NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chicago White Sox 2021 Outlook

Welp, the season overall was great success despite fading at the end and falling 2-1 in the opening series. So I'm already excited for the off-season and the next (hopefully normal) baseball year. 

--Key Losses--

Alex Colome, James McCann.

--Other losses--

Ross Detwiler, Jarrod Dyson, Clayton Richard (didn't actually know he was back with the Sox)

Will probably not pickup Gio Gonzalez' option I'm m assuming.

--Key Needs--

A closer: (could be Bummer) or a strong setup man (if Bummer gets the promotion). 

Another starter: I love Giolito, I pray that Keuchel can repeat this year, I like what Dunning showed...but overall, despite the potential, it leaves me lacking for a team that wants to contend. Cease, Lopez, and Kopech are all wildcards for 2021 IMO. Bauer is not going to happen. Despite his claims to want to be a one-year mercenary, he would be dumb not to cash in after his incredible year (he's the only top SP free agent too $$$$$$$$). Odorizzi could be a solid add to round out the rotation, or maybe Stroman? They should revisit a Lance Lynn trade. That would be awesome! Perhaps they also kick the tires on Quintana in a one-year prove it deal. Maybe Jose likes wearing the black. At any rate, they could use another reliable starter and another depth piece. 

Back-up Catcher: McCann is now a free agent and deserves to be a starter somewhere. Id love if the Sox could convince him to come back, but it seems unlikely. He caught Giolito extremely well. I dont know how Collins does as an actual catcher. There are a slew of catchers available for this role. If they don't think Collins can be that guy, they should prioritize a guy who handles pitchers well. (Bring back Tyler Flowers?)

Anyway, 2020 was fun. After the horrible start the Sox got off to, I was hoping the season would get canceled haha. I'm glad it didn't. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/white-sox-fans-drink-the-most-of-any-mlb-fan-base-study-shows/2453770/ We're #1! We're #1!

The White Sox and Cubs would likely swap popularity. The real question is why the White Sox didn't build their new ballpark in downtown Chicago when they had the chance. Big whoops there. But any

I think ReyLo is beyond repair. But I do believe one of Kopech and Cease will be a solid-to-good back end starter. My money would be on Kopech. Pains me to say this as a former Cease truther. I think

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Bauer is not going to happen. Despite his claims to want to be a one-year mercenary, he would be dumb not to cash in after his incredible year (he's the only top SP free agent too $$$$$$$$).

Yeah and he comes with strings attached as well.  As in the lost of a draft pick or picks since he will undoubtedly reject the Reds qualifying offer which the Reds will make to get themselves those picks.  (Just started a thread about all this so was thinking about same when I read your post).

Of course this lack of pitching aces other than Bauer pushes the cost of other FA pitchers like Odorizzi much higher than they normally would be.  There is another Sox team on the prowl for at least one of these types this off season as well as many many other clubs.  Chicago is fortunate to have some good in house options so it isn't as crucial for them to get one of these pitchers.

Finally congrats to the 2020 White Sox who showed they were just about ready for ring hunting and contended hard a year earlier than most people thought they would.  It will finally be a fun and pleasant thing for you Pale Hose fans moving forward after the long time in the widerness. The years of drought are over and the spring rains came a season early.  Enjoy your team for a long while to come.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I've heard Hinch as well.

Yeah but I just read this:

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the White Sox plan to reach out to Tony La Russa about their managerial opening.

Some of the early speculation has been focused on Alex Cora and A.J. Hinch as Rick Renteria's replacement, but we didn't see this one coming. La Russa is 76 years old and hasn't managed in the majors since 2011, turning down multiple opportunities in recent seasons, but the Hall of Famer has a close relationship with White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf. It would be full circle for La Russa in a sense, as he began his managerial career with the White Sox from 1979-1986. One thing we do know is that the White Sox will have no shortage of interested candidates for one of the most appealing situations in the game.

Source: USA Today                     Oct 12, 2020, 4:10 PM ET

Yeah no one saw that coming as it makes no sense whatsoever.  If it happens the White Sox fans will be up in arms over such a stupid move.

15 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

If they hire Larissa I'm out haha. Super dumb. 

