NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chicago White Sox 2021 Outlook

8 hours ago, Chest-Rockwell said:

Well there’s one good bullpen arm for ya. Enter Liam Hendricks. 

Personally, as a Sox fan, don’t love it.

The shelf life on elite closers sustaining that level of “eliteness”, on average...yeah, it ain’t good.

Not that Hendricks doesn’t make them a better team in 2021. It might. I mean, one would think it would or at least should

But might not though.

For all we know, from the moment Hendricks first takes the bump for the ChiSox, he’s just as likely to be Blake Treinen 2019 or, worse yet, Billy Koch redux for the south sliders, as he is Liam Hendricks for the past collective 135-140 games or so that he’s been closing major league ballgames between around the midway point of 2019 and the 60 game abbreviated 2020 season.

Hoping for the best.

The price is a little rich but who would you have preferred they sign?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/white-sox-fans-drink-the-most-of-any-mlb-fan-base-study-shows/2453770/ We're #1! We're #1!

The White Sox and Cubs would likely swap popularity. The real question is why the White Sox didn't build their new ballpark in downtown Chicago when they had the chance. Big whoops there. But any

I think ReyLo is beyond repair. But I do believe one of Kopech and Cease will be a solid-to-good back end starter. My money would be on Kopech. Pains me to say this as a former Cease truther. I think

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

The price is a little rich but who would you have preferred they sign?

Bauer or Springer.

I'm not at all unhappy about signing Hendriks. He has been great these past two seasons. I just hope he keeps it up. Cautiously optimistic that he does.

It's more of fundamental distrust of throwing big dollars as elite closers. The flameout rate is astronomical; and when it happens, the descent is quick.

• Like 1

Hendricks takes a good bullpen and makes it near elite.  Hendricks-Bummer-Marshall is nails and Crochet and Heuer are both young, high upside relievers.  Fry and Foster are serviceable with upside.  I'm doing a quick scan now and I'd say CWS now has a top 3 bullpen with NYY and NYM.  LAD, ATL, and StL are in the mix in the next tier.

IMO the signing of Hendricks, while expensive, makes the team much more balanced.  With bats for days and three excellent starters, having a good pen rounds out the squad for a title run.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Hendricks takes a good bullpen and makes it near elite.  Hendricks-Bummer-Marshall is nails and Crochet and Heuer are both young, high upside relievers.  Fry and Foster are serviceable with upside.  I'm doing a quick scan now and I'd say CWS now has a top 3 bullpen with NYY and NYM.  LAD, ATL, and StL are in the mix in the next tier.

IMO the signing of Hendricks, while expensive, makes the team much more balanced.  With bats for days and three excellent starters, having a good pen rounds out the squad for a title run.

They probably need another starter. Maybe not a free agent signing but an in season trade could work. What are the chances Cease / Kopech / Lopez can both stay healthy and deliver good results as the 4 and 5 starters? I would say not very high.

8 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

They probably need another starter. Maybe not a free agent signing but an in season trade could work. What are the chances Cease / Kopech / Lopez can both stay healthy and deliver good results as the 4 and 5 starters? I would say not very high.

I think ReyLo is beyond repair. But I do believe one of Kopech and Cease will be a solid-to-good back end starter. My money would be on Kopech. Pains me to say this as a former Cease truther. I think it's highly likely the White Sox make another SP acquisition. Even after landing Lynn they were rumored to be in on Gray, so they're looking. I would personally put money on Quintana coming back on a short term deal to take on the same role Gio Gonzalez did last year.

Hendricks will be great but my hot take is that he won't even be their best reliever. I think Crochet is probably penciled into the 2022 starting staff, so he could ramp up to throw 100+ innings by year's end. With his dynamite stuff, he could put up a 2014 Betances types of season.

Edited by sleepysock
  • Like 3
7 hours ago, sleepysock said:

I think ReyLo is beyond repair. But I do believe one of Kopech and Cease will be a solid-to-good back end starter. My money would be on