NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chicago White Sox 2021 Outlook

7 hours ago, supac720 said:

Also the narrative that they put out (which I am dubious about to begin with) that they knew about the DUI actually makes them look even more stupid, not to mention the fact they plan to do nothing discipline-wise. But let's be honest here, the team could go 162-0 and they STILL wouldn't draw fans, or at least draw more than the Cubs on the North side. Whether that is systemic or whatnot, I don't know. 

I always thought if the team wins fans will come. Bandwagon fans jump on board all off a sudden everybody is wearing a white Sox hat. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/white-sox-fans-drink-the-most-of-any-mlb-fan-base-study-shows/2453770/ We're #1! We're #1!

The White Sox and Cubs would likely swap popularity. The real question is why the White Sox didn't build their new ballpark in downtown Chicago when they had the chance. Big whoops there. But any

I think ReyLo is beyond repair. But I do believe one of Kopech and Cease will be a solid-to-good back end starter. My money would be on Kopech. Pains me to say this as a former Cease truther. I think

On 11/10/2020 at 8:51 AM, 2ndCitySox said:

It looks horrible. 

And yes the Sox do draw fans, but only when they seem legitimately good.

The Cubs had the benefit of a national audience via WGN and of course, a much more tourist-friendly part of the city. This attributes to much of their draw. 

I really wonder what would happen if you put Comiskey II on the Northside and Wrigley on the south. 

The White Sox and Cubs would likely swap popularity. The real question is why the White Sox didn't build their new ballpark in downtown Chicago when they had the chance. Big whoops there.

But anyway, LaRussa. Total shithead. Can't believe the tone deafness on Reinsdorf's part. White Sox are on the cusp of becoming the most exciting team in baseball and they go and hire a geriatric habitual drunk driver who may or may not be racist. Would be funny if it wasn't so off-putting and depressing. The story should be Robert and Anderson and the rest of the fun young core they have and instead it's about this self-inflicted tumor.

• Like 3
13 hours ago, KrunK said:

LaRussa is a piece of ****. Sorry chi sox fans, you don’t want this dude anywhere near your franchise at this point. 

I'm hoping Reinsdorf wakes up and they undo this deal with LaRussa. Too bad Hinch already signed elsewhere, but there's plenty of good candidates out there. 

8 hours ago, sleepysock said:

The White Sox and Cubs would likely swap popularity. The real question is why the White Sox didn't build their new ballpark in downtown Chicago when they had the chance. Big whoops there.

But anyway, LaRussa. Total shithead. Can't believe the tone deafness on Reinsdorf's part. White Sox are on the cusp of becoming the most exciting team in baseball and they go and hire a geriatric habitual drunk driver who may or may not be racist. Would be funny if it wasn't so off-putting and depressing. The story should be Robert and Anderson and the rest of the fun young core they have and instead it's about this self-inflicted tumor.

Hiring LaRussa at the juncture in the team's development might be the White Soxiest thing ever. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/12/2020 at 1:45 PM, 2ndCitySox said:

Hiring LaRussa at the juncture in the team's development might be the White Soxiest thing ever. 

100% Jerry's hire not Hahn's.  Now they bring in Lance Lynn who came up with La Russa that should help him in the clubhouse.

Anderson - Eaton - Grandal - Abreu - Jimenez - Moncada - Roberts - Engel - Madrigal  👀

Giolito - Keuchel - Lynn - Cease - Kopech  👍

Bummer - Marshall - Heuer - Foster - Fry  🤔

That lineup is straight filth.  Starters are solid with upside on the back end.  Bullpen needs another impact arm or two to go the distance IMO.  With Hendricks, Yates, and Hand yet to sign, any one of them would vault CWS to WS favorites in the AL in my book.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Anderson - Eaton - Grandal - Abreu - Jimenez - Moncada - Roberts - Engel - Madrigal  👀

That lineup is straight filth.  Starters are solid with upside on the back end.  Bullpen needs another impact arm or two to go the distance IMO.  With Hendricks, Yates, and Hand yet to sign, any one of them would vault CWS to WS favorites in the AL in my book.

Yep the rotation needs some depth. A guy that can eat innings at least. 

You nailed it on the bullpen. 

Sox have spent basically nothing so far so im interested to see who they target in FA. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yep the rotation needs some depth. A guy that can eat innings at least. 

You nailed it on the bullpen. 

Sox have spent basically nothing so far so im interested to see who they target in FA. 

A bonafide closer and a guy like Rosenthal or Soria would be ideal, allowing Bummer to be the lefty in a fireman role.  JA Happ or Quintana would be a nice fit for them, being a lefty and usually throwing a ton of innings.  Either way, good time to be a White Sox fan for sure.

5 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

A bonafide closer and a guy like Rosenthal or Soria would be ideal, allowing Bummer to be the lefty in a fireman role.  JA Happ or Quintana would be a nice fit for them, being a lefty and usually throwing a ton of innings.  Either way, good time to be a White Sox fan for sure.

I'd be stunned if they didn't bring back Quintana on a deal similar to Eaton's. Seems like a very White Sox move. They can throw him in the rotation or use him in relief an spot start work like they did Gio Gonzalez, only he's obviously a better version of that.

