NBC Sports Edge Forums

Giovani Bernard 2020 Outlook

Does anyone know if the Bengals will practice today coming off the bye week? It would be really nice to get a better idea on Mixon's status this week before having to make waiver claims. Gio is likely droppable if you're a non-Mixon owner when Mixon returns.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm adding him for the mustache alone

His name is Giovani. It's a travesty it took him this long to do it

Here are Gio's 4 games with no Mixon:   19.0, 13.3, 19.6, and 25.6.

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, GoPackGo23 said:

Does anyone know if the Bengals will practice today coming off the bye week? It would be really nice to get a better idea on Mixon's status this week before having to make waiver claims. Gio is likely droppable if you're a non-Mixon owner when Mixon returns.

I dropped Gio prior to the bye to deal with other needs. As expected, he's still sitting there.

Tempted to grab him again though. [...]

I'm sure we hear zippo on Mixon today.

3 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

I dropped Gio prior to the bye to deal with other needs. As expected, he's still sitting there.

Tempted to grab him again though. [...]

I'm sure we hear zippo on Mixon today.

25 minutes ago, Jubanton said:

wow guys in your league must be slipping... if you're gonna get him back. No official word on how close Mixon is yet. 

Most of us had to suffer and hold Gio through the bye.

I dropped Gio as well and he was immediately picked up by an RB-starved team in my league.

We'll find out more tomorrow when the Bengals resume practice, but I'd be surprised if Mixon was out again this week.

1 hour ago, Jubanton said:

wow guys in your league must be slipping... if you're gonna get him back. No official word on how close Mixon is yet. 

Most of us had to suffer and hold Gio through the bye.

I think it's more of a matter that teams deal with the week ahead of them and look to fill immediate gaps vs. look ahead and stash.

Simplest thing to do also prior to waivers is to sort by highest projected total...and Gio's on bye was obviously 0. And now it's low with the expectation that Mixon is back.

Would not be surprised if I can get him back.

5 hours ago, Mr_Baller said:

Is it a good sign that Mixon is not IR listed?

Maybe a little, but players who are "day to day" or "week to week" will usually be tagged as Q at the beginning of a new week.  Players can still end up sitting for weeks at a time like this.  We're going to need to wait until later in the week before we can really read any tea leaves.

Yeah I'm facing this on a couple teams - Waivers open too soon for most leagues to risk dropping him imo. I don't have the guts to do it basically - what sucks though is I'd be pretty surprised if Mixon is not back this week. If you're absolutely desperate I can see it but if you can at all afford to hold another couple days you should do so.

A strategy I’ve used before is if you need to make a pickup but want to hold Gio through the waiver run, drop your kicker or defense. Whichever one you can easily replace. If Mixon is back, then drop Gio and pick K/def back up. If Mixon out, then obviously you have some decisions to make. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, CooL said:

A strategy I’ve used before is if you need to make a pickup but want to hold Gio through the waiver run, drop your kicker or defense. Whichever one you can easily replace. If Mixon is back, then drop Gio and pick K/def back up. If Mixon out, then obviously you have some decisions to make. 

Our league did away with Kickers (thank God, fantasy football has enough variance as it is). As far as defenses it was tough for me to drop one, but that was before I knew the patriots D would suck against the Jets lol.

Anyway, tomorrow’s practice will tell us a lot. But Mixon has been out almost a month now with the bye, so I’d be surprised if he doesn’t play this week.

11 hours ago, CooL said:

Exactly what I did. Surprised nobody grabbed Gio in waivers this morning.

If Mixon gets a full practice, Gio will be dumped. If Mixon is out or limited, Gio stays on the roster. Big day for both today.

The report does note that coach Zac Taylor has been encouraged by the running back's progress, with Geoff Hobson of the Bengals' official site suggesting that Mixon could return to action as soon as Sunday against the Steelers. The last time he suited up was in Week 6.

Sounds like they could just be easing Mixon into practice. Not doing team drills today, but it's only Wednesday.

When I dropped Gio, I noticed their first game back after the bye was against the Steelers, so given the brutal matchup, I thought dropping is safe. Obviously given the uncertainty now, if you kept him you're holding. But I don't think those that dropped him should feel too bad. I'd be absolutely shocked if Mixon misses more than just this week.

5 minutes ago, ILuvABGs said:

Is he worth starting against Pittsburgh?

Assuming Mixon is out, I'd say yes unless you have great RB or FLEX options.  I'd call Gio a low-to-mid RB2.  He'd still get plenty of touches.   My guess is he'd be good for 60-70 total yards and 3-4 receptions.

Edited by ZappB
  • Thanks 1

I still think he is worth a start, but expectations should be tempered. Pittsburgh’s defense is one of the best. I’d be surprised if he can get more than 40-50 yards on the ground, but I think his floor on receptions should be high, as they will have to dump off short passes to keep the pass rush down.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, ZappB said:

Assuming Mixon is out, I'd say yes unless you have great RB or FLEX options.  I'd call Gio a low-to-mid RB2.  He'd still get plenty of touches.   My guess is he'd be good for 60-70 total yards and 3-4 receptions.

3 hours ago, LionKid90 said:

I still think he is worth a start, but expectations should be tempered. Pittsburgh’s defense is one of the best. I’d be surprised if he can get more than 40-50 yards on the ground, but I think his floor on receptions should be high, as they will have to dump off short passes to keep the pass rush down.

Pretty safe bet that it falls somewhere around what you both have projected... ~50 yards + ~3 receptions

If you're desperate I would say Bernard is not the absolute worst you could throw out. It's at the stage where he's probably around guys like James White in reliability if Mixon is available. If Mixon is available I'd say 6-8 ppr would be around Bernard total as a guess?

Edited by LacesOut
Not sure why bold