NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Which WR4 for my keeper league? Laviska, Claypool, Wiggins. All of them?! WHIR

Trifecta

I’m not deep at WR, so I realistically could end up needing to start one of these guys as soon as bye weeks, especially considering my WR3 is Will Fuller.  I may need to hold two or even all three of these guys, but I’m not sure who I would cut.

This is a 12 team auction keeper league.  Draft budget is $200 each year.  We can keep as many players as we want for as long as we want, the only limit is budget (we have to be able to fill our roster on draft day).  Each year, a player’s price to keep increases by $5.  It’s a good strategy in this league to have the end of the bench guys be high upside lottery ticket types, low potential keeper cost.  

My team, next year’s keeper cost:

Dak $12

Zeke $88, CMC $51, Kareem Hunt $11, Gibson $13, Moss $13, Pollard $8, Mattison $7

Godwin $14, Diontae Johnson $14, Will Fuller $11, Laviska $4

Waller $11, Andrews $7

Kicker (stream): Crosby

D/ST: Niners, Rams

As you can see, I’m spending most of my roster space on RBs.  My WRs represent excellent potential keeper value, I think Godwin and Diontae will be by WR1 and 2 for years to come at their current price.  I can’t say the same for Will Fuller unless he can stay healthy this entire year and actually produce.  Laviska is electric, but I’m not sure how much i believe in the Jaguars to provide fantasy value consistently, as last night frustratingly proved in a prime time dud.

Should I cut Laviska for Claypool or Higgins?

Claypool would be $6 to keep next year.  He doubles as a handcuff of sorts to Diontae.  If Diontae ever has to miss time, Claypool would be a much more comfortable start.  He is a physical freak and I’m tempted to invest more heavily in this passing game.

Higgins would be $6 to keep as well.  He looks like he has moved into 3 wide sets and clearly the bengals are not afraid to air it out.  If AJG goes down, his value would sky rocket.

Should I keep Laviska and add one of the two by dropping one of my defenses?  I’m a little nervous about cutting either, they both have solid talent (even though the niners have been devastated by injuries, they are still a strong unit, especially when Sherman returns).  I plan on starting them this week.  The Rams have a great upcoming schedule, would be a top pickup next week, so i don’t like the idea of dropping them right now.

What moves would you make?

Edited by Trifecta

The point I’d make on both Johnson and Claypool is you have to weigh this against Ben’s effectiveness. They’ve probably got 2-3 more years max before Ben calls it. But agree that Claypool looks solid until then

I personally would drop the Rams D to pick up Claypool for this season, but might try to get Higgins later on in the season and actually keep him. Think Higgins has the better long-term upside with Burrow throwing to him but Claypool is the better player this year 

1 hour ago, mqzhu14 said:

The point I’d make on both Johnson and Claypool is you have to weigh this against Ben’s effectiveness. They’ve probably got 2-3 more years max before Ben calls it. But agree that Claypool looks solid until then

I personally would drop the Rams D to pick up Claypool for this season, but might try to get Higgins later on in the season and actually keep him. Think Higgins has the better long-term upside with Burrow throwing to him but Claypool is the better player this year 

I could drop Rams D for Claypool and drop Crosby for Higgins. Watch the noon games and then drop one of the 3 WRs (or someone on my bench that suffers an injury during the early window games if such a thing happens) for a kicker for one of the remaining games. I have enough moves left to do this.  It would definitely downgrade my kicker for this weekend, but there are plenty of decent kicker plays for the afternoon games.

Another point: any wr I wait on will go up in keeper price as the season goes on, in increments of $2 per week if it's a free agent pickup. Or let's say Higgins blows up this weekend, if he ends up being scooped up on waivers, the keeper price jumps to 15 for next year. So it pays to scoop Claypool and/or Higgins as free agents now rather than wait for a later in the season free agent add or to have to plunk some FAAB down to scoop one.

I've considered cutting bait on Zack Moss due to this mysterious toe injury that popped up out of nowhere. I actually did in my redraft league but this keeper league obviously offers a much different dynamic for holding long term.

I've considered dropping Mattison as well considering the Vikings suck and his keeper potential is low considering Cook signed that extension prior to week 1. Right now he's purely someone else's handcuff for this year with little to no chance I keep.  Pollard as at least MY handcuff, so he's a must stash for the full season.

In summary, I could go ahead and add both Claypool and Higgins by dropping my extra defense and kicker, then drop someone at the end of the noon game window to replace my kicker.

Edited by Trifecta

I like the potential of Claypool and Higgins, Claypool having more standing in his way in Juju and Diontae. But theyre both huge targets and have QBs that can spread the ball around. Id probably do what you plan and mentioned above to grab them before their price rises up, while they're still a decent bargain for your keeper. 

1 hour ago, tonywow said:

I like the potential of Claypool and Higgins, Claypool having more standing in his way in Juju and Diontae. But theyre both huge targets and have QBs that can spread the ball around. Id probably do what you plan and mentioned above to grab them before their price rises up, while they're still a decent bargain for your keeper. 

Your thread gave me another option I hadn't considered yet: Antonio Brown. $6 Antonio Brown next year sounds pretty nice.

2 hours ago, Trifecta said:

Your thread gave me another option I hadn't considered yet: Antonio Brown. $6 Antonio Brown next year sounds pretty nice.

Heh yeah AB for $6 is definitely worth a gamble IMO, could be a darn steal. Of course we'll see what happens if/when he gets on a field this season, but I'd be very tempted to grab him in keeper at that price and hope you get some top end production for a couple more years and a cheap price. 

1 hour ago, tonywow said:

Heh yeah AB for $6 is definitely worth a gamble IMO, could be a darn steal. Of course we'll see what happens if/when he gets on a field this season, but I'd be very tempted to grab him in keeper at that price and hope you get some top end production for a couple more years and a cheap price. 

I may grab the rookies first and drop one of them for him before he locks after Monday night football if either of them don’t really take a measurable step forward.

I just dropped Rams D for Claypool first.  I think he was the most likely to get scooped up because of his point total and actually had already been owned and dropped once, so I know at least that owner is watching him. Plus, Juju is an unrestricted free agent after this season and it’s widely believed he will not be signed to a new deal with Pittsburg, part of the reason why they drafted Claypool.  I really like the kid so I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss out there.

The problem I face now is who to drop for Higgins.  I may not gamble on the kicker drop, there are 5 kickers I could choose from that are free agents not playing at noon, so playing the wait and see game might be risky: Succop and McManus, Badgley and Slye.  If my opponent notices me drop Crosby he might do something like grab 2 or 3 of those. 

Do I drop Laviska for Higgins maybe?  Mattison?  Losing confidence in the Minnesota offense not sure how much of a slam dunk he would be if Cook went down.

Edited by Trifecta