NBC Sports Edge Forums

Manfred continues to want to kill baseball...

In the same vein MLB should bring in the mercy rule. 10 run lead game over after the inning is over. Watching the Cards lose 18-3 or a Rockie 29-5 loss makes u wish it was just over. About the March Madness thing, Every team does have a shot at the tourney of 64, it is called Conference tournaments the week before. U suck regular season just win ur tournament and a borderline bubble team get knocked out. I hope a lot of changes are just for this year but the DH is prolly here to stay for better or worse. I hate the guy on second in extra innings and really hate 7 inning doubleheaders.

• Like 1
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Horrible analogy. Currently 68 out of 350 teams make the ncaa tournament. Expanding the mlb playoffs would be like expanding the tournament to 175.  No one would want to watch it. 

Half of the NBA teams make the playoffs, so this can't be that bad, right? Well, the best regular season team advances in the NBA 80% of the time. StatsByLopez looked into this and found that to

Expanding the playoffs like that would pretty much obliterate the value of the regular season. Let's hope not. 

7 hours ago, posty said:

It is so sad to see the people that want the DH to stay in the NL...  So sad...

Nothing sad at all.  The DH is a treasured tradition in baseball in the AL for decades.  It makes baseball far more fun.  It does away with the fake "strategy" (aka paint by numbers a child of 5 could so) regarding pitch hitters and double switches and silly stuff like that which is just first grade busy work.  There is no real strategy in NL ball.  Everyone knows this.

Time to bring some fun and joy to the NL.  What is sad is not having the DH in the NL and watching pathetic pitchers who can't hit.  They also have it too easy on the mound where the pitcher and the 8th place batters are oh so easy outs.  They should have to man up and pitch to real hitters.

What is ultimately sad is playing by two sets of rules for the same game.  The DH is here to stay.  It isn't ever going away.  Time to make it universal.  Actually it was time to make it so 47 years ago.  Talk about being late to the party, NL.  You are finally watchable this season for the first time in nearly half century.  Don't turn back the clock to caveman days next year. 

And they won't.  They already have DH talent on their teams now and are geared up for it.  The Players Association won't allow these guys to lose their jobs next year for no reason whatsoever other than cheapskate owners wanting to save on salary.  Time for the NL to play real hardball.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I bet none of you watch March Madness 😂 

Too many teams make it! Participation trophies!  I bet college basketball would be more popular among fans if just 4 teams made the playoffs.

Different sport and different rules. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nothing sad at all.  The DH is a treasured tradition in baseball in the AL for decades.  It makes baseball far more fun.  It does away with the fake "strategy" (aka paint by numbers a child of 5 could so) regarding pitch hitters and double switches and silly stuff like that which is just first grade busy work.  There is no real strategy in NL ball.  Everyone knows this.

Time to bring some fun and joy to the NL.  What is sad is not having the DH in the NL and watching pathetic pitchers who can't hit.  They also have it too easy on the mound where the pitcher and the 8th place batters are oh so easy outs.  They should have to man up and pitch to real hitters.

What is ultimately sad is playing by two sets of rules for the same game.  The DH is here to stay.  It isn't ever going away.  Time to make it universal.  Actually it was time to make it so 47 years ago.  Talk about being late to the party, NL.  You are finally watchable this season for the first time in nearly half century.  Don't turn back the clock to caveman days next year. 

And they won't.  They already have DH talent on their teams now and are geared up for it.  The Players Association won't allow these guys to lose their jobs next year for no reason whatsoever other than cheapskate owners wanting to save on salary.  Time for the NL to play real hardball.

Agreed 100%. Pitchers are there to pitch, they hit like minor leaguers who would never make it to the Majors.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I bet none of you watch March Madness 😂 

Too many teams make it! Participation trophies!  I bet college basketball would be more popular among fans if just 4 teams made the playoffs.

How many college teams with a losing record get rewarded with participating in March Madness or a college Bowl game? My main issue isn’t the number of teams, it’s rewarding losing teams for having a shot at the WS. Since 2010 the NL has had only 2 seasons with 8 teams finishing above .500. Two. If you aren’t able to have a winning record after162 games then you don’t deserve to play for the WS. This isn’t the NFL where you have 16 games and every win/loss counts. You had 162 games so plenty of time.

You brought up the Cardinals. That team won their division. They earned their shot. The 10 NL teams who weren’t able to finish above .500 that season didn’t. 

