NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jeff Wilson Jr. 2020 Outlook

3 hours ago, Cardiak said:

If Wilson is so decent, why doesn't he get much action?

Until this point, there was too much in front of him.  If he has a good showing, he can work his way of Coleman imo, who's become kind of irrelevant. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, coleworld7 said:

Coleman just got put on IR so getting real tempted to snag him off the wire.. not sure if i would drop dion lewis for him yet though (who was also sitting on the wire)

That's a no brainier to me in that you should go after McKinnon first.   Giants signed Freeman who should be the third down back at the least.   I'd rather have a season long 3rd down back (with some early down work) on the 49's.   As opposed to someone who's going to be part of a RBBC on a very bad team.

• Like 1
Just now, K197040 said:

That's a no brainier to me in that you should go after McKinnon first.   Giants signed Freeman who should be the third down back at the least.   I'd rather have a season long 3rd down back (with some early down work) on the 49's.   As opposed to someone who's going to be part of a RBBC on a very bad team.

McKinnon was already rostered (previously dropped by me for Parris campbell lol..) so just looking up upside to round out my roster

• Like 1
Just now, coleworld7 said:

McKinnon was already rostered (previously dropped by me for Parris campbell lol..) so just looking up upside to round out my roster

Sorry...misread your post.   That's a close one between Coleman and Lewis.   I'd probably go Lewis.

Just now, K197040 said:

Sorry...misread your post.   That's a close one between Coleman and Lewis.   I'd probably go Lewis.

oh sorry i dont think my original post was clear lol. was saying Wilson is now pretty enticing to pick up with Coleman on IR now. Debating between wilson or lewis for more upside rOS

1 minute ago, coleworld7 said:

oh sorry i dont think my original post was clear lol. was saying Wilson is now pretty enticing to pick up with Coleman on IR now. Debating between wilson or lewis for more upside rOS

Ah...sometimes I forget what thread I'm in.   In that case, I'd take McKinnon.

2 minutes ago, coleworld7 said:

But for real....I think I'd go with Wilson on the better offense.  

People remember IR is no longer season ending, it’s 3+ weeks. Obviously could be season over. I think we’re going to see this a lot in season 2020🥺

• Like 1

You're not getting Wilson in hopes he goes off for 100 rushing yards.

You're getting Wilson for his TD potential. He will be the de-facto goal line back and power rusher.

During his 5-game stretch last season, he scored TDs in 5 games.

McKinnon in no-way will be given a "full workload" or be a "3-down" back.

I'd say Wilson's floor this week is this: 8 carries, 40 rushing yards, 1 TD

Id also say Wilson's upside could be: 12-15 carries, 60-70 rushing yards, 2 TD. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
58 minutes ago, coleworld7 said:

possible to grab both and hedge your bets?

8 hours ago, CORTEz said:

You're not getting Wilson in hopes he goes off for 100 rushing yards.

You're getting Wilson for his TD potential. He will be the de-facto goal line back and power rusher.

During his 5-game stretch last season, he scored TDs in 5 games.

McKinnon in no-way will be given a "full workload" or be a "3-down" back.

I'd say Wilson's floor this week is this: 8 carries, 40 rushing yards, 1 TD

Id also say Wilson's upside could be: 12-15 carries, 60-70 rushing yards, 2 TD. 

No ones floor is a TD/game.  His floor might be 8/40 but the TD can’t be assumed...

Edited by herschel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reminder:

San Francisco 49ers[edit]

2018 season[edit]

On March 14, 2018, McKinnon signed a four-year, $30 million contract with the San Francisco 49ers.[61][62]

On September 1, 2018, McKinnon tore his ACL during a team workout, prematurely ending his season. He was placed on injured reserve two days later.[63][64]

2019 season[edit]

McKinnon suffered a setback from his knee surgery during training camp and was placed on season-ending injured reserve on August 31, 2019.[65] Without McKinnon, the 49ers reached Super Bowl LIV, but lost 31-20 to the Kansas City Chiefs.

2020 season[edit]

McKinnon made his return to the NFL in Week 1 of the 2020 season against the Arizona Cardinals. He had three carries for 24 rushing yards to go along with three receptions for 20 receiving yards and one receiving touchdown in the 24–20 loss.[66] During Week 2 against the New York Jets, McKinnon had a 55-yard run on a 3-and-31 situation.[67] Overall, he finished the game with 3 attempts for 77 rushing yards (25.7 yards per carry) and a touchdown as the 49ers won 31–13.[68]

• Like 1

This time last year, Matt Brieda was "the guy" to own in SF, then Wilson stole all the TDs for a while.  History repeats itself.  Check out this article below from 2019:  Mr. Touchdown: 49ers’ Jeff Wilson among NFL leaders.  Replace "Brieda with "McKinnon" for a glimpse into the future.  Starting Wilson as flex.  8 carries, 30 yards 2 TDs.

Matt Breida’s fantasy owners are calling Jeff Wilson a touchdown vulture.

But the 49ers have another title for him: effective goal-line running back.

Nine days after he was promoted from the practice squad, Wilson is tied for second in the NFL in rushing touchdowns with four scores in two games. His TDs have come on runs of 2, 4, 1 and 4 yards. He had two scores on Sunday in a 24-20 win over the Steelers.

Wilson, 6-foot and 213 pounds, is unique in a running backs corps that’s known for its speed.

“Jeff has brought an attitude to his game,” fullback Kyle Juszczyk said. “We joke that he shoulder punches defenders when they try to tackle him. And that’s something you need around the goal line. Things are tighter. A lot of times it’s just one-on-one. Who’s going to win that battle? And he’s a guy we can trust to do that.”

Wilson, who has 52 yards on 18 carries, has a fairly specialized role. However, that could expand given Raheem Mostert’s ball-security issues. In the first half Sunday, Mostert lost a fumble at the Steelers’ 10-yard line and muffed a pitch on a sweep that resulted in an 18-yard loss.

Mostert, who has lost four fumbles on 85 career touches, began ceding snaps to Wilson after his fumble Sunday. Breida played 32 snaps, Mostert had 24 and Wilson logged 21.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/Mr-Touchdown-49ers-Jeff-Wilson-among-NFL-14461771.php

• Thanks 1
  • Sun Tzu changed the title to Jeff Wilson Jr. 2020 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic