NBC Sports Edge Forums

Who'd you target and hit/miss?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I targeted CMC in both of my drafts but despite having the 9th and 7th picks I was unable to land him.  

McLaurin instead of Kupp might be the best "mistake" you ever make.

one draft in ... hit on Kyler, Golladay, Slayton, Ruggs, Slats Murray, Mattison, Jonnu, Stillers D ... all on the wish list going in. missed on the Riddler, Green Akers, Private Dobbins 🤷‍♂️

I can't recall a year where i ended up getting so many guys I really heavily targeted.   Usually i miss often or i get sniped, etc.  I do only four non best ball leagues, and here's how it went

• DJ Moore and Mostert were probably my favorite players, and i got both 3 times apiece, though ironically the one team i feel is my best has neither of these guys. 
  • There are a lot of guys i wanted just one share of quite a few guys, and got it-  Kyler Murray, Josh Allen, Fuller, Kupp, Hurst, and Waller all stand out there.
  • Others I got often- Sanders, King Henry, Gesicki as a backup

Of players i'm disappointed i missed, there honestly isn't many.   I got only one share of Parker and i wanted to load up more.   I really wanted to get Kittle once, i haven't had him yet and i feel a big year is coming.   He was only available to me in my two redrafts.   I drafted in 6 and 7 in my two redraft leagues, and Miles Sanders was there both times, with Kittle unsurprisingly not making it back to me in the third.  

7 minutes ago, BrianM said:

List the guys here you fawned over and were able to get, or those that you really wanted but missed.  

Was beaten to Dak by one place. Drafting #5 was pretty annoying as the four guys ahead of me are all pretty good. In round 3 they took every single one of my four targets at the start of the round - Godwin/Kittle/Conner/Kelce (10-teamer).

Honestly, apart from that and all the RBs being gone by the middle of the second round, it went pretty well.

• Like 1

I kept whiffing on the second-tier QBs (Kyler, Watson, Wilson, Dak) which was annoying. However I did get shares in each league of pretty much every late-rounder I like this year, including Shepard, Diontae Johnson, Bryan Edwards, Aiyuk, McKinnon, Damien Harris, etc so I’m sitting pretty in the grand scheme of things 

Hits: Odell Beckham Jr and DJ Chark Jr.

Misses: Melvin Gordon, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Gardner Minshew, Blake Jarwin

I also ended up drafting at least one player I wasn't targeting and never mock drafted that just seemed to still be there waiting to get drafted where I was like well, o.k. wasn't in any of my draft plans but I guess Dak Prescott is my QB. 

2 minutes ago, WaiverLooter said:

Carson in mid to late third round I thought was a great pick but the guy who owned him last year got him before I had a chance

It feels like even a few weeks ago Fournette and Bell were top 30 guys while Carson was sometimes still on the board 5-6 picks later.  Sometimes its good to draft later on I guess. 

• Like 1

Oh that reminds me- auction draft w keepers, i can blow my budget without a full roster, and i get free guys but have to sit out until all the money is spent, then you select what's left in a post-draft snake.    I decided this year to be that guy and had five roster spots open.  I had a list of 25 guys i was ready to draft as freebies, chewing fingernails hoping most don't get nominated.    I angrily missed Bryan Edwards, Snell, and Pittman but was powerless.     Luckily got Sims and Van Jefferson at least.   

15 minutes ago, BrianM said:

It feels like even a few weeks ago Fournette and Bell were top 30 guys while Carson was sometimes still on the board 5-6 picks later.  Sometimes its good to draft later on I guess. 

I think this can go both ways just by pure luck. Maybe you drafted Lat Murray early this year without Kamara on your roster and then Kamara decides to hold out last week. A sudden change might really benefit or hurt you.

But it does feel better to draft with the least amount of certainty leading up to actual games. I think the fine line there is that legal troubles or contract disputes feels fluky/cheap/copout but injuries, poor play of an individual or the collective team is fair game in my book. Drafting late minimizes but obviously doesn’t remove that flukiness factor.

Edited by WaiverLooter
  • Like 1

Picked 6th in a 12 team 0.25 ppr 

Wish list in first 5 rounds...in order

6) Henry/Cook

19) Drake/Adams/Evans 

30) Mahommes/Golladay/OBJ/Thielen 

43) Cooper/Kupp/Chark

54) Ingram/Terry/Singleterry

Ended up with Henry, Drake, OBJ, Amari Cooper, Mark Ingram.

