NBC Sports Edge Forums

Giovani Bernard 2020 Outlook

Well Mixon didn't even dress today, so it's looking like he's going to be a no-go.  Now the question is whether or not we want to risk playing Gio against the Steelers tough D.  Would be counting on dump-offs to provide a nice PPR floor.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm adding him for the mustache alone

His name is Giovani. It's a travesty it took him this long to do it

Here are Gio's 4 games with no Mixon:   19.0, 13.3, 19.6, and 25.6.

Posted Images

Think this is a game where Gio dominates the backfield. I don't think you want to run straight up the middle with Perine against the Steelers. Also, I'm pretty sure Gio is their best pass blocker, and they'll need that against this Pittsburgh pass rush.

15 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I read that Pittsburgh gives up the fewest fantasy points to rb's so I've been debating whether to start Bernard even in a PPR league.

When it comes to a versatile back like Gio that stat has a lot less meaning imo. No doubt the Steelers are one of the best in the league vs the run but they're actually bottom 4th of the league vs the pass. Perine will be the one taking the runs into the middle of the line - that's not Gio's game.

EDIT just to add that Gio has always split carries with other backs. The big benefit to Mixon being out is Mixon is a feature, 3-down back. Gio finally gets on the field to do more than just spell Mixon but to actually get involved on plays designed to get chunk yards. Nothing has really changed with Gio - he can now "do what he does" while getting a likely 60% snap share. I'm surprised at how good he still looks pushing 30 years old.

Edited by SuperJoint
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, MJLM said:

Gio and Duke Johnson are starters in the same week. Not sure that's ever happened before. Going to be very interesting.

It's definitely a rare occurrence. I owned both in 2017 towards end of the season, in ppr both were really solid plays getting 10+ each week. I think Duke may have ended the season close to an RB1. Still not as strange as 2020 though. 

• Like 1

This is wild, he has 36 touches for almost 200 yards and 3 TDs in the last two games and he is still being ranked as a mid-range flex in standard. Even if the Bengals get blown out I still think he has a solid floor. We’ll see how it goes but I think he’s a top 15 RB even against the Steelers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm going Gio as well today.  It's a tough matchup but I'm hoping for a lot of dump offs.  Steelers do pressure and blitz a lot, so I hope I'm not just watching Gio block.

4 hours ago, Mr_Baller said:

I believe that we will not have any Mixon update until the end of the week. Still a hold atm? I am considering using a waiver pick for a "rising" RB.

Wednesday is always the day. First day they report on practice participation.

If not at least a limited practice, no good.

I own Mixon and don't see how anyone could consider dropping Gio at this point. I have no clue if Mixon will even play again this season, the way the Bengals have handled this has been so unclear and confusing. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, ludawg23 said:

DNP for Mixon today - looks like another week with Gio and solid match-up.

I am seriously thinking we don’t see Mixon back this year. This is a mess. Hope everyone held onto their Gio shares! 

• Like 1