NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Vent & Rant Thread

1 minute ago, HTXMade said:

thats why we play the game. The best team doesn't always win

It just ruins the fun of building the best team when it ends up not even mattering, and some mediocre team gets lucky for one week and they're crowned the champion. I'm sure it's an awesome feeling for that team, but feels like a kick to the nuts when all your time, effort, and success over the course of the year is all meaningless when one week of bad luck trumps all of that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me going up against Kamara and Thielen watching the last minutes:    

Check this lost this weekend. .. I needed 3.83 from Singletary . got 3.80    110.92 vs. Compare Managers

Posted Images

1 minute ago, GoPackGo23 said:

It just ruins the fun of building the best team when it ends up not even mattering, and some mediocre team gets lucky for one week and they're crowned the champion. I'm sure it's an awesome feeling for that team, but feels like a kick to the nuts when all your time, effort, and success over the course of the year is all meaningless when one week of bad luck trumps all of that.

Again, don't play in leagues that allow that to happen. In my opinion, those are bad leagues. 

25 minutes ago, GoPackGo23 said:

Play in Roto leagues.  That's the only way to avoid that. 

8 hours ago, GoPackGo23 said:

Leagues I run I try and take out as much luck as possible. 8 teams but huge starting rosters. Start more guys then a standard 12 teamer. This way you get more credit for guys you draft and trade for in your starting lineup instead of small lineups where everyone has two good rbs and 3 good wr's and one good qb. 

We start 2 qb, 4 rb, 4 wr, te, 2 flex, k, def.

Then the most important part of taking alot of luck out of it is we play everyone in the league every week. So it is not just total points since you still play h2h vs everyone. 7 wis or losses a week. It makes it more exciting on sunday night and monday night since you can still win/lose alot of games each week. Of course it is more boring on sunday since you are not facing any one team. But still better imo to get rid of the single h2h luck. 

Then the final thing we do is no playoffs. We play all 17 weeks. Even week 17 since just another regular season week for our league. Teams that get off to a bad start in playoff leagues can be done 6 weeks in. n this format they can still come back the next 11 weeks. Not be done by week 6 since 6 teams make it by week 13. No more unlucky points against crap in this format. I have ran leagues for 35 years now so been in every kind you can imagine but this is by far my favorite and most fair.

Edited by FantasyGeek2018
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Leagues I run I try and take out as much luck as possible. 8 teams but huge starting rosters. Start more guys then a standard 12 teamer. This way you get more credit for guys you draft and trade for in your starting lineup instead of small lineups where everyone has two good rbs and 3 good wr's and one good qb. 

We start 2 qb, 4 rb, 4 wr, te, 2 flex, k, def.

Then the most important part of taking alot of luck out of it is we play everyone in the league every week. So it is not just total points since you still play h2h vs everyone. 7 wis or losses a week. It makes it more exciting on sunday night and monday night since you can still win/lose alot of games each week. Of course it is more boring on sunday since you are not facing any one team. But still better imo to get rid of the single h2h luck. 

Then the final thing we do is no playoffs. We play all 17 weeks. Even week 17 since just another regular season week for our league. Teams that get off to a bad start in playoff leagues can be done 6 weeks in. n this format they can still come back the next 11 weeks. Not be done by week 6 since 6 teams make it by week 13. No more unlucky points against crap in this format. I have ran leagues for 35 years now so been in every kind you can imagine but this is by far my favorite and most fair.

Why not just play best ball and simplify things. And playing week 17, aren’t you just re-introducing the “luck” you tried avoiding by having the potential for a team sit their players? Like this week, probably no Mahomes, Hill, etc. Not fair to those owners if you ask me. 

Oh and the 7 wins you were referring to is like the extra win each week against league median. You get 1 win for your H2H matchup and an extra win/loss for top 7 scores for the week (assuming 14 team league). 

Edited by Sonny_D
3 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Why not just play best ball and simplify things. And playing week 17, aren’t you just re-introducing the “luck” you tried avoiding by having the potential for a team sit their players? Like this week, probably no Mahomes, Hill, etc. Not fair to those owners if you ask me. 

Because week 17 in this format is no more important then week 1. Just another regular season week. Best ball is boring for non active owners. I would rather not play at all then draft a team and watch with no changes.

4 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

Because week 17 in this format is no more important then week 1. Just another regular season week. Best ball is boring for non active owners. I would rather not play at all then draft a team and watch with no changes.

Lol. How do you not watch with no changes? In fact best ball encourages even MORE changes and waiver moves every week because EVERYONE is in play. When you charge $$ for every pickup (like we do in our league), it builds up the payoff pot that much more. 

Right, because week 17 is just as important as week 1, you’ve now just punished a team for having Mahomes and Hill. Hey, just my opinion man. 

Edited by Sonny_D
9 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Lol. How do you not watch with no changes? In fact best ball encourages even MORE changes and waiver moves every week because EVERYONE is in play. When you charge $$ for every pickup (like we do in our league), it builds up the payoff pot that much more. 

