NBC Sports Edge Forums

Justin Jackson 2020 Outlook

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Mr_Baller said:

So decent RB2 this week against the Raiders.

Everyones RB situation is different. But I’m tentatively planning on starting him every week until Ekeler gets back. His pass catching role provides a stable enough floor for me in 0.5 PPR where I feel comfortable deploying him every week.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Mr_Baller said:

Yeah he should be in most lineups unless you are loaded at the position. He's a solid back and he always has been.

Every time he gets tackled I cringe though. He's just had so much trouble with injury. Let's hope he can stay on the field. He should be pretty bankable until Ekeler is back. He keeps it up and he may be flex worthy/low end RB2-ish even then. They are utilizing the RBs pretty heavily and generally they always do.

Edited by Benjamin1984
8 hours ago, Mr_Baller said:

That's exactly what I'd consider him, right around RB15. There's always some injury concern, but he's the 1A who catches balls in an explosive offense. 

22 minutes ago, Islanderman said:

For some reason cbs has his projection to be .1 this week with a down arrow.  That is a little confusing considering he did real well against a tough run defense last week.

... they see white smoke eminating from Lynn's office 

56 minutes ago, Islanderman said:

For some reason cbs has his projection to be .1 this week with a down arrow.  That is a little confusing considering he did real well against a tough run defense last week.

They have Ekeler projected for 15 cause the most recent blurb on his CBS page is he's eligible to return this week. Obviously that ain't happening, so I'd guess Jackson's projection moves to 11-12 sooner than later. 

Yeah he's a high end RB2 until Ekeler is back. He's getting guaranteed receiving work and every Defense is playing for the pass against the Chargers, so he gets good running room. Locked up the backfield last week, should be a 60-70/40-30 split between him and Pope going forward.

Ekeler could be back as early as week 10, but more realistically probably week 12-13. Small chance he doesn't play this year if Chargers take another loss or two.

21 minutes ago, coleworld7 said:

I’m really hoping ekeler is back later than sooner of just potentially shut down if they’re out of contention so I Jackson can remain RB2 ROS

By all accounts that seems pretty likely. Not shut down necessarily, but at least out a few more weeks. 

On 11/4/2020 at 10:01 PM, coleworld7 said:

I’m really hoping ekeler is back later than sooner of just potentially shut down if they’re out of contention so I Jackson can remain RB2 ROS

It seems very likely that J Jack is an easy RB2 for the next month--perhaps even longer? Here is the latest report from the Athletic:

"Nothing new on Ekeler. We’ve said all along that we wouldn’t be surprised if he is out until December. This is a very serious hamstring injury, far worse than your typical strain. The hamstring tendon ripped off of the bone. While he doesn’t need surgery, this takes a lot of time to heal. There’s a very high risk of re-injury when coming back from this. It’s been four weeks since Ekeler was hurt, and he could need another four before he is ready to return to the field."

4 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

It seems very likely that J Jack is an easy RB2 for the next month--perhaps even longer? Here is the latest report from the Athletic:

"Nothing new on Ekeler. We’ve said all along that we wouldn’t be surprised if he is out until December. This is a very serious hamstring injury, far worse than your typical strain. The hamstring tendon ripped off of the bone. While he doesn’t need surgery, this takes a lot of time to heal. There’s a very high risk of re-injury when coming back from this. It’s been four weeks since Ekeler was hurt, and he could need another four before he is ready to return to the field."

and with the team currently 2-5, do you even risk bringing Ekeler back this season if it’s so easy to re-injure? If it’s another 4 weeks and you’re 2-9, I’m not so sure.

4 hours ago, Steve226 said:

and with the team currently 2-5, do you even risk bringing Ekeler back this season if it’s so easy to re-injure? If it’s another 4 weeks and you’re 2-9, I’m not so sure.

If I'm the Chargers probably not.  If there is a high risk of reinjury and more importantly, worse injury where he would then need surgery.  It doesn't make snese.  Let him rest rest rest for next year

I think NFL teams/players like to get game reps even if it’s just for next year. They definitely won’t rush Ekeler back but I don’t understand the logic of icing him if he’s 100% later in the season. Because he might suffer an injury that could linger into next season? Then they should bench half their team(Herbert included)

6 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I think NFL teams/players like to get game reps even if it’s just for next year. They definitely won’t rush Ekeler back but I don’t understand the logic of icing him if he’s 100% later in the season. Because he might suffer an injury that could linger into next season? Then they should bench half their team(Herbert included)

Since this was a grade 3 hamstring (severe), risk of re-injury is even higher than a normal hamstring injury. Coaching staff, trainers, will ultimately make a decision.

The passing game usage really helps elevate his floor this week:

The Raiders have been very friendly to opposing running backs, allowing 9.1 targets per game to the position, third-most in the league. Additionally, running backs are scoring on 5.9% of carries against the Raiders.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BIGFATPANDA said:

4th best RB on his own team...

This has to be a joke, right? Kelley is awful.

Justin Jackson is the best RB on this team not named Austin Ekeler. And it sounds like Ekeler will be out at least another 2-3 weeks.

This dude is an easy RB2 while Ekeler is out... just imagine if the TDs start coming along with the rushing/receiving yardage totals.

• Like 4