NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jalen Hurts 2020 Outlook

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hurts is brining home fantasy championships today. 4 total TDs in a 35 point masterpiece coming up 

Vance Joseph will spend 30 seconds preparing for Wentz - "sack him, fellas ... if not, we'll just pick him off" /fin

Posted Images

I would not bench Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes, Murray, Tannehill, or Watson for Hurts.

Russell Wilson is a push imo.

Big Ben, Phillip, Brees, Stafford, Ryan, Lock, those types?  Yeah.

2 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I would not bench Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes, Murray, Tannehill, or Watson for Hurts.

Russell Wilson is a push imo.

Big Ben, Phillip, Brees, Stafford, Ryan, Lock, those types?  Yeah.

I'm with you on most of those. Watson's matchup gives me pause. At first I thought Cincy was a no-brainer start, but they have been pretty stingy to QBs here lately - no QB has broken 20 fantasy points since week 10. I think Watson and Hurts have a similar floor this week. Hurts is a better shot for more rushing yards and an overall higher ceiling.

• Thanks 1

a week ago very few seriously considered starting hurts even after his first start in week 14 from a fantasy persepective was good w/a lot of positives shown.... now after an elite game week 15 where he had a perfect gamescript people are talking about benching elite QB's like lamar, josh allen, kyler etc. to start hurts... i think it's nuts. i expect hurts to have a decent game but don't chase last weeks box score and think another 30+ is going to happen for sure. 

Edited by iamkoza

3 weeks ago I picked up Hurts to protect for a J Allen injury but also to see how he performs. I never liked the Bills/ Pats matchup! Even without Gilmore the Pats can still limit the passing attack. J Allen could kill it but I am taking my chances with Hurt’s upside against an easy matchup. GL but I am comfortable with my decision. If it backfires so be it🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

FantasyPros...which has a lot of garbage...but this isn't. The "primer" is always a good read.

On Hurts:

Jalen Hurts

: We knew that Hurts came with a solid floor last week, but no one expected him to throw for 338 yards and three touchdowns and finish as the No. 1 quarterback on the week with 37.8 fantasy points. It’s important to note that he did complete just 54.5 percent of his passes and that volume (44 pass attempts) helped carry him to those totals, but the Eagles have been pass-heavy all year long, so why would that change now? Sure, they’re taking advantage of Hurts’ mobility, as he’s rushed 29 times over the last two weeks for 169 yards and a touchdown, but the pass attempts didn’t suffer with the high play count last week. One thing that bodes well for all players involved in this game is that both the Cowboys (1st) and Eagles (5th) rank top-five in total plays per game, so the volume should be there again. Teams have thrown the ball on just 51.2 percent of plays against the Cowboys, which is the lowest number in the NFL, and it’s led to just 31.9 pass attempts per game. That hasn’t stopped teams from throwing a touchdown on 6.6 percent of attempts, which has amounted to 30 passing touchdowns through 14 games, both of which rank second to only the Jaguars. From an efficiency standpoint, the Cowboys have allowed the third-most fantasy points per actual pass attempt (no rushing). They’ve also allowed a massive 30.9 points per game in general, which ranks as the second-most behind only the Lions. The 280 rushing yards they’ve allowed to quarterbacks ranks as the 13th-most in the league, but that number can vary depending on which quarterbacks a team has played. It should make you feel even better knowing that when they’ve played against mobile quarterbacks, they’ve allowed big production, as Kyler Murray  rushed for 74 yards and a touchdown, while Lamar Jackson rushed for 94 yards and a touchdown. There are only a couple of quarterbacks who should be started over Hurts this week, as he offers a rock-solid floor and obviously a high ceiling against a team that’s allowed six different quarterbacks to score 25-plus fantasy points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This prolly will be my riskiest decision in my fantasy football history but I’m likely going to start him over Herbert and Brady. Although those two offer steadier production I just think the matchup and what hurts brings to the table are too much to pass up. Reminds me of tyrod about 4 years ago on the bills where his rushing and passing volume took me over the top 

11 minutes ago, coleworld7 said:

This prolly will be my riskiest decision in my fantasy football history but I’m likely going to start him over Herbert and Brady. Although those two offer steadier production I just think the matchup and what hurts brings to the table are too much to pass up. Reminds me of tyrod about 4 years ago on the bills where his rushing and passing volume took me over the top 

Don't see how that's risky as most are ranking him above those two guys. 

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Theoneupper said:

Don't see how that's risky as most are ranking him above those two guys. 

The sample size is a bit small for my liking whereas you know what you’re getting wit Brady or herb. Either way rankings or not I do think the upside is too good to pass one 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, coleworld7 said:

The sample size is a bit small for my liking whereas you know what you’re getting wit Brady or herb. Either way rankings or not I do think the upside is too good to pass one 

I see what youre saying, but I think hell be fine for one more game if youre in the chip. The floor and upside is there imo. 

Herbert's WR are banged up and no Hunter Henry.

Tampa is likely to get out to a big lead and ride the running game against coach-less Detroit.

Hurts v. Dallas all the way!

Edited by SharkSwimmer

Koerner has him and Mahomes as the only tier-1 QBs of the week; I think I’m pretty close to believing that too (would probably still play with 1-2 guys like Rodgers over him still).

Pretty sweet for folks that happen to have both guys in 2-QB / Superflex leagues!

• Like 1
17 hours ago, coleworld7 said:

Don't feel like it's risky. I'm also benching Herbert for Hurts.

K. Allen looks out and H. Henry is out as well. Could lead to some offensive inefficiency. I think he's still a safe bet for 20 points, but the ceiling may be limited.

I need ceiling as an underdog and Hurts brings "rush for 2 TDs, throw for 2 TD, rush for a ton" upside.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Eaglesflyhigh11 said:

I'm going Hurts in two chips over Big Ben and Brees (Lost Dak 4 Season).

My choices are easier sits then some of you. 

Starting Hurts over Brees myself.  It just seems wrong since I've been holding Brees this entire time.

The only guys I would start above Hurts would be Mahomes, Kyler, Rodgers, and Lamar.

Hurts has been on fire, yes, but let's remember that these four above are complete fantasy studs.

Don't get cute in ship week when all the marbles are on the table.

[...] 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only guys I would start above Hurts would be Mahomes, Kyler, Rodgers, and Lamar.

I just can't bring myself to start a rookie over Russell in the final week.  Can't do it lol

Edited by cloudee
42 minutes ago, bakes781 said:

[...] I'm seriously starting Hurts over Mahomes.

I get that.  But Mahomes has serious upside too, no?  He could put up a 400 yard, 5 TD game.

I can't do it.  Hurts will get some on the ground.  But if I'm going to lose my ship, I'll do it with my captain at the helm and no regrets.  Hurts could fall flat on his face, get benched and the whiny red beard comes back, and then you'll have whole offseason to wonder what made you think starting Hurts over Mahomes (or Kyler, Rodgers, or Lamar...) was a good idea.