Despite the mild chatter on it, I'd be shocked if they wound up hiring Tony LaRussa. He's 76 years old for chrissakes and has been out of the game for a decade!

In spite of the front office tandem of Kenny Williams & Rick Hahn being the couple of putz's that they normally are, just as pleasantly surprised as I was they canned idiot manager Rick Renteria, I'd be equally surprised if they then in turn handed the reins of a young, highly talented, ready to take off for a long time coming, high contention squad, over to a 76 year old Tony LaRussa a decade removed from the game.

I will say this however, in that one thing is for certain:  if the Sox go with A.J. Hinch or Alex Cora as their next manager, you can more or less throw any hopes of signing Trevor Bauer out the window. Dude made it abundantly clear that he was, let's just say, not exactly fond of the cheating scandals that those two oversaw as managers of their previous respective squads. As a ChiSox diehard, if I had it my way, I'd go hard after Mike Scioscia and then I'd open up the checkbooks and put on the full court press for Trevor Bauer.

• Like 1

White Sox aren't signing Trevor Bauer so that is a moot point.  They aren't as desperate as a team like the Yankees or others who are willing to throw ridiculous money his way.  White Sox have a nice assortment of in house options and don't need to fall into that trap.

OTOH Alex Cora knows how to get the most out of his players and for a team where most of their top hitters are Latinos he is a match made in heaven.  To be able to speak to Latino players in their comfort zone native language directly and to have the personal likeability skills he has gives an extra bonus that can't be underestimated.  Rafael Devers grew and flourished under him in Boston.  Cora became his father/big brother figure.  Never underestimate the human factor.

And just a minor FYI:  LaRussa has worked in baseball paid by the Red Sox for a number of years as a "consultant" who actually attended in person almost every single home game and a even a few road game trips sitting right next to Dave Dombrowski at games night in and night out.  We always always always got two-shots of those two sitting together during the local broadcast.  Once Dombrowski was fired LaRussa just sat at home and collected the rest of the pay on his multi-year contract this season.  But until this year he actually was an "active" as opposed to a "fake" consultant.  But yes he should never manage again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 10/14/2020 at 6:17 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

Also, i don't think Hahn is a putz

Rick Hahn went to my high school. Granted, our time there didn't overlap, as he's 9 years my senior (his class of '89, to my class of '98), but word on the street was that he didn't drink in high school - and it's common knowledge you can't trust someone who doesn't drink - and to boot, he graduated still a virgin.

Plus he held the title as White Sox general manager at the time of the singularly worst, most egregious, ridiculous Icelandic abortion of a trade (both at the time and certainly as well as today in hindsight) in modern sports history, when, as a team light on talent and never expected to contend and sitting in 4th place in their own division after having lost 16 of their previous 20 games at the time, he went out of his way unsolicited to trade for James Shields, who was already the very worst starting pitcher in the baseball and was 24 hrs after having just given up 11 runs (10 earned) in 2.2 innings in his last start with the Padres, as well as half of his 18 million dollars salary on the books for another 2 1/2 years.....in exchange for a free, 18 year old Fernando Tatis Jr, whom, even already at the time was by far and away the Sox best and literally only prospect worth even a half damn in the entire system.

And therefore, added all together, a putz. And an unequivocal one at that. Actually, come to think of it, me labeling Hahn as simply just a putz, that's awfully generous of me. Don't care what else he did before or what he's done since. Because, frankly, all that right there, in my opinion, disqualifies Rick Hahn from being called anything other than a putz. 

So agree to disagree there.

5 hours ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

So agree to disagree there.

Haha well thats a compelling argument!

I like to think that trade was driven by Kenny. 

Also, whats an Icelandic abortion?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Haha well thats a compelling argument!

I like to think that trade was driven by Kenny. 

Also, whats an Icelandic abortion?

Agree to agree in that Kenny Williams was likely the driving force, as he's a pompous douchebag control freak with an enormously overinflated ego who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room, even though him being the smartest -- smartest, well, anything really -- that couldn't be further from the truth, who has lifetime carte blanche from ChiSox owner Jerry Reinsdorf to do whatever the hell he damn-well pleases with the ballclub; and Rick Hahn was more of Kenny's puppet and mostly General Manager in name only at that early juncture of his tenure. Still though, by my estimation, both Williams and Hahn deserve blame and ridicule over that monstrosity of a trade; although Kenny probably a little bit more so than Rick.

