NBC Sports Edge Forums

RBs you can start at WR (and other anomalies) 2020 List

Hi, this isn't an AC post, I'm just really, really, really behind on my draft/season prep and my draft is in less than 24 hours tomorrow night.

Realized I hadn't scanned the full player list on my normal fantasy site (Yahoo!) to see which players have multi-position eligibility (WR/RB, RB/TE, etc).

Right now, this is a list of the dual-eligible players on the Yahoo! Fantasy site for 2020:

QB/WR: NONE THAT I SAW

QB/RB: NONE THAT I  SAW

RB/WR:
Bralon Addison - MIN (note: this guy is 26 years old and his last Rotoworld blurb is from 2016 - don't think he's in the league any longer)

RB/TE:
Reggie Gilliam - BUF (appears to be a pure FB breed but has okay hands so he's essentially a FB that can line up at TE and catch a few passes, not real noteworthy otherwise)
John Lovett - GB (2019 UDFA was with the Chiefs last season learning Move-TE then injured shoulder and went on IR [won Superbowl ring haha], cut by Chiefs, claimed by Packers a month ago, cut by Packers yesterday so didn't make their 53-man roster)

WR/TE:
Dylan Cantrell - ARI (26 years old, was with Chargers last season, reunited with his former college coach now with the Cards this offseason, was cut and didn't make their 53-man roster)

And...that's it.

Man, even Saints Joker player Taysom Hill is only listed at QB on Yahoo!

Also, sometimes a WR who is listed at WR (and can't be started at RB) will start getting RB snaps in real life, even though you can still only start them at WR in your fantasy site.

Playing a RB in your WR slot can allow you to start a player at WR that is touching the ball more often than a WR typically does per game.

Some players I've checked so far to see what they're official position is set at on the Yahoo! Fantasy site right now (9/5/2020):

WAS Antonio Gibson - RB
WAS Bryce Love - RB

MIN Cordarrelle Patterson - WR <------ This could be a possibility

CHI Tarik Cohen - RB

CAR Christian McCaffrey - RB

SF Tavon Austin - WR (and on IR it looks like this year already with a knee injury)
SF Kyle Juszczyk - RB (he's a Fullback that occasionally catches passes, had 20 catches for 239 receiving yards and 1 receiving TD last season along with 3 carries for 7 rushing yards)

SEA Tyler Lockett - WR
SEA Philip Dorsett - WR

Anyone have any other suggestions to check for players that both catch passes and get rushing attempts?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Robrain said:

Also, sometimes a WR who is listed at WR (and can't be started at RB) will start getting RB snaps in real life, even though you can still only start them at WR in your fantasy site.

Playing a RB in your WR slot can allow you to start a player at WR that is touching the ball more often than a WR typically does per game.

Some players I've checked so far to see what they're official position is set at on the Yahoo! Fantasy site right now (9/5/2020):

WAS Antonio Gibson - RB
WAS Bryce Love - RB

MIN Cordarrelle Patterson - WR <------ This could be a possibility

CHI Tarik Cohen - RB

CAR Christian McCaffrey - RB

SF Tavon Austin - WR (and on IR it looks like this year already with a knee injury)
SF Kyle Juszczyk - RB (he's a Fullback that occasionally catches passes, had 20 catches for 239 receiving yards and 1 receiving TD last season along with 3 carries for 7 rushing yards)

SEA Tyler Lockett - WR
SEA Philip Dorsett - WR

Anyone have any other suggestions to check for players that both catch passes and get rushing attempts?

As you mentioned, it's only beneficial if you can start a WR who is really a RB, or like two years ago with Jaylen Samuels at the TE position when he was really a RB.  The reverse scenario doesn't benefit anyone.

I thought of Cordarrelle Patterson immediately (who is on the Bears now, not Min).  With David Montgomery's injury, number 84 may get some run at RB getting the ball from old MitchiePoo.  The others you list are pretty much at their standard positions.  I've owned Juszcyk before thinking the same but he's just pretty much a gadget guy when it come to offensive touches.  Much more valuable in real life to the team than in fantasy.

