NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rashaad Penny 2020 Outlook

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Former 2018 1st round pick recovering from 2019 ACL and meniscus surgery. In weeks 12 and 13 last year, he totaled 33 touches (4 catches) for 236 yards and 3 TDs, before going down on the opening driv

Sounds hopeful. Don't think he'd make a tweet like this if he wasn't attempting to play this season. The deadline for him to be able to play this season is next week; he will have to log a limited pra

https://www.rotowire.com/football/player.php?id=12830

"Carroll has been ambivalent about Penny's condition all season, consistently praising the running back's recovery but falling short of providing a clear timeline to return. Time is running out, though, as Penny will need to return to practice by Week 11. Otherwise, he'll be required to stay on the PUP list for the rest of the season."

1 hour ago, Fantasy_Degenerate said:

Yeah I get the feeling signing Alex Collins means Penny isn't looking great to come back. What do you guys think?

My exact thoughts as well. Oh well, no big loss here. He was taking up an IR spot I wasn’t currently using. Will cut bait if he doesn’t practice by the deadline. Or sooner if I need the IR spot. 

Here's the language of the new PUP list rules for this year . . .. .

Commencing on the day after the conclusion of the sixth regular season weekend  and continuing through the day after the conclusion of the 11th regular season weekend, clubs are permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform for a period not to exceed 21 calendar day.

and this was in the news about an hour ago . . .

The long, awaited paths Rashaad Penny and Darrell Taylor have been grinding through to make their season debut may be ending.

Maybe.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Wednesday Penny, the team’s second running back behind Chris Carson until he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee in December, and Taylor, Seattle’s top rookie pass rusher and second-round draft choice, are perhaps a week or two away from getting on the practice field.

• Like 1

Today, Pete Carroll said Rashaad Penny and Darrell Taylor are "on the verge" of returning. He also said "so we're a week away, or two weeks away, probably, from something happening here with these guys." 

My understanding from the posts above, is there is some confusion on when Penny needs to return, whether it's before this weeks game or what.

I was unable to find the rule on NFL dot com. The only thing I could find is from wikipedia (though it's cited poorly), which states "Such players must sit out the first six weeks of the regular season. At that point, teams have a five-week window in which to allow the player to begin practicing; from the day the player begins practicing, teams have an additional 21-day window in which to decide whether to activate the player to the 53-man roster."

The NFL's Week 6 ended 10/19, so I assume the "five-week window" for Penny ends on 11/23 (this coming Monday).

Pete's quote is as vague as ever, but it seems to me they want to use as much of the following 21-day window as possible. By not practicing him until Monday, they can keep him off the activate roster when they face the Jets in week 14.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, rocklandrew said:

Here's the language of the new PUP list rules for this year . . .. .

Commencing on the day after the conclusion of the sixth regular season weekend  and continuing through the day after the conclusion of the 11th regular season weekend, clubs are permitted to begin practicing players on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform for a period not to exceed 21 calendar day.

and this was in the news about an hour ago . . .

The long, awaited paths Rashaad Penny and Darrell Taylor have been grinding through to make their season debut may be ending.

Maybe.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Wednesday Penny, the team’s second running back behind Chris Carson until he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his knee in December, and Taylor, Seattle’s top rookie pass rusher and second-round draft choice, are perhaps a week or two away from getting on the practice field.

Beat me to it

Only way he's a stash IMO is if you're a playoff lock and would be dropping like your WR4/5 that you'd never start. I think it's unlikely he's fantasy relevant this year, but he does have significant upside in this offense. 

Question really is how far down the RB chart would you go to pick him up. I think you'd have to put him below pretty much every conceivable handcuff right now strictly due to availability. 

Edited by BGDDYKWL
  • 3 weeks later...

He still hasn't even practiced yet right? No way this guy plays this year. Pete has been saying "next week he practices" since week 1 now. The only scenario I see him coming back in is if Carson goes down again and they start a desperation push to get Penny playoff ready.

Edited by harck
8 minutes ago, harck said:

He still hasn't even practiced yet right? No way this guy plays this year. Pete has been saying "next week he practices" since week 1 now. The only scenario I see him coming back in is if Carson goes down again and they start a desperation push to get Penny playoff ready.

He practiced yesterday. They have 21 days to activate him off IR now.

On 11/19/2020 at 7:52 AM, rocklandrew said:

Kudos for how you managed to break the page with that link ;)

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Haha 1