You play different then any league I read about. Best ball I read is you draft a team and you are done for the year. No changes.

For your edit...Week 17 counts the same as week 1 in the standings. Not some championship week. If you were worried Mahomes might sit week 17 then dont draft him. I have him as one of my qbs and still happy I drafted him even with him sitting the last week. In a playoff league with a title game I would not play week 17 since it is a special game. 

21 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

You play different then any league I read about. Best ball I read is you draft a team and you are done for the year. No changes.

For your edit...Week 17 counts the same as week 1 in the standings. Not some championship week. If you were worried Mahomes might sit week 17 then dont draft him. I have him as one of my qbs and still happy I drafted him even with him sitting the last week. In a playoff league with a title game I would not play week 17 since it is a special game. 

I get that it’s a full 17 weeks. My only point is it can still come down to 1 win for first place. The fact that you guys took this route to eliminate a lot of the luck (which I happen to agree with btw), but then still play a week 17 is just a little odd IMO. That’s all. 

And yeah, our best ball format is just like any other regular league in terms of weekly adds/etc. This is the first year we’ve done it, and only b/c of Covid to avoid potential game cancelations/etc. But in the end, it was quite exciting and our league has eclipsed the normal adds by like 30% this year. Added approx $2500 to the pot (haven’t seen an official total yet). 

Edited by Sonny_D
17 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Again, don't play in leagues that allow that to happen. In my opinion, those are bad leagues. 

What leagues could somehow prevent luck from being a huge factor, except roto leagues(which never seem popular here). It is what it is. Generally the better constructed teams will make the playoffs(although some teams get screwed there too) but in the playoffs where it's one and done with the huge weekly variance there is in regards to players performances it's almost all luck. 

29 minutes ago, owenmills said:

What leagues could somehow prevent luck from being a huge factor, except roto leagues(which never seem popular here). It is what it is. Generally the better constructed teams will make the playoffs(although some teams get screwed there too) but in the playoffs where it's one and done with the huge weekly variance there is in regards to players performances it's almost all luck. 

So, I play in an all-play league. 12 team league. 6 teams make the playoffs. Top 2 get byes. First week of the playoffs, top 2 scoring teams of the other 4 advance. Then the final four play in a 2 week final. Winning team is the one that has the highest point total across those 2 weeks.

Luck will always matter, but there's no way a mediocre team could win a championship in this league do to lucky circumstances.

3 hours ago, ajs723 said:

So, I play in an all-play league. 12 team league. 6 teams make the playoffs. Top 2 get byes. First week of the playoffs, top 2 scoring teams of the other 4 advance. Then the final four play in a 2 week final. Winning team is the one that has the highest point total across those 2 weeks.

Luck will always matter, but there's no way a mediocre team could win a championship in this league do to lucky circumstances.

So it’s a hybrid H2H/roto league, where regular season is H2H and playoffs are roto. Not bad

I’ve also like the setup where you play 2 games a week in the regular season, one against your opponent and one against the league average. So even those weeks where you score a lot and lose because you play another high scoring team, it’s not all for naught. Unfortunately my yahoo league doesn’t do that nor am I sure yahoo is even capable. 

7 minutes ago, owenmills said:

So it’s a hybrid H2H/roto league, where regular season is H2H and playoffs are roto. Not bad

I’ve also like the setup where you play 2 games a week in the regular season, one against your opponent and one against the league average. So even those weeks where you score a lot and lose because you play another high scoring team, it’s not all for naught. Unfortunately my yahoo league doesn’t do that nor am I sure yahoo is even capable. 

Regular season isn't head to head, it's all-play. That means you play against every team every week. So, if you're the top scoring team, you beat all other 11 teams, and you go 11-0. If you're the lowest scoring team, you go 0-11, etc. 

• Like 1

So because our league is using all these new rules that we've never used before (2 IL spots among other things) it's led to a shitload of confusion.  Apparently because I had Burks in the starting lineup today and not on IL when I made a 1:1 trade (JJJ for Sexton straight up) I had to drop a player.

Who do I drop?  Easy decision.  Burks.  But now the trade won't go through until the 7th AND I CAN'T DROP BURKS EVEN THO HE'S NOT EVEN INVOLVED IN THE TRADE HE'S JUST A DROP.

FFS MAN.

On 12/29/2020 at 2:36 PM, ajs723 said:

On 12/29/2020 at 5:55 PM, ajs723 said:

Regular season isn't head to head, it's all-play. That means you play against every team every week. So, if you're the top scoring team, you beat all other 11 teams, and you go 11-0. If you're the lowest scoring team, you go 0-11, etc. 

What is the win-loss record generally of the playoff teams?  Seems like you basically take the top 6 scoring teams and put them into the playoffs.  And then anything goes.  Theoretically you could have a marginal team with the sixth highest score that gets in, then kills it for 4 weeks because you own David Montgomery and Stefon Diggs.