• Like 2

The postseason is supposed to be where the best of the best duke it out. When 70-something win teams start making it in, it'll be a farce. You can't compare it to other sports; that's an apples to oranges argument and if you're making it, you've already moved the goalposts so far that you've effectively given up your side of the argument to the slaughter. It is so much easier to win a baseball game than any other type of team athletic event. This is why the 162-game season is of any value at all. It takes time to separate the wheat from the chaff. The worst NBA team of all-time won an equivalent of 17 MLB games. The best NBA team of all-time won an equivalent of 144 MLB games. Get the picture? To not only have the chaff make the postseason, but give them close to a coin-flip chance if they move to a best of 3 in the first round, is an idea so asinine that it defies explanation.

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

The postseason is supposed to be where the best of the best duke it out. When 70-something win teams start making it in, it'll be a farce. You can't compare it to other sports; that's an apples to oranges argument and if you're making it, you've already moved the goalposts so far that you've effectively given up your side of the argument to the slaughter. It is so much easier to win a baseball game than any other type of team athletic event. This is why the 162-game season is of any value at all. It takes time to separate the wheat from the chaff. The worst NBA team of all-time won an equivalent of 17 MLB games. The best NBA team of all-time won an equivalent of 144 MLB games. Get the picture? To not only have the chaff make the postseason, but give them close to a coin-flip chance if they move to a best of 3 in the first round, is an idea so asinine that it defies explanation.

Pretty sure everyone understands this. If the 162 means something, and we understand that in baseball anything can happen in 3 or 5 or even 7 games, than there should be no playoffs. End of the season, best team wins. Isn’t that the most fair, best way to decide a championship in baseball?

The answer is yes. So as soon as you start to discuss WHY we even have playoffs at all, maybe you’ll start to grasp the point. 

I like the new rules, as long as they keep the runner-on-2nd extra innings rule to the regular season only.  I even hope they schedule in a few 7-inning doubleheaders for each team. It changes the game a little, sure, but every game evolves over time (see: vintage baseball) and adding in a little variety keeps things interesting.  Every single professional sport we watch has evolved with rule changes over time, and being opposed to change just for traditions' sake ironically ignores the tradition of game rules changing over time.  

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Pretty sure everyone understands this. If the 162 means something, and we understand that in baseball anything can happen in 3 or 5 or even 7 games, than there should be no playoffs. End of the season, best team wins. Isn’t that the most fair, best way to decide a championship in baseball?

The answer is yes. So as soon as you start to discuss WHY we even have playoffs at all, maybe you’ll start to grasp the point. 

Oh teacher teacher I know why we have playoffs.  We have playoffs so the very BEST teams can compete to win the World Series.  The cream of the crop.  The ones that earned it over a long, rough season.  They won the right to play head-to-head for it.  Not so middling, participation trophy teams can try and get lucky at the end.

Does a Cinderella team sometimes win in this format?  Sure but only once in a blue moon.  Which is what a Cinderella win is all about.  That it is so rare that it is memorable.  Not that every year it happens which just makes it a silly, dumb down win and not a true Cinderella win.

11 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

:lol:

If the double switch is so easy, why do managers still screw it up some?

Edited by posty
19 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Oh teacher teacher I know why we have playoffs.  We have playoffs so the very BEST teams can compete to win the World Series.  The cream of the crop.  The ones that earned it over a long, rough season.  They won the right to play head-to-head for it.  Not so middling, participation trophy teams can try and get lucky at the end.

Does a Cinderella team sometimes win in this format?  Sure but only once in a blue moon.  Which is what a Cinderella win is all about.  That it is so rare that it is memorable.  Not that every year it happens which just makes it a silly, dumb down win and not a true Cinderella win.

Why not the best team in each league? Why do you think some middling, participation trophy winner like the 2nd place team in some division deserves a playoff spot?

See, here’s the thing. You either think the 162 matters and the champ is crowned at the end. Or you believe in playoffs. What’s happening is everyone here has decided that YOU know the perfect amount of playoff teams that should make the playoffs (which, as you know, is laughable).

What is the perfect amount? I don’t know. But I do know the difference between a .618 team and a .565 team isn’t all that great, and I’m ok with them playing it out in a series at the end of the year to see who gets to move on. For fun. For excitement. For fans.

I also know that in ANY playoff, the best team doesn’t always win. That’s true of all sports. 

