NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Tre'Quan Smith 2020 Outlook

oresteszero

24 minutes ago, UVA_Drew said:

I had moved on from Smith with Thomas expected back. But now with both Thomas and Cook out this week, he could be worth a flier for a monster target week 1 last time. 

Yeah- gameflow was there for the Packers as well but they got crushed regardless. Not sure if Brees will throw 40 times. What about 35? 10 targets Kamara, 6-8 for Sanders, remaining 15 targets === ????

• Like 1

Gotta think Smith has a comfortable floor with both Thomas and Cook out (and Sanders doing very little over 3 games-a step slower and out of sync with Brees), plus a rather very high ceiling since he's their only deep threat and will probably get 3-4 deep chances to keep the field stretched somewhat for Kamara's dumpoffs.

Edited by TennisDude

8 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I’m going to start him but not overly optimistic about his outlook, he’s disappointed the last two weeks with Michael Thomas out. All Brees does is look down field for a second and then dump off to Kamara. 

You gotta think teams know that now though. I mean at some point don't you put 2 linebackers to spot Kamara? lol They can't just dump to him every game. Plus, they aren't even winning dumping to Kamara. They are actually losing because of it, by boxing in their offense.

51 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I’m going to start him but not overly optimistic about his outlook, he’s disappointed the last two weeks with Michael Thomas out. All Brees does is look down field for a second and then dump off to Kamara. 

You were disappointed with his 7-for-86 performance week 2?

2 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

You were disappointed with his 7-for-86 performance week 2?

And that was with Cook out there gobbling up targets....I mean this is an indoors game and on paper should be a shootout. Brees has to throw to someone downfield.

Edited by MrPositive

1 hour ago, MrPositive said:

And that was with Cook out there gobbling up targets....I mean this is an indoors game and on paper should be a shootout. Brees has to throw to someone downfield.

Cook had 2 catches for 13 yards week 2.  1 was for a TD.

I dunno about Smith. I lost MT, but just haven't seen enough consistent usage from Smith to outweigh other options. Starting him still seems very much like a flyer.

On 10/3/2020 at 11:34 AM, gsiegel said:

Cook had 2 catches for 13 yards week 2.  1 was for a TD.

I dunno about Smith. I lost MT, but just haven't seen enough consistent usage from Smith to outweigh other options. Starting him still seems very much like a flyer.

Well Cook had 5 targets in that game. I just believe they have to know now that dumping off to Kamara almost every play is not going to win games. It boxes in your offense and results in 3 and eventually will result in a 3 and out with no points. They've simply got to stretch the field somehow, and Smith is the only guy that can really do that. He's gonna get plenty of targets in this game. Now whether he catches them or not is another thing altogether.

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Well Cook had 5 targets in that game. I just believe they have to know now that dumping off to Kamara almost every play is not going to win games. It boxes in your offense and results in 3 and eventually will result in a 3 and out with no points. They've simply got to stretch the field somehow, and Smith is the only guy that can really do that. He's gonna get plenty of targets in this game. Now whether he catches them or not is another thing altogether.

Agreed,so much so that I'm starting him over McLaurin due to Terry's health/match-up.Cook and Thomas being out for the Saints made it a much easier decision as well.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Brees's arm strength is similar to that of Jamie Moyer these days.  A deep guy like Smith is being wasted with Brees in there.  Thus the million dump offs to Kamara.

It’s possibly true, but Brady is 2 years older and hit 3 deep shots last week. Shrug 

13 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Brees's arm strength is similar to that of Jamie Moyer these days.  A deep guy like Smith is being wasted with Brees in there.  Thus the million dump offs to Kamara.

Saints fan here. Love Brees and he's a future HOFer 

But if not for Michael Thomas the last 4 years .. his numbers would be catastrophic.

3 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

It’s possibly true, but Brady is 2 years older and hit 3 deep shots last week. Shrug 

True but Brady is Brady, and Brees is Brees. 

Can't just look at it in a vacuum & pronounce that. 

12 minutes ago, FMIII said:

@RunCMCWhat are your thoughts/prediction on Smith today? [...] With both Cook&MT out are all the targets going to go to AK and Sanders?

I don't believe much changes, maybe a couple more deep bombs coming his way.

He's not turning into a PPR darling for today, just hope he breaks a long one.

Good luck mate !

Edited by RunCMC
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dent416 said:

Going forward, whats his value like with Thomas back in the lineup? Worth a roster spot?

0 if Thomas returns. This play in Week 4 was all about Thomas and Cook both being out and guaranteeing Smith some looks for TD's. Smith is probably only a play if both those guys stay out.

• 3 weeks later...