NBC Sports Edge Forums

James Robinson 2020 Outlook

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Non-Robinson owners and former owners who "sold high" many weeks ago continue to throw shade at a guy who is: #4 in rushing attempts among all RBs (behind Henry, Cook, Jacobs) #3 in rushing

James Robinson.

Posted Images

I can't see him in the top 12, but a 2nd rounder seems fine.  I'm always apprehensive about guys that weren't supposed to happen being given a fair shake when a new staff, top to bottom, comes in

• Like 1
On 1/3/2021 at 8:50 PM, trolltoll said:

If the jags situation doesn't change much, my guess would be in the 10-15 range.

It’s already changed and will continue to change. He’ll have a new coaching staff, and a real QB in Lawrence. The Jags have 11 picks and $100 million in cap space to address the OL. I don’t see how it’s possible that his situation “doesn’t change much.” Jmho. 

• Like 2

Drafting Mixon this year has really turned me off from the "talented RB with newly draft QB1" hype train in the first 2 rounds. I'd maybe take Robinson in the late 3rd depending on the coaching hire.

1 hour ago, sSektor said:

Drafting Mixon this year has really turned me off from the "talented RB with newly draft QB1" hype train in the first 2 rounds. I'd maybe take Robinson in the late 3rd depending on the coaching hire.

But with Mixon, the hope was an upgrade at QB would improve his production and consistency.  Robinson's production has already been consistently good.

15 minutes ago, ccimore said:

But with Mixon, the hope was an upgrade at QB would improve his production and consistency.  Robinson's production has already been consistently good.

Exactly this, on both counts

On 1/5/2021 at 3:06 PM, Dylanfan66 said:

They will probably bring a veteran or rookie.  It won't play out the same. It rarely does.

Agreed no two seasons play out the same way. That being said I'm a believer in JRob's talent. The Jags may bring in more bodies at the RB spot but I fully expect our boy to win the competition. 

With Urban Meyer being the guy, I'm seeing in college he runs a spread offense. I pay no attention to college football, anyone know how he utilizes RBs? Robinson showed he has some receiving ability, I hope that he can approach the amount of touches he had in 2020. Love when an undrafted guy like him succeeds.

Or Meyer and his staff will bring in another RB they like better.  Marron was obviously a James Robinson guy, as the coach deployed the running back extensively on the way to a 1-15 record.

But Marron is gone, hopefully never to return.  Robinson is not guaranteed a thing now.

13 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Or Meyer and his staff will bring in another RB they like better.  Marron was obviously a James Robinson guy, as the coach deployed the running back extensively on the way to a 1-15 record.

But Marron is gone, hopefully never to return.  Robinson is not guaranteed a thing now.

Would be crazy to me if they just ditch him after that season. One of the best undrafted rookie RB seasons ever, top 10 yards from scrimmage for RBs as a rookie on a bad team. I think he kind of became a fan fave too during the year.

I agree that the same usage isn't guaranteed, I just hope it doesn't turn into some 50/50 timeshare that we see so much of now.

15 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Nothing is guaranteed, but Robinson is a talented RB that can fit into any scheme. And he is also on a cheap UDFA contract, meaning the team doesn't have to pay a premium at RB for a few years at the very least. It would be silly for the team to invest significant money into the position when they have a cheap rookie on an UDFA contract.

Unless Meyer prefers a RB with speed and athleticism to fit his system better.

Robinson is has solid RB skills but average physical skills.

If Jacksonville fails to sign or draft significant competition for Robinson, I'll be surprised.  One of the reasons Robinson got so much run was lack of backfield depth.  Armstead struck down by Covid, Thompson underwhelming and hurt, Oliwale and Obiaowautewankenobi basically non-factors. 

He got so much run because he was supremely talented and efficient when given the opportunity. Those other Jag RB's were non-factors regardless of their health.

Robinson was smooth catching the ball and a good pass protector. Speed at the RB position is overrated. Robison had the lateral agility and moves to make defenders miss in the hole and in space.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...