NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jeff Wilson Jr. 2020 Outlook

Lucky I was able to get him with my remaining faab as a Mostert owner. I think best case scenario (if you have both) is that Mostert sits and Wilson is able to get 15 carries.

If both play, I still kinda think Wilson would be the play of the two. A lot of risk of reaggravating and missing a big portion of the game with injury. Wilson also has some risk, as he's had just 2 good games all year (and one of them he was 12 for 15 yards on the ground), but I think he has a better shot at finishing the game. Game script should also be good, I wouldn't expect Dallas to have a huge lead at any point. 

Practice report today is important. If Mostert is DNP most or all of this week I'll feel a lot better about Wilson. If the MRI shows nothing new and Moster practices all week I'm not sure what the move is.

Edited by bangarrang
  • Like 1
  • Replies 449
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

If Mostert is out where would Wilson fall in the RB rankings this week? Definite top 15? Top 10 maybe?

I have Wilson and debating what to do with him.  [...]

If I knew for sure that Wilson would play 80% of the snaps or something, I'd probably be all in on him.  But that 49ers running game is just so all over the board.  For all we know, Coleman and McKinnon could both come out and see a good number of snaps this week with Wilson still getting his normal 8-10 carries and needing TD's for a solid fantasy game.

I think Wilson is a good start if you're in a pinch but I'm not sure I'm playing him over more "proven" guys that you feel good about getting 15 touches.

If Mostert is literally out and does not play; Wilson would likely slot in around RB15-18ish around Dobbins, Drake and Swift. Shanahan is allergic to McKinnon for some reason, so I suspect he'd be spelled mostly by Coleman.

I also somehow got him with limited remaining FAAB as a Mostert owner, and I will likely flex him if Mostert is out over Hunt and Robby Anderson.

Edited by LongBalls
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, LongBalls said:

If Mostert is literally out and does not play; Wilson would likely slot in around RB15-18ish around Dobbins, Drake and Swift. Shanahan is allergic to McKinnon for some reason, so I suspect he'd be spelled mostly by Coleman.

I'd have him higher than that if Mostert is out. I know no back has hit 20 carries in a game for them but he could come close against Dallas if they control the game. As with everything in fantasy, definitely still potential to go sideways but I'd like him better than those options you listed

50 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

If Mostert is out where would Wilson fall in the RB rankings this week? Definite top 15? Top 10 maybe?

Must start imo. I have Swift and Drake would not even think about starting one of them over Wilson.

3 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I'd have him higher than that if Mostert is out. I know no back has hit 20 carries in a game for them but he could come close against Dallas if they control the game. As with everything in fantasy, definitely still potential to go sideways but I'd like him better than those options you listed

I'd have a hard time putting him ahead of guys like Jacobs, Sanders, Montgomery and Akers; but I could see it. I think he could fall right at the beginning of the next tier, though, which is mostly committee backfields.

Edited by LongBalls

I was able to get him mainly to keep my opponent from getting him. I have some pretty good RBs that are ranked inside the top 10 and there is no way I am considering playing Wilson over those guys. I could see playing him over Miles Sanders just because the Eagles are trash, but I would temper the expectations on calling him "elite". He is a very solid play, I personally feel his floor is much lower then a lot of others seem to think. His ceiling is high though. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, MingusDew said:

It's important that the last time he was the de facto starter he performed big time. There is some limited track record here.

Regardless we're all probably jumping the gun a bit right now. Need to get more info re: Mostert.

when he scored 3 times?  i think he also got hurt and left that game before the 4 qtr.

7 minutes ago, Fried Pork Grind said:

I was able to get him mainly to keep my opponent from getting him. I have some pretty good RBs that are ranked inside the top 10 and there is no way I am considering playing Wilson over those guys. I could see playing him over Miles Sanders just because the Eagles are trash, but I would temper the expectations on calling him "elite". He is a very solid play, I personally feel his floor is much lower then a lot of others seem to think. His ceiling is high though. 

This year outside of a handful of great options every RB has an ugly floor. You almost have to just ignore it and go for the upside. But I agree Wilson will not vault into this 'handful of great options' tier 

9 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

If Mostert is out and you start him beware of the Shanahanigans. Just saying.

It’s the worst run defense in the NFL against a team that loves to run and a coach that’s damn good at scheming it.

Even if their is some weird RBBC Wilson is still a good start. He’s not even a bad start with Mostert playing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, tts42572 said:

I have Wilson and debating what to do with him.  [...]

If I knew for sure that Wilson would play 80% of the snaps or something, I'd probably be all in on him.  But that 49ers running game is just so all over the board.  For all we know, Coleman and McKinnon could both come out and see a good number of snaps this week with Wilson still getting his normal 8-10 carries and needing TD's for a solid fantasy game.

I think Wilson is a good start if you're in a pinch but I'm not sure I'm playing him over more "proven" guys that you feel good about getting 15 touches.

can't play the "what if" game, you'll go around in circles all day and never make a decision. 

9 minutes ago, fantasymad said:

If Mostert is out and you start him beware of the Shanahanigans. Just saying.

if Mostert is out, Wilson is the high ceiling play.  if you think you need more than the floor of what your RB corps can provide you roll the dice with Wilson.  either way you're going to be behind the 8ball so you might as well take your best shot and not be afraid he puts up a dude.  losing by 1 or 100 is still losing.  go down swinging.  now if you don't need the high ceiling play then sit him and take the projected for sure points from someone else

Just now, Gohawks said:

It’s the worst run defense in the NFL against a team that loves to run and a coach that’s damn good at scheming it.

Even if their is some weird RBBC Wilson is still a good start. He’s not even a bad start with Mostert playing.

^ This. As long as he gets double digit carries, he will produce against this Dallas defense. I don't see a scenario where he doesn't get that many touches, regardless of what other RBs are active. With Mostert playing, I'd still rank Wilson as a top 25 RB...but if Mostert is out I would put him easily in the top 15.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, GoPackGo23 said:

^ This. As long as he gets double digit carries, he will produce against this Dallas defense. I don't see a scenario where he doesn't get that many touches, regardless of what other RBs are active. With Mostert playing, I'd still rank Wilson as a top 25 RB...but if Mostert is out I would put him easily in the top 15.

Agreed.... Top 15 is not "elite" as others mentioned. 

I got him off waivers, but I have a hard time trusting RBs getting extra touches because of injuries to the guy in front of them (Mattison, Booker, etc.) May end up starting him, but I'm wary of getting too excited.