Laviska Shenault the rookie on Jags seems to be a Swiss Army knife as well, listed as a WR who might get some run at RB perhaps.  But the Jags backfield is already a complicated mess, and now Devonta had a visit.  So probably nothing to see there.

Edited by CooL
  • Thanks 1

Call me crazy but be on the lookout for Tyler Ervin in GB. Especially if you are in a return yardage league. 

he is listed as a rb, he won’t get anything more than a sweep or two a game BUT he was fully practicing with the WR in camp. He ran routes and worked with them all the time. He was impressing and then they made the reporters stop giving camp updates daily after he was impressing. 

They didn’t do Anything to improve the wr core in the offseason but he may be a guy they use at that position. 

he’s the return guy too so may be valuable in those leagues, however, it is clearly for a deep bench and 12+ FF team leagues. 

• Like 1
Just now, Tenner said:

Taysom Hill is listed as a TE so there is some intrigue there. 

Which fantasy website are you using for his league?  I just checked Yahoo! Fantasy Football and he's a QB on there.

5 hours ago, PackerBacker555 said:

Call me crazy but be on the lookout for Tyler Ervin in GB. Especially if you are in a return yardage league. 

he is listed as a rb, he won’t get anything more than a sweep or two a game BUT he was fully practicing with the WR in camp. He ran routes and worked with them all the time. He was impressing and then they made the reporters stop giving camp updates daily after he was impressing. 

They didn’t do Anything to improve the wr core in the offseason but he may be a guy they use at that position. 

he’s the return guy too so may be valuable in those leagues, however, it is clearly for a deep bench and 12+ FF team leagues. 

Haven't heard of this kid, but for this topic, if he's an RB who might get time at WR, that doesn't help us for fantasy football purposes.  Because that means you have to put him in your RB slot.  We need to find the WR or TEs that will be playing significant RB snaps as that's where the advantage is.  Cordarelle Patterson has a crazy amount of projected points for a little used WR.  They have projected for 80 carries.  That's where the value is.

5 hours ago, Georgemjs said:

Lynn Bowden - WR/RB. He was just traded so he won't do much week 1 but could develop into something. Has Breida and Howard in front of him

I haven't been paying attention much, but trading a top 100 pick before the season starts for nothing?  lol.

8 hours ago, Georgemjs said:

Lynn Bowden - WR/RB. He was just traded so he won't do much week 1 but could develop into something. Has Breida and Howard in front of him

Yeah, I just double-checked the RB page on Yahoo! and now Bowden is showing up at WR/RB eligible for me over there.

Cool cool, will keep him on my radar.  Someone on Twitter mentioned he might be basically a slot WR that does return duties.  Depending on how much he gets peppered with targets, could be useful in full-point PPR leagues (especially deeper full-point PPR leagues) as a sort of Edelman-lite that you can start in your RB spot to pinch-hit for bye weeks, depth issues (it is this whole COVID season we're in...), etc, especially if your league also scores return yards.

• Like 1

People are saying the only value is rbs who are wr eligible I’m confused why zero rb enthusiasts don’t think a slot wr in ppr isn’t a viable rb2?

Edited by cyberer
  • Like 1
Just now, cyberer said:

People are saying the only value is rbs who are wr eligible I’m confused why zero rb enthusiasts don’t think a slot wr in ppr isn’t a viable rb2?

You would need consistent volume from the slot WR otherwise it's just pinch-hitting for a week and not a true "cheatcode" where they're garnishing 10-20 touches per week.

Would be more useful in deeper leagues where your options are more limited for that purpose.

On 9/6/2020 at 5:30 AM, Georgemjs said:

Hard to imagine he'll get much RB snaps with both Howard and Breida there.  Plus the coach saying it's going to take him some time to learn how they do things.  So we can't expect much for a while.