I've played in a roto league before that was so boring because after four weeks, when you're 200 points behind the leader, you know there's no way you're going to catch-up.  The season becomes a lost one for most.  

In head to head, It is frustrating when you have the second highest score of the week but you happen to be playing the guy with the highest score.  But that's just fantasy and part of the game. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, CooL said:

What is the win-loss record generally of the playoff teams?  Seems like you basically take the top 6 scoring teams and put them into the playoffs.  And then anything goes.  Theoretically you could have a marginal team with the sixth highest score that gets in, then kills it for 4 weeks because you own David Montgomery and Stefon Diggs.

I've played in a roto league before that was so boring because after four weeks, when you're 200 points behind the leader, you know there's no way you're going to catch-up.  The season becomes a lost one for most.  

In head to head, It is frustrating when you have the second highest score of the week but you happen to be playing the guy with the highest score.  But that's just fantasy and part of the game. 

143 total games. 75+ wins or so usually gets in.  It doesn't always correlate to total points. Perfect example, last year I went 68-75, and missed the playoffs, but scored more total points than the 6th seed team that went 78-65. Just going by total points will reward a team that randomly blows up and scores 200+ points in a couple of weeks. 

This is a dynasty league, and teams definitely do fall out of contention, but that's part of the fun. You have years where you're a buyer, and years where you're a seller.

I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I strongly prefer the basic H2H model and I'd adamantly refuse to join a league that tries to take the the luck out of it.   "But what if you have the best team and lose because of dumb luck?"  Well, I have, of course.  It's just more fun dealing with the chaos, and the wild back and forth swings.   My longest running league is one where we still tell stories every single year about the craziest finals, and we'll have one again this year.  For entertainment's sake, the equitable model is akin to a distance race- if one runner gets far ahead, there's no drama, no fun.  Its fair, of course, but boring as hell.   I prefer FF to be more like poker.  Sure, unlucky stuff's gonna happen, but its just ridiculously more fun.  You don't call the hand after the turn if one guy's up 80-20 because he clearly outplayed the other guy........no, it goes to the final card because that's entertaining.  If you're truly good at poker, you'll inevitably get burned often by bad beats........but you'll still win a ton.   Its 2020 now and its easy to play 4-5 leagues or more if you want to.  Increase your odds, and if you're really good at this, you're gonna win plenty, and I'm betting you'll enjoy it a lot more when you do

• Like 3
2 hours ago, BrianM said:

I don't know if I'm in the minority here but I strongly prefer the basic H2H model and I'd adamantly refuse to join a league that tries to take the the luck out of it.   "But what if you have the best team and lose because of dumb luck?"  Well, I have, of course.  It's just more fun dealing with the chaos, and the wild back and forth swings.   My longest running league is one where we still tell stories every single year about the craziest finals, and we'll have one again this year.  For entertainment's sake, the equitable model is akin to a distance race- if one runner gets far ahead, there's no drama, no fun.  Its fair, of course, but boring as hell.   I prefer FF to be more like poker.  Sure, unlucky stuff's gonna happen, but its just ridiculously more fun.  You don't call the hand after the turn if one guy's up 80-20 because he clearly outplayed the other guy........no, it goes to the final card because that's entertaining.  If you're truly good at poker, you'll inevitably get burned often by bad beats........but you'll still win a ton.   Its 2020 now and its easy to play 4-5 leagues or more if you want to.  Increase your odds, and if you're really good at this, you're gonna win plenty, and I'm betting you'll enjoy it a lot more when you do

That's fine. To each his own. However, I'm speaking to the people venting about being on the verge of quitting because it's so unfair and all luck. It doesn't have to be all luck. You can dial the luck factor way down. If you like the crapshoot, that's great. But don't sign up for it and then moan about it. 

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

Its 2020 now and its easy to play 4-5 leagues or more if you want to.  Increase your odds, and if you're really good at this, you're gonna win plenty, and I'm betting you'll enjoy it a lot more when you do

It's less exciting for me when I have more than one team.

I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors - oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer Simpson?"

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, BrianM said:

2 hours ago, Nap Time said:

I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors - oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Homer Simpson?"

Agree with both of you. I mainly focus on one home league which is 6 years old and every year had it's stories. There is nobody who was lucky every year and there is nobody who was unlucky every year. There's a team who was the "trashcan" 3 out of the last 4 years and just won the ship this year.

19 hours ago, Nap Time said:

I wanna eat a grinder, a sub, a footlong hero!  I wanna live Marge.........won't you let me live!!!

20 hours ago, ajs723 said:

That's fine. To each his own. However, I'm speaking to the people venting about being on the verge of quitting because it's so unfair and all luck. It doesn't have to be all luck. You can dial the luck factor way down. If you like the crapshoot, that's great. But don't sign up for it and then moan about it. 

Agreed.   You know what you're getting into with this, and sure, a gripe is fine, but a full on existential crisis is a bit much.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1