I then flipped Ingram for Kupp straight up. I was pretty happy with it. 

Misses:

- I wanted Golladay but there was only so much I could do in a snake. 

- I wanted Parker in the 6th

This seemed like a fun thread idea, thank u to the creator. 

I wanted to come away in both of my redraft leagues with Metcalf and AJ Brown. Figured both would be huge in PPR. Draft strategy was RB, then take Lamar Jackson (QB friendly leagues), then AJ Brown and then Metcalf. Had the 1st pick so I went CMC, Lamar Jackson, AJ Brown and was super pumped thinking I could get Metcalf since he was ranked as basically a 5th rder and I was gonna grab in the 4th. Went the pick before me and it literally left me scrambling and ended up with Tyler Lockett (ugggghhhh) but was still able to land Mark Andrews with one of those bookend picks. Next draft I had the 6th pick and took CEH, then Lamar Jackson, and this time I changed things up and went way early and grabbed Metcalf, then somehow I was able to land AJ Brown in the 4th. Then immediately got sniped for Mark Andrews/Darren Waller. Snagged Burrow (who I really really like going forward) in both leagues as my backup QB.

The guy I HAD TO HAVE IN ALL OF MY KEEPER LEAGUES was Bryan Edwards. Snagged him in 3 out of 4 and wanted him so badly in the other that I traded Devin Singletary for him. Took him in both of my redraft leagues as well. Was completely sold on him when I heard the comp of Andre Johnson 2.0 

Edited by JeterPimpedUrGF

10th overall pick 12tm PPR 2FLEX main targets i got: K.Drake, J.Connor, C.Ridley, Metcalf and Gallup.  

targets i missed: A.Ekeler Prescott, DJ Chark and D.Waller (could of had Dak but Fournette fell to the late 6th rd and could not pass up the value)

Edited by brooklynfinest42

Players most interested in but missed out on, I had the 10th pick in both my leagues... what are the freakin odds. Bummed out I had zero chance for landing Cmac, & King Hendry never dropped far enough.

DK Metcalf: 0 of 2

Calvin Ridley: 0 of 2

AJ Brown: 0 of 2

DeVante Parker: 0 of 2

Hollywood Brown: 0 of 2  

QB: Ryan, Stafford, Minshew, Big Ben

RB: Jacobs, Taylor, Akers

WR: Odell, Moore, Chark, McLaurin, AJB, Hilton, Sutton, Hollywood Cooks, Jeudy

TE: All the Hs.

Was very successful in getting Jacobs, Odell, McLaurin, and Cooks. Taylor/Akers was a split in my leagues. Odell is cheaper than Moore it seems, so he was easier to get. McLaurin fell too far in both leagues(50s), so I scooped.

Cooks was easy to get in the 80s and he's a 4th type receiver, so the risk is minimal, and the upside is obvious. I was willing to wait on TE in most leagues and saw Hurst go early 100s in both leagues, swiped him in 1/2.

QB, just wait until the end. You can get your guys. I got Wentz/Ryan in 8 team league and Stafford/Minshew in the 10 teamer.

That WR list highlights just how deep WR is this year.Left out guys like Thielen, Diggs, and Allen, only because they generally are valued highly in my leagues, so no sneaky picking of those guys.

I got most of the players I wanted on offense in my 16 team dynasty startup draft. Hollywood at 80*, Gibson at 240* and Hurst at 160*. Only player I really wanted and missed was Calvin Ridley, which I would have had to reach 6 or 7 spots and AJ Brown fell from 21* to 31* so I had to grab him.

Later, got some of the fliers I really wanted, not all of them, because I had a lot on the list. The once I actuelly took was Duverney, Trautmann and Cobb.

On defense it was the complete difference. I targeted the whole rookie class and got essentially noone of them. Queen, Murray, Simmons, Young, Chinn, McKinney all gone waaaaaaaaaaaaay earlier than i expected - real bummer. Recently traded for Chinn, but the league is insanely high on them (even higher than me and i thought I was stupid high). 

*Note:This draft was like 8 weeks ago, so the ranking was a lot different than it is today. Feeling like a genius with my gibson pick 😀
Extra Note: This was a home league draft, so it wasn't filled with experts to phrase it nicely :) 

Edited by thebadferret