian Foster. 🤷‍♂️

31 minutes ago, ginocan said:

Where in this post that I replied to...says “rookie”...

Ever since there is a Houston Texans football team...they have been among the worst teams in the league period. 

Not sure what you trying to prove. But whatever. Robinson still reminds me of Arian Foster. 🤷‍♂️

Houston had talent on offense.  A good QB and top WR which Jax does not.  As far as "rookie" I don't know what your trying to prove?  Foster finished his rookie year with around 250 yds and 3tds over his last two games.  Going into his second year there was hype and he was not an unknown.

3 hours ago, youngrice said:

Houston had talent on offense.  A good QB and top WR which Jax does not.  As far as "rookie" I don't know what your trying to prove?  Foster finished his rookie year with around 250 yds and 3tds over his last two games.  Going into his second year there was hype and he was not an unknown.

Read your own post. You said you can’t “remember a RB basically not drafted” to be a stud. And so I replied Arian Foster. But yet you replied and said Arian Foster was not a rookie. So you are the one that confused. 

Anyway, I have no further discussions and don’t want this to derail the thread. 

Robinson vs. Cook this week should be fun to watch. 

2 minutes ago, ginocan said:

Read your own post. You said you can’t “remember a RB basically not drafted” to be a stud. And so I replied Arian Foster. But yet you replied and said Arian Foster was not a rookie. So you are the one that confused. 

Anyway, I have no further discussions and don’t want this to derail the thread. 

Robinson vs. Cook this week should be fun to watch. 

Sorry I'm not the one confused.  I was responding to a post about potential rookie of year between him Herbert.  

"i'm just playing football"

... as if ya couldn't love this kid more - this is perhaps the least talkative "mic'd up" you'll ever run across ... no chirping, no trash, no dive bullchit - just a ton of bone crunching and grunts. tackle foosball is not a contact sport, it's a collision sport, and there are plenty here:

even though he got nice checkdown luv from Glennon last week, it's easy to see why he sometimes doesn't ... check out his pass pro - dude is a very effective blocker, so that is another reason he may not be out on all the routes we'd like to see him on.  but that effective pass pro assists on keeping drives alive for our Rb1nson to inch closer to paydirt.  WIN/WIN.

want another reason to love this cat?  why, yes ... yes there is ...

this weekend the Shield is allowing players a platform on their tootsies ... it's called "MY CLEATS, MY CAUSE"

Rb1nson has opted for a cause that transcends all barriers, and speaks to everyone - he will be donning footwear in honor of the American Cancer Society. 

pretty sure everyone reading this has had that scourge impact their lives in some way - i have seen far too many family/friends succumb to it over my lifetime - Cancer Sucks. 

if you wanna pay tribute to this kid, and to honor those who have lost their battles with the big C, make a donation to the ACS ... we're all in this one together ✌ 

fdiuwsgrrqzcvrc8ucm6.jpg

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2