NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tre'Quan Smith 2020 Outlook

oresteszero

6 minutes ago, kdpat15 said:

I do think there is a role for Quan to carve out if he can, the talent, pre season coach speak and opportunity are all there; he just has to seize it now! so TBD lol

100%. 

Fantasy value is all about when opportunity meets talent. He's got talent or he wouldn't be in the NFL. So, I saaaaayyyy....

Let's get this hype train a rollin'! Wooot!!!!

Fr anniversary hype!! | Flight Rising Discussion | Flight Rising

• Like 1

Just sharing some info I came across today.

Tre’Quan Smith: There will be a lot of fantasy owners flocking to Emmanuel Sanders, and rightfully so, but don’t forget about the Saints former third-round pick who’s never had the opportunity he’s about to. Over the course of his career, Smith has seen 70 targets, turning them into 47 receptions for 665 yards and 10 touchdowns. That’s 9.5 yards per target and a touchdown every 7.0 targets.

If you’re looking for a hail mary start this week (especially in DFS), you could do a lot worse than Smith. He should be locked into at least 4-5 targets in this game, which has netted results in his career, and he’s likely to see a lot of the rookie Damon Arnette who was just burned for 110 yards and a touchdown in his debut.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Q1. Who is a player outside of our top-100 flex rankings that is a deep sleeper start and why do you think he has upside this week?

Tre’Quan Smith (WR – NO)

@ LV
“I’m going very deep here and saying Smith. He’s played in just 11 games where he’s seen three-plus targets. In those games, he’s scored 10-plus PPR points in six of them. With Michael Thomas out of the lineup, Smith will be asked to play a much larger role in the offense and should see four-plus targets against the Raiders, who are starting rookie Damon Arnette at cornerback. He allowed 110 yards and a touchdown in his coverage in Week 1.”

– Mike Tagliere (FantasyPros)

Tre’Quan Smith had just one catch in the opener, but he looks to have a much bigger role offensively this week with Michael Thomas on the shelf. Smith has all sorts of talent, but lacked consistency throughout his career. He gets a chance to start and get consistent work for the next several weeks. He also has a great matchup against the Raiders this week, a team that allowed the ninth-most fantasy points to WRs in Week 1.”
– Jeff Paur (RTSports)

Do we know for a fact that Michael Thomas will not play Monday night? I know it's a high ankle sprain and that's typically a multi week injury, which likely means he will be out. But, until he is ruled out I'm not doing anything in the way of picking up and potentially playing Smith (which I'm probably gonna be desperate enough to do).

Figures it's a Monday night game though.

SMH...

19 hours ago, The G Man said:

Do we know for a fact that Michael Thomas will not play Monday night? I know it's a high ankle sprain and that's typically a multi week injury, which likely means he will be out. But, until he is ruled out I'm not doing anything in the way of picking up and potentially playing Smith (which I'm probably gonna be desperate enough to do).

SMH...

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports there’s “a little hope” Michael Thomas (ankle) can play in Week 2 against the Raiders.

The Saints have been “surprised at Thomas’ progress” at practice. Thomas has an extra day to get cleared with the Saints playing on Monday night but remains unlikely to suit up. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thomas is expected to miss “several weeks.”

Source: ESPN
Sep 18, 2020, 11:46 AM ET

19 hours ago, The G Man said:

SMH...

At least you have the option of having a plug in if they make it a GTD.Personally I'm a Brees owner and I'm concerned about him playing on grass as his past has shown.I'm also a Smith owner so the MT news before Monday would be helpful in that I'll take the gamble in hopes of a hookup between the two.Smith would also be my flex and based on my other options seem about as good as any.

Good luck.

22 minutes ago, Fabrini said:

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports there’s “a little hope” Michael Thomas (ankle) can play in Week 2 against the Raiders.

The Saints have been “surprised at Thomas’ progress” at practice. Thomas has an extra day to get cleared with the Saints playing on Monday night but remains unlikely to suit up. NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Thomas is expected to miss “several weeks.”

Source: ESPN
Sep 18, 2020, 11:46 AM ET

Isn't Pelissero the same reporter that reported Kamara received an epidural? Kamara was obviously fine and played season opener, maybe he jumped the gun on this Thomas injury being a high ankle sprain?

8 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Isn't Pelissero the same reporter that reported Kamara received an epidural? Kamara was obviously fine and played season opener, maybe he jumped the gun on this Thomas injury being a high ankle sprain?

Fake News? Say it isn't so :D

15 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Looking like the Saints' WR1 until Thomas returns after balling out on MNF.  Emmanuel Sanders was nowhere to be found and has clearly fallen behind this intriguing talent. 

Looking like a safe ppr option with some floor. Brees looks horrible tho

• Like 1

It’s really hard to say. I mean, I’m really glad I picked him up as a FA just before the Monday Night game for a look-see because (a) somebody in my league paid $66 for E Sanders and (b) Tre’Quan looked pretty good. You could do worse, frankly. They were bigging him up a little before the season, and without MT involved he was getting a lot of different looks. He’s capable of the big play too.

Bottom line, I’m forced to play him this week because Sutton, Campbell and Chark all went away, and I’m not too unhappy. I’m not expecting the moon though.

1 hour ago, warriorathlete21 said:

I’m forced to pick between him and Lazard this week because of injuries.

I like that he’s been in the slot quite a bit. Just unsure with how brees has played so far.

I’ve got the same decision to make. Could be a coin flip.

I liked what I saw from Tre’Quan last week but he got almost nothing in garbage time when they needed to get downfield. Brees just went to Kamara every time. Felt like it should have been a much bigger day. 

1 hour ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I’ve got the same decision to make. Could be a coin flip.

I liked what I saw from Tre’Quan last week but he got almost nothing in garbage time when they needed to get downfield. Brees just went to Kamara every time. Felt like it should have been a much bigger day. 

That’s just how this offense runs now — get the ball to Kamara in space and let him do his thing. I don’t think Brees trusts Tre’Quan with the game on the line yet. I was very encouraged with his usage last week, maybe he’ll get there with the trust. Having no issues flexing Smith in a very deep league. But yeah, I’m not convinced the ceiling is there when the offense seems so built around Brees’ current physical limitations.

Yeah he is basically directing replacing all the MT routes (though not his usage)...

He was impressive Mon, just a monster to bring down after the catch. I think Brees picks up the pieces upon returning home. It is a risk with TQS but this GB secondary isn't worrisome--as far as a matchup. Much of the struggle with Brees last week was his timing being off because the O-Line had a surprisingly tough time with the Raiders front 4, IF they give him time to step up in the pocket it should be a good floor and solid ceiling for TQS this week.