NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tre'Quan Smith 2020 Outlook

oresteszero

He has a really nice starter kit, as far as measurables. He is big and fast, and runs decent routes. He played in 2 WR sets more than Manny Sanders in WK1...but I do not think (even in an extended MT absence) that he will garner enough looks to be remotely consistent. Deep leagues should add for speculation, but this offense will run a ton now and then go with intermediate targets to AK, Cook and Sanders with plenty of others splitting the remainder. Brees simply doesn't go deep anymore--they will play conservative, esp with a very good defense.

• Like 1

• tonycpsu changed the title to Tre'Quan Smith 2020 Outlook

As the Right Honorable Gentleman above me said, he's a good stash (0% FAAB, post-waiver stash IMO) on speculation.  I've been a believer in his talent for quite some time but he may never be more than a situational deep threat that can never really be counted on outside of maybe 14-teamers.  But if he's ever going to "pop," now would be the time with Thomas likely out through week 7.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

As the Right Honorable Gentleman above me said, he's a good stash (0% FAAB, post-waiver stash IMO) on speculation.  I've been a believer in his talent for quite some time but he may never be more than a situational deep threat that can never really be counted on outside of maybe 14-teamers.  But if he's ever going to "pop," now would be the time with Thomas likely out through week 7.

I sure hope so. Although there’s a bunch of people ahead of him in targets, he’s shown in the past that all he needs is a few big plays to relevant in fantasy, which won’t be consistent most likely. 

19 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

He just went for $21 FAAB in my league. 

Assuming it is 21% of the total FAAB? That is aggressive...

But the long shot is... Tre'Quan taking over the slot "Michael Thomas" role and produces some usable % of MT...

I can see someone in 3 WR/2 Flex 12++ leagues team doing that

25 minutes ago, oresteszero said:

I sure hope so. Although there’s a bunch of people ahead of him in targets, he’s shown in the past that all he needs is a few big plays to relevant in fantasy, which won’t be consistent most likely. 

vintage Breez/Payton, and i'd be all over this cat ... but the 2020 version is looking much more conservative - that D is friggin' nasty, and i see Cook and Slats as the big beneficiaries here ... dunno how many shots they're gonna need to take to make this kid consistently relevant. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JetsAwesome said:

are we forgetting cook , sanders and kamara  are still there vulturing 6-10 targets a game each ?  I think it's more than likely their target share increase.  Trequan might get 4-5 more looks a game but who really knows?

That is what keeping his bids low, or closer to zero in most leagues...

No one is really expecting much ATM. Maybe after we see week 2...

im high on Tre'quan after the MT injury. Think there was an article of Payton talking him up about a month ago. Nothing against sanders but he is 33 years old, I think Sean will start to get Smith involved starting Monday against the raiders.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2020/08/21/nfl-saints-training-camp-trequan-smith-stats/

https://www.si.com/nfl/saints/news/trequan-an-important-part-2020-trainingcamp

Edited by kdpat15

I'm not sold. He'll have an uptick with MT out, no doubt, but I don't foresee enough of one to warrant a spot in my lineup. He's not the giant possession WR monster MT is. The Saints played awfully conservative on Sunday (and it was effective). Kamara/Sanders/Cook are the main beneficiaries as someone said above. This just doesn't look like the high flying Saints offense of old - and they don't need to be. Tre'Quan is going to need to hit on some deep balls to pay off I think. 

1 minute ago, Tenner said:

Saints fan here. Keep looking guys. 

Its going to be the Latavius Murray team for a few weeks. With AK and Hill doing their things. 

Fellow Saints fan here who's been thinking the same thing. Someone in one of my leagues asked me today what I thought about TQ, and I told him I thought the Saints were about to get run-heavy until Thomas returns. Brees isn't the Brees of old, and I think his targets will be primarily limited to Sanders, Cook, and the RBs. We could be wrong here, especially with a suspect LV pass defense this weekend, but this situation just seems like it's about to be heavy doses of Lat and AK with some Monty sprinkled in. 

46 minutes ago, kdpat15 said:

Time to unleash the Quan, lot of haters in here! go to the Sanders/Cook threads people if you want to talk about them! we are hopping on the train ride here

I don’t understand this mentality. There is no way to talk about players without talking about the guys they are competing with for touches/targets. Also, no one is hating on TQ. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I don’t understand this mentality. There is no way to talk about players without talking about the guys they are competing with for touches/targets. Also, no one is hating on TQ. 

honestly my post was more sarcasm than anything lol, was just trying to get the hype train rolling on Trequan

• Like 1