As for an Icelandic abortion, that's an excellent question actually. An Icelandic abortion doesn't really carry so much of any specified defined meaning per say, as much as it simply just has a fantastic ring to it as an implication of something that is so unmistakably disastrous, so unconditionally cataclysmic, so completely and utterly botched beyond the wildest of human imagination...that the only thing that comes to mind that would even begin to aptly describe it would be, in fact, an Icelandic abortion.

But I guess if we're talking in literal terms, then I suppose an Icelandic abortion would simply just be an abortion that takes place in Iceland; like, the country. 

But yeah, no, I was definitely using it in the figurative sense.

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Tony LaRussa. Yeah. 

Condolences to all you Pale Hose fans.  I can't believe this one at all.  For the record the Rotoworld blurb:

Tony La Russa has been named the new manager of the White Sox.

It's a somewhat shocking hire, as La Russa just turned 76 years old and hasn't managed since "retiring" after the Cardinals' World Series championship in 2011, but the Hall of Famer has a longstanding relationship with White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf, and it sounds like the club didn't seriously pursue any other candidates to fill the spot made vacant by Rick Renteria's firing earlier this month. La Russa served as the White Sox manager from 1979-1986 before moving on to Oakland (1986-1995) and then St. Louis (1996-2011). As it stands, the oldest manager to win a World Series is 72-year-old Jack McKeon with the Marlins in 2003.

Source: Chicago White Sox on Twitter     Oct 29, 2020, 2:05 PM ET

I mean, it could work out just fine, but I dont understand the rush to hire him. It really puts a damper on the post-2020 season Sox excitement. 

It reminds of when the Bears could have hired Bruce Arians to be their coach but zagged and hired CFL legend Marc Trestman, Man from the Moon. 

I also worry that Hahn might resign, but hopefully he's willing to see how this goes. 

And to cap it off, the Tigers look close to hiring Hinch.

Edited by 2ndCitySox
On 10/13/2020 at 7:25 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

If they hire Larissa I'm out haha. Super dumb. 

On 10/14/2020 at 5:06 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Tony LaRussa should never manage again.

I can’t believe the Sox hired a 78 year old fossil. Tony’s contract probably has a clause, he won’t be available between 2-4 nap time. 
My money was on Alex Cora. 

Hilarious. Maybe they wanted a stopgap before they gave the reins over to that 20-something wunderkind managing in the minors for them?

Fantasy wise I don't think it does much for the Sox. All their major guys are still major guys. It's not like Eloy won't hit 40 HRs now, or Abreu won't drive in 110+. If anything on the pitching side it might help. Guys like Gio and DK certainly won't get Blake Snell'd with TLR managing, so you don't have to bite your nails about W and QS cats. One thing I wonder about is how Vaughn gets thrown in. Can someone fill me in on how much TLR tends to trust rookies? Vaughn will likely be a ML-ready 850 OPS bat by May, but if he bats 8th or doesn't get everyday ABs that'll be a major bummer.

Also the narrative that they put out (which I am dubious about to begin with) that they knew about the DUI actually makes them look even more stupid, not to mention the fact they plan to do nothing discipline-wise. But let's be honest here, the team could go 162-0 and they STILL wouldn't draw fans, or at least draw more than the Cubs on the North side. Whether that is systemic or whatnot, I don't know. 

1 hour ago, supac720 said:

Also the narrative that they put out (which I am dubious about to begin with) that they knew about the DUI actually makes them look even more stupid, not to mention the fact they plan to do nothing discipline-wise. But let's be honest here, the team could go 162-0 and they STILL wouldn't draw fans, or at least draw more than the Cubs on the North side. Whether that is systemic or whatnot, I don't know. 

It looks horrible. 

And yes the Sox do draw fans, but only when they seem legitimately good.

The Cubs had the benefit of a national audience via WGN and of course, a much more tourist-friendly part of the city. This attributes to much of their draw. 

I really wonder what would happen if you put Comiskey II on the Northside and Wrigley on the south. 

• Like 2