NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Rashaad Penny 2020 Outlook

MrCantaloupe

1 hour ago, The G Man said:

When I saw the thread on the first page I was hoping there was a practice update. 

Anyone close to the team have any new info/updates? 

Check the comment just above:

On 12/11/2020 at 3:46 AM, MJJ28 said:

He practiced yesterday. They have 21 days to activate him off IR now.

• Thanks 1

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Rashaad Penny (knee) is close to returning from IR.

“He exceeded our expectations with his movement and quickness and all of that,” Carroll said. “He’s really in good shape. I don’t know what that means for next week, but he looked as healthy as anybody out there." Penny was designated to return this week but wasn't activated. There's a chance he could back as early as Week 15. Over a year removed from knee surgery, Penny will push Carlos Hyde for the No. 2 role behind Chris Carson when he returns.

SOURCE: ESPN
Dec 12, 2020, 9:14 AM ET

11 hours ago, affliction said:

I don’t really see him as more than a change of pace back 

So here's the thing that confused me about these discussions.

The Seahawks mostly play gap in the run (or at least did when I checked that last, which is some time ago). Carson fits that perfectly, Hyde can also do that. Penny however is a zone RB, and preferably outside zone. He doesn't really rush well between the tackles.

To me, DeeJay Dallas is again a gap rusher and would fit perfectly in their system (which is why I took him in a Dynasty format). Penny really doesn't, and in the games where he did well, they mainly went zone against opponents where that fit.

@Gohawks, you're the Seattle guy, does it make any sense what I'm saying or am I way off base here?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

So here's the thing that confused me about these discussions.

The Seahawks mostly play gap in the run (or at least did when I checked that last, which is some time ago). Carson fits that perfectly, Hyde can also do that. Penny however is a zone RB, and preferably outside zone. He doesn't really rush well between the tackles.

To me, DeeJay Dallas is again a gap rusher and would fit perfectly in their system (which is why I took him in a Dynasty format). Penny really doesn't, and in the games where he did well, they mainly went zone against opponents where that fit.

@Gohawks, you're the Seattle guy, does it make any sense what I'm saying or am I way off base here?

If you read my criticism of Penny it’s exactly along these lines. It wasn’t even a talent issue it was a fit issue in the Seattle system. He also didn’t run the way Carroll wants a back to run. Meaning he tried to use finesse while Carroll wants power.

That being said he was starting to get the hang of it before he got injured and Dallas hasn’t looked good and has looked like a JAG to be honest. If Carson leaves I honestly don’t see Dallas as the answer and I don’t know about Penny considering the severity of the injury and issues he had beforehand in terms of style.

Wouldn't be surprised if Seattle addresses the issue in the draft. They have limited draft capital but I can see them taking someone like Javonte Williams. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

If you read my criticism of Penny it’s exactly along these lines. It wasn’t even a talent issue it was a fit issue in the Seattle system. He also didn’t run the way Carroll wants a back to run. Meaning he tried to use finesse while Carroll wants power.

That being said he was starting to get the hang of it before he got injured and Dallas hasn’t looked good and has looked like a JAG to be honest. If Carson leaves I honestly don’t see Dallas as the answer and I don’t know about Penny considering the severity of the injury and issues he had beforehand in terms of style.

Wouldn't be surprised if Seattle addresses the issue in the draft. They have limited draft capital but I can see them taking someone like Javonte Williams. 

also the RB free agency class this offseason is very deep, both in talent and quantity. Maybe they go free agency?

2 minutes ago, yossarian said:

also the RB free agency class this offseason is very deep, both in talent and quantity. Maybe they go free agency?

I’m really not a fan of addressing RB needs in FA.

Almost every time you get someone washed up and past their prime and/or overpay significantly for the value provided. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, yossarian said:

i can see them just resign carson, i don't think he can command a crazy amount of money because of his inability to stay healthy...

Edited by TroutFister

8 minutes ago, TroutFister said:

i can see them just resign carson, i don't think he can command a crazy amount of money because of his inability to stay healthy...

Yeah this is also a possibility. I can see him coming back for like 5-6 a year. There’s always the possibility some terrible franchise offers him like 8-9 though. 

• Like 1