Hendricks would be an amazing get for them. Guys like Heuer and Bummer could close, but ideally they're setup men. I assume they'll go after a DH on a one year deal also (unless they plan on having Vaughn occupy the spot from the jump). Schwarber would make a lot of sense.

All I know is that whoever is ultimately batting leadoff for them (probably TA) is going to be on all my teams. He scored 45 in 49 games last season. That's gonna be 120+ runs in the bank at a minimum if he's healthy. The power in this lineup is kind of insane. Leadoff dude gets on base, leadoff dude comes home on Moncada or Abreu or Eloy extra base hit is gonna be a skipping record all year.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Yeah absolutely. I'm intrigued about the prospect of Q coming back. He would likely be pedestrian, but maybe he just plays better in black. 

And yes no doubt, I haven't been this engaged and excited about an offseason since 2006.

9 hours ago, sleepysock said:

All I know is that whoever is ultimately batting leadoff for them (probably TA) is going to be on all my teams. He scored 45 in 49 games last season. That's gonna be 120+ runs in the bank at a minimum if he's healthy. The power in this lineup is kind of insane. Leadoff dude gets on base, leadoff dude comes home on Moncada or Abreu or Eloy extra base hit is gonna be a skipping record all year.

In fantasy terms, the value is in Adam Eaton at the moment.  He's currently slated to hit second for CHW and is going at pick #408.  That's 369 picks after Tim Anderson.  I love Anderson, the guy is the kind of baseball player every team dreams of having and in real life he's gold.  But in fantasy he relies on a monster BABIP to maintain his average.  He doesn't walk (career 3.4%) and I'm not paying Xander Bogaerts money for Anderson at pick #39 and at the deepest position in fantasy.

• Like 2
On 12/8/2020 at 9:10 PM, En Votto Veritas said:

Need to add Crochet in the bullpen, he is a HUGE impact arm. 

Hendricks / Hand should be main targets now.  

Q makes all the sense in the world to be the long relief / depth SP. 

Don't forget about Garcia on the bench, he is very valuable. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

Imagine if the White Sox sign Bauer, and also acquire two good bullpen arms. They would be the best team in baseball. Definitely the most fun too watch imo

They would league the league in psychos. I'm in. Bring Sale back and make him wear that Sox uniform from the 70's that included shorts. 

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

They would league the league in psychos. I'm in. Bring Sale back and make him wear that Sox uniform from the 70's that included shorts.

Bring back Carl Everett and make him head of HR

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, Ecofolux said:

Imagine if the White Sox sign Bauer, and also acquire two good bullpen arms. They would be the best team in baseball. Definitely the most fun too watch imo

Well there’s one good bullpen arm for ya. Enter Liam Hendricks. 

Personally, as a Sox fan, don’t love it.

The shelf life on elite closers sustaining that level of “eliteness”, on average...yeah, it ain’t good.

Not that Hendricks doesn’t make them a better team in 2021. It might. I mean, one would think it would or at least should

But might not though.

For all we know, from the moment Hendricks first takes the bump for the ChiSox, he’s just as likely to be Blake Treinen 2019 or, worse yet, Billy Koch redux for the south sliders, as he is Liam Hendricks for the past collective 135-140 games or so that he’s been closing major league ballgames between around the midway point of 2019 and the 60 game abbreviated 2020 season.

Hoping for the best.

Edited by Chest-Rockwell
3 hours ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Well there’s one good bullpen arm for ya. Enter Liam Hendricks. 

Personally, as a Sox fan, don’t love it.

The shelf life on elite closers sustaining that level of “eliteness”, on average...yeah, it ain’t good.

Not that Hendricks doesn’t make them a better team in 2021. It might. I mean, one would think it would or at least should

But might not though.

For all we know, from the moment Hendricks first takes the bump for the ChiSox, he’s just as likely to be Blake Treinen 2019 or, worse yet, Billy Koch redux for the south sliders, as he is Liam Hendricks for the past collective 135-140 games or so that he’s been closing major league ballgames between around the midway point of 2019 and the 60 game abbreviated 2020 season.

Hoping for the best.

I’m not a White Sox fan, but if I was I think I’d be pretty ecstatic about the signing. The owner is finally spending money and it comes at a time when 90% of MLB owners seem to be crying poor due to the pandemic. They filled their biggest weakness with the best available arm on the market. It falls in line with the 3-year, $52 million contract the Rockies gave a 32 year old Wade Davis a few years back. Of course that contract didn’t work out, but Davis had been having elbow problems and showing signs of decline at the time. Hendricks is a stud and it seems like he really takes good care of his body. Enjoy the ride. The window is now wide open for the Sox and they’re going to be really fun to watch.

• Like 1

Yeah... have to be happy about the move 

ownershipbwas never willing to oay big fir the big bois so ill be happy with getting whatever we can

8 hours ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Not that x doesn’t make them a better team in x. It might. I mean, one would think it would or at least should

But might not though.

This would be useful to describe every signing, trade, or draft pick ever made.