NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jared Goff 2020 Outlook

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I dunno, but the caps in the title is triggering me.

He didn't bomb against Seattle they just had multiple rushing TDs instead.

Man, just think about it. Goff and Wentz went #1 & #2 overall in 2016, and both signed BIG extensions before their rookie deals were up. Both franchises are now basically stuck with bloated c

He may not be the best fantasy pick amongst QBs (low passing volume) but he has stayed afloat and is currently ranked 14th on Fantasypros (he is ranked 12th in my league). He has been serviceable and have some good weeks as the schedule softens up moving forward.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/stats/qb.php

Ranked ahead of Lamar at the moment (I know there was a bye week involved, but still).

• Like 1

Am I the only one who remembers when Goff was at the helm of an offense thought to be an unstoppable juggernaut, with three must start WRs and an elite RB1, to the point that people were stashing players like Josh Reynolds in the event he became the WR3 in this offense as a result of an injury in deeper leagues?  

Wasn't that just like two years ago?

Or am I dreaming?

14 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Am I the only one who remembers when Goff was at the helm of an offense thought to be an unstoppable juggernaut, with three must start WRs and an elite RB1, to the point that people were stashing players like Josh Reynolds in the event he became the WR3 in this offense as a result of an injury in deeper leagues?  

Wasn't that just like two years ago?

Or am I dreaming?

Belicheck broke Mcvay in the Superbowl. Ever since then, his playcalling has been horrible and he's put Goff in horrible positions. #1 rushing attack vs the #32 Miami rush defense and Goff throws 30 times in the first half. 

Unfortunately, Goff hasn't progressed as much as I'd hope either, but half of his struggles fall on Mcvay. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, sjm76 said:

Does anyone trust Goff even just for this week as a streamer because he's playing Seattle?  He looked awful last week but again, he is playing the Seattle secondary.

As a Tannehill owner, I picked up Goff to stream over Tanny this week in a must game for me. I feel better about the move after Tannehill’s point total on TNF, but starting Goff always feels like a  massive roll of the dice. Matchup is juicy and the passing volume should be there, but that doesn’t always translate to FF points with this guy.

Hoping for 280 yards and 2 TDS, anything extra would be gravy. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

Enticing playoff schedule. 

Jets Seahawks Cardinals

It's baffling how this guy bombs against Seattle's awful secondary but lights it up against TB. I'll take it and let's hope he turns it around for the playoffs because that schedule does look amazing. 

9 minutes ago, Edgeraid said:

It's baffling how this guy bombs against Seattle's awful secondary but lights it up against TB. I'll take it and let's hope he turns it around for the playoffs because that schedule does look amazing. 

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

From a fantasy perspective he bombed and the Seahawks secondary is trash. I don't care about real life. 

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, lolcopter said:

what are we thinking for emergency QB situation here? not a start this week obviously, but week 15 home against NYJ and week 16 @SEA is very intriquing

I'm starting Cousins this week instead and then rolling Goff out weeks 15 and 16 if I make it that far. Great matchups.

6 hours ago, lolcopter said:

what are we thinking for emergency QB situation here? not a start this week obviously, but week 15 home against NYJ and week 16 @SEA is very intriquing

I have a bye and that’s my plan. For his career. Goff does well against inferior defenses.. not so good against superior defenses

• 1 month later...

I post the entire interview as I saw a number of reports suggesting that the Rams are ready to move on from Goff. Start listening at around 5:00 where the GM is asked point blank whether there "is a scenario where Jared Goff is not on the Rams roster the next season". Snead dodges the question a bit, then mentions Goff's achievements; he is pressed again but refuses to commit.

1 hour ago, Boudewijn said:

I post the entire interview as I saw a number of reports suggesting that the Rams are ready to move on from Goff. Start listening at around 5:00 where the GM is asked point blank whether there "is a scenario where Jared Goff is not on the Rams roster the next season". Snead dodges the question a bit, then mentions Goff's achievements; he is pressed again but refuses to commit.

At the end Snead also goes into the question of wether moving on makes even sense financially and in terms of cap space, and he confirms that would be really hard. When pressed, finally he says (after a pause) "Anything is possible". That doesn't sound at all like this is their plan.

All in all it's a good example of how soundbites are not the entire story.

Edited by Boudewijn

Goff isn't the answer.  The organization knows that and knows the f'ed up by giving him that contract off 1 good year.  There's not much they can do though.  I'm not sure what the cap hit would be to move on from him, but I don't see them in a position to trade for Stafford or Watson.  They aren't going to sign Dak and they aren't in a position to draft one of the top ones.  They are pretty much stuck because Goff is still better than a lot of the other garbage out there.  

6 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

I'm not sure what the cap hit would be to move on from him

https://overthecap.com/player/jared-goff/4714/

It would seem that if they do want to get rid of him, they should aim for a trade, preferably post June (which is businesswise a bad idea).. It should also be noted that the Rams are already quite bad capspacewise, so the best they can do for now is live with him, draft a couple more Oline/TEs and try to give him unlimited time to throw. And feed Akers the rock 25 times a game to keep the pressure off Goff.

12 hours ago, GottaGetTheWin said:

Goff isn't the answer.  The organization knows that and knows the f'ed up by giving him that contract off 1 good year.  There's not much they can do though.  I'm not sure what the cap hit would be to move on from him, but I don't see them in a position to trade for Stafford or Watson.  They aren't going to sign Dak and they aren't in a position to draft one of the top ones.  They are pretty much stuck because Goff is still better than a lot of the other garbage out there.  

Laugh if you want, but I think Wolford is a legitimate candidate to be the starter in 2021. He throws the ball as well as Goff, and can run. He makes the team better. Goff is quickly going down the Bortles, Trubisky career path. 

Man, just think about it.

Goff and Wentz went #1 & #2 overall in 2016, and both signed BIG extensions before their rookie deals were up. Both franchises are now basically stuck with bloated contracts for two very average (at best) QB's.

• Like 3

Admittedly I was scratching my head at the Goff deal when it was signed as well, but I can at least see their logic - they thought he was going to be a stud and said let's lock him up before the cost moves up even more. Obviously, it ended up backfiring (same with Wentz, for now). But Snead also goofed with Tavon Austin (seriously!), Cooks, and Gurley's extensions, I'm surprised he doesn't catch more flak for his terrible deals.

• Like 2