NBC Sports Edge Forums

2020 Buy Low/Sell High Thread

3 minutes ago, Butters said:

Is there really a Ridley owner who would trade him for Julio? I think that is a buy low on Ridley if you can pull it off.

I’d like to think Mixon is a buy low. But can’t pry him and certainly paying full price.

Ridley owner here. 

Crazy to think, but I don’t think I would at this point. Ridley is the WR1 right now by almost 20 points in .5 ppr. How do you sell that?

• Like 2
  • Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm a bit leery of trying to pull off a twofer sell high with the COVID nonsense. Starting to feel depth is more valuable than studs this year.

This. Others seem to not to get it but it’s not our duty to explain. If I’m being told Ekeler is a sell high and Corey Davis is a buy low, then this thread is bonkers. That’s my perspective. 

You are my target market.

1 hour ago, PisEdiRin said:

Is TY Hilton still a Buy Low??

Absolutely.  The quintessential buy low imo.  Coming off a run heavy game, bad drop, main competition hurt, and perception that the QB can't take advantage of his top skill (TBD).

Look at the guy who posted after you as an example.  He doesn't think he's a buy low presumably because it the JT show going forward despite the game flow aspect and that TY has a GOLD track record if healthy. Recency bias to the extreme.

Edited by Magoo
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, next big thing cp84 said:

Ridley owner here. 

Crazy to think, but I don’t think I would at this point. Ridley is the WR1 right now by almost 20 points in .5 ppr. How do you sell that?

Well the Julio probably being hurt thing changes the equation, but you seem to be missing the idea behind buying and selling these guys. If Ridley was doing worse than Julio, why would the Jones owner do the deal? The only way this trade can happen is by selling when Ridley is outperforming Jones. Yes, that makes trades a lot more terrifying because you could end up selling a hot start and later find out it was an early breakout/changing of the guard. But even if they end up doing exactly as expected coming into the year, Ridley was going to have some weeks where he did a lot better than Jones. I'm not going to say you're wrong for refusing to trade Ridley for Jones, but you should probably have reasons for thinking their roles have reversed going forward, otherwise you should revert back to preseason rankings and make that move every time.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Well the Julio probably being hurt thing changes the equation, but you seem to be missing the idea behind buying and selling these guys. If Ridley was doing worse than Julio, why would the Jones owner do the deal? The only way this trade can happen is by selling when Ridley is outperforming Jones. Yes, that makes trades a lot more terrifying because you could end up selling a hot start and later find out it was an early breakout/changing of the guard. But even if they end up doing exactly as expected coming into the year, Ridley was going to have some weeks where he did a lot better than Jones. I'm not going to say you're wrong for refusing to trade Ridley for Jones, but you should probably have reasons for thinking their roles have reversed going forward, otherwise you should revert back to preseason rankings and make that move every time.

I disagree to this. Look at Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. Evans ECR was higher all pre season to godwin, but we know who had the better year. This can be the same case, Ridley is getting open and Ryan is loving him. Same can be said for Ben and Johnson. The slot position is big, and in PPR leagues they get volume, when the TDs come this is what puts them into the WR1 range and break out seasons

Mentioned on the Fuller thread- Houston drew KC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh to start the year.  Another week of poor offense and people are going to be giving up on guys like Watson and DJ.  I'm not saying David Johnson is gonna save your season, but hell, you might get him for Anthony Miller and get a flex player out of it.  

1 minute ago, BrianM said:

Mentioned on the Fuller thread- Houston drew KC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh to start the year.  Another week of poor offense and people are going to be giving up on guys like Watson and DJ.  I'm not saying David Johnson is gonna save your season, but hell, you might get him for Anthony Miller and get a flex player out of it.  

Anthony Miller who is almost a drop because of his usage Anthony Miller? David Johnson isnt being given up on, if anything people are hoping he is the only safe piece of the offense to trust. Sure he isnt producing up to par right now, but he was drafted as more than a flex

7 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Anthony Miller who is almost a drop because of his usage Anthony Miller? David Johnson isnt being given up on, if anything people are hoping he is the only safe piece of the offense to trust. Sure he isnt producing up to par right now, but he was drafted as more than a flex

Oh I'm not saying its a smart or fair deal for a DJ owner, just that you can get people to do stupid, desperate trades if their players start slow.  If DJ puts up a 7 point week again next week, you really think a sizeable minority of DJ owners won't strongly consider dumping him for 50 cents on the dollar?

Oh I'm not saying its a smart or fair deal for a DJ owner, just that you can get people to do stupid, desperate trades if their players start slow.  If DJ puts up a 7 point week again next week, you really think a sizeable minority of DJ owners won't strongly consider dumping him for 50 cents on the dollar?

Honestly no. Whats to say people do that with Derrick Henry, Mixon, Julio, Woods. Its week 2, send the offer sure but anyone selling their RB2 for a flex play should just hand the season over

I sold cmac for ekeler.  Cmac supposed to miss 4 to 6 weeks and ekeler owner offered me this today and I accepted in a 12 teamer. One thing that factored into this decision is my league stupidly has no ir slot and 6 bench spaces. If i could stash him on ir I might refuse,I also gave up bryan edwars for ayuik in a2 for 2. I have fine wr depth and have no plans to keep ayuik long term anyways.

18 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

Honestly no. Whats to say people do that with Derrick Henry, Mixon, Julio, Woods. Its week 2, send the offer sure but anyone selling their RB2 for a flex play should just hand the season over

I'm not sure those players compare to DJ's situation.   Henry led the league in rushing last year.  Julio has been a top 5 WR for basically a decade.   Woods is doing just fine.  Mixon maybe is apt to compare there I guess.   DJ is on a new team and a guy who's struggled for quite a few years now- seeds of doubt have to be seeping in to some people

I'm not sure those players compare to DJ's situation.   Henry led the league in rushing last year.  Julio has been a top 5 WR for basically a decade.   Woods is doing just fine.  Mixon maybe is apt to compare there I guess.   DJ is on a new team and a guy who's struggled for quite a few years now- seeds of doubt have to be seeping in to some people

So Ekeler, Drake fall into that category too? You cant expect too much from a guy who is getting older on a bad offense

18 minutes ago, JacobThunder15 said:

So Ekeler, Drake fall into that category too? You cant expect too much from a guy who is getting older on a bad offense

No, neither are on a new team and multiple seasons removed from their peak.

I mean, it's a buy low thread and i'm saying David Johnson is a target with a bad week 3 performance, if that happens.  I can't fathom how that's so inconceivable.   Have you never seen a leaguemate hastily dump an underperforming player?

2 hours ago, JacobThunder15 said:

I disagree to this. Look at Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. Evans ECR was higher all pre season to godwin, but we know who had the better year. This can be the same case, Ridley is getting open and Ryan is loving him. Same can be said for Ben and Johnson. The slot position is big, and in PPR leagues they get volume, when the TDs come this is what puts them into the WR1 range and break out seasons

I would consider that a reason for thinking their roles have been reversed. It's fine if you think he's going to be better going forward as I literally said. My point was you can't just look at the points so far and let that in itself be the basis for your reasoning.

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I would consider that a reason for thinking their roles have been reversed. It's fine if you think he's going to be better going forward as I literally said. My point was you can't just look at the points so far and let that in itself be the basis for your reasoning.

My reasoning would be how they look on the field and the type of targets that are coming their way