NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jalen Hurts 2020 Outlook

17 minutes ago, Theoneupper said:

No one should ever expect a 30-40 burger. That is just flat out ridiculous. 

For sure.  But he put up 43 points against what was supposed to be a good Arizona D, and Dallas D was even worse.  So it wasn't unreasonable to have high expectations.  People that started him were putting him in over some pretty big names.  Imagine if you played him over Tom Brady, which I think many here would have said to do, including myself.  Ouch.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hurts is brining home fantasy championships today. 4 total TDs in a 35 point masterpiece coming up 

Vance Joseph will spend 30 seconds preparing for Wentz - "sack him, fellas ... if not, we'll just pick him off" /fin

Posted Images

I'm disappointed and have some egg on my face as I started him over Watson. But the fact is he likely is not the reason anyone who started him lost. He got over 18 (18.3) with my settings. Yes that is a Mayfield-esque number but it shouldn't kill you. I would have loved to get the 12 additional points Watson got - I'm sure many who lost by 11 would agree - but I have had QBs score in the single digits several times. This was a poor performance but not a disaster.

Of course there is no way I'd fail to mention the ridiculous fumble call EVEN WITH A REPLAY SHOWING CLEARLY NO FUMBLE. That doesn't happen he finishes 0.5 short of his original Y! projection. 

Edited by SuperJoint

At least he didn't crap the bed, he did as well as Kyle Murray, he probably didn't win your game but he didn't lose it either.  I can see Murray like numbers but I think Murray was hurt the last few games and I see him and Hurts both going the way as RGIII, there's some big guys chasing them and they are going to get caught once in a while.  I hope Im wrong.

I wouldn't have started him over guys like mahomes or wilson--names that were getting thrown around, but i think the logic was that there was potential for massive upside in a dome against one of the league's worst defenses.

I know it was only 2 points, but hurts really got hosed on the fumble loss call.  His knee was clearly down before the fumble occurred, but whatever.

1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

I wouldn't have started him over guys like mahomes or wilson--names that were getting thrown around, but i think the logic was that there was potential for massive upside in a dome against one of the league's worst defenses.

I know it was only 2 points, but hurts really got hosed on the fumble loss call.  His knee was clearly down before the fumble occurred, but whatever.

Also pinky toe was out on that TD run on the first drive. That would have help a bunch of people out. 

On 12/29/2020 at 1:17 AM, Pooskay said:

What idiot would start Hurts over Mahomes anyway?

Well if he was your back up and nothing else on waivers you start him especially because Mahomes was inactive.

On 12/22/2020 at 12:09 PM, BrooklynGarbageMen said:

I'll repeat it for him...in what world is that Garbage time...Garbage Time means a lost game, my man, either up by so much or down by so much DEEP INTO THE 4TH QUARTER that what happens does not matter to the outcome...lots of running, often by backups when up, and lots of passing when down in that situation...down big early they call that hurry up/catch up, not garbage time...and the other teams defense still has a job to do...the man showed he belongs, don't try and fit real life into a narrative where this wasn't impressive, adapt to the reality.

Have you adapted to reality yet?

On 12/7/2020 at 8:05 PM, FavreCo said:

Drop back, look at primary, take off running. Never ends well.

This is the NFL, not college. Guys are not running wide open all day long.

Like I said.

5 hours ago, coleporter said:

Well if he was your back up and nothing else on waivers you start him especially because Mahomes was inactive.

Based on the original quote on 12/28, I'm assuming he was discussing somebody who chose to start Hurts over Mahomes in Week 16.  He wasn't referring to yesterday.

Really disappointed from last night's showing.  Shenanigans with Pederson and throwing the game aside, when he did play, he didn't look great.  Sure, he had two TD runs.  But he missed really poorly on a wide open guy on 4th down in the end zone - I believe his last play before they took him out of the game.  He is athletic and can run.  But he's one of these QBs who tries to make up for deficiencies throwing by running all the time.  That's not going to lead to long term success.  Will have to look at those other games where he had over 300 yards to get more of an idea if he can be a good passer.

What stinks is this is the last we will see of him until next season.  Lots of questions.  Will they be this dreaded 2 QB system?  Will Wentz be back?  From a fantasy perspective, would we be comfortable with him as our QB1?  Right now, I'm not so sure.  Would he be a good keeper pick?  I guess we'll have to see how the offseason goes and how he looks in preseason.  I'm not as excited about him now as I once was.

Hopefully the Eagles’ end-of-season shenanigans ends up depressing his value next year. He’s far from a slam dunk but he’ll offer unparalleled upside at the range he’s going to be drafted in. I’d be happy to take a shot if I’m waiting on QB. 

• Like 1

Can't help it - he reminds me so much of Vick. If he hadn't been taken out with nearly a full Q to go he could have made a difference for those who started him (and needless to say the Giants heh heh).

I don't see how the Eagles don't view Hurts as their #1 QB going into preseason. There's always the possibility he gets traded - Lincoln Riley might do something that crazy if he got a job.

Wentz is as good as gone and Sudfeld is not the answer so without a major FA addition or draft pick Hurts is the guy next year.

Like Vick - simply by osmosis he is at least a low-tier QB1. If he can shore up his accuracy issues - watch out. He can air it out - just like Vick imo.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...