NBC Sports Edge Forums

9/10 - GAME DAY THREAD

2 minutes ago, aapox said:

Okay, baseball minds brighter than mine...how are people able to so consistently not only put contact on Dustin May but really square him up?

Is his fastball movement that readable? He's throwing pure 100mph smoke with a tail on it and I feel like all year it's not as devestating as it should be.

Is it A) he doesn't disguise well; b) he doesn't work in enough offspeed to keep hitters off balanc; c) combination of both; d) other?

yeah, could be anything. arm angle. something. he is good though.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

yeah, could be anything. arm angle. something. he is good though.

Word.

FYI May got pulled after warming up in the 2nd. He was beaned on the thick of his left foot by the lead-off hitter in the bottom of the 1st, finished the inning, but then was limping/noticeably uncomfortable. He should be okay, but something to keep an eye on. Small chance he gets pushed a couple days 😕

3 minutes ago, aapox said:

Word.

FYI May got pulled after warming up in the 2nd. He was beaned on the thick of his left foot by the lead-off hitter in the bottom of the 1st, finished the inning, but then was limping/noticeably uncomfortable. He should be okay, but something to keep an eye on. Small chance he gets pushed a couple days 😕

After he got hit, Did his foot look like Tyrones??

image.jpeg.de1145e126ef0ec7ae4a7d8174b848f8.jpeg

• Haha 1

This is bull***.. raining  pretty hard in Chicago, Sonny Gray can't grip properly.  You can see him slipping off the mount multiple times.  Someone could get hurt.  What's wrong with baseball? 

Now, the infielders are falling down.

Edited by KingJoffrey
5 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

This is bull***.. raining  pretty hard in Chicago, Sonny Gray can't grip properly.  You can see him slipping off the mount multiple times.  Someone could get hurt.  What's wrong with baseball? 

I hope that his bad start is due to the weather (sounds like it is).  That's 2 straight bad starts for the guy.

Edited by mehtavg2000
5 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I hope that his bad start is due to the weather (sounds like it is).  That's 2 straight bad starts for the guy.

Lotta bit of weather, little bit of the Cubs really grinding a lot of SPs down this year. They're a super pesky bunch if you can't strike them out, and while Sonny has multiple times before, maybe couldn't quite do it with the conditions. I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's a throw-away type game...slip n slide out there.

12 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

Hey man... Grown a** men and professional athletes out there. I appreciate you and your takes but on this one I gotta go with suck it up and play the game in the conditions!! I agree with you that it's wet and wild but I don't see any water pooling or anything and I think, this year especially, if you can get the game in, you get the game in.

1 minute ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Can any explain why Tony Gonsolin pitched a little today when he's supposed to start tomorrow?

May was hurt and had to be removed.  Gonsolin probably not starting tomorrow.

• Like 2