I like all the changes tbh.  DH- great.  Extra inning rule- good, I like the excitement and hate staying up late.  Doubleheaders- sure.  The playoffs is the iffiest one for me but the way I see it you’re trading some meritocracy in exchange for more excitement and maybe even better growth for baseball. I will say I do think there should be a way to give some benefit to the top seed tho at least SOMETHING even if 8 teams make the playoffs which I’m fine with 

• Like 3
Just now, posty said:

That is an AL manager for you...

LOL.  AL managers don't make those mistakes unless stuck in inter-league play at a NL park in the past.  A scenario that always gave the NL the advantage as AL teams always lost one of their best hitters in those scenarios.  Time to stop giving the NL teams even more stupid advantages like that.  Position players love the DH and NL pitchers can just go in the the corner and whine and moan and curl up in a little ball and cry but their easy living days are over. They have to play real baseball from this season on.

DH is garbage and not the way the game should be played. You come off the field you are out for the rest of the game. The NL should have told the AL to piss off and we wont ever play one game with the fake DH rule in any stadium back in the day. Have your own world series if you want to.

All wild cards suck. Now letting half the inferior teams get in to get lucky in a 3 game series. Would stop watching if it is done after this weird season.

Edited by FantasyGeek2018
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you @Mongeese, @mbc1999 and @FantasyGeek2018 for the support...  I was wondering if I was the only one here that thinks the DH is one of the worst rules in baseball...

It was the worst one for years until the "three-batter minimum" rule for pitchers this year and the starting a runner on second base in extra-innings...

Hopefully if the season returns to normal next year, the DH in the NL and the ghost runner rule will be history and only a one year event...

• Like 2

Can’t believe people are arguing Backdoor Slider. He’s 100% right and it’s fairly obvious. More fanbases being engaged in playoff chases is good for the sport. Sucks for Yankees and Dodgers fans but screw them anyway.

I think baseball playoffs will be like the NHL playoffs where anything can truly happen. Isn’t playoff hockey considered awesome by most? The NBA is the sport that should reduce playoff spots because the first round is pointless. Expanded playoff Baseball will be great.

10 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Wow, what an absolutely ridiculous take. You are really on a roll.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jsch08 said:

Can’t believe people are arguing Backdoor Slider. He’s 100% right and it’s fairly obvious. More fanbases being engaged in playoff chases is good for the sport. Sucks for Yankees and Dodgers fans but screw them anyway.

I think baseball playoffs will be like the NHL playoffs where anything can truly happen. Isn’t playoff hockey considered awesome by most? The NBA is the sport that should reduce playoff spots because the first round is pointless. Expanded playoff Baseball will be great.

Get back to me when we start seeing 75 win teams make deep postseason runs on a regular basis. That'll just be lovely.

The whole damn point of the 162 game season is to reward the teams that have proved good enough to play a second, mini-season to crown a champion. If you're going to have half the league make the playoffs, then just cut the season to 80 games. If you're gonna ruin baseball, go all the way with it!

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, sleepysock said:

Get back to me when we start seeing 75 win teams make deep postseason runs on a regular basis. That'll just be lovely.

The whole damn point of the 162 game season is to reward the teams that have proved good enough to play a second, mini-season to crown a champion. If you're going to have half the league make the playoffs, then just cut the season to 80 games. If you're gonna ruin baseball, go all the way with it!

Why do a “mini-season” to crown a champ if the 162 means so much and proves who the best team is? Way more than a 7 game series. Why won’t anyone answer my question? Why not just do roto style then and name the champ at the end of 162? That way the best team always wins!

34 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Why do a “mini-season” to crown a champ if the 162 means so much and proves who the best team is? Way more than a 7 game series. Why won’t anyone answer my question? Why not just do roto style then and name the champ at the end of 162? That way the best team always wins!

People aren't answering this question bc it's so ridiculous. Not trying to be mean -- that's just the truth. If you don't get why there is a postseason in sports, then people aren't going to engage with you.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, sleepysock said:

Don’t kid yourself. The point of 162 instead of 80 is because 162 means more $$$$$.

If a 75 win team makes a deep playoff run I’d be happy for them and their fanbase, especially if they take out the Dodgers along the way. I find a 75 win team winning it all more interesting than when the Cubs or Astros won it all after choosing to suck so they could better their chances for the old playoff format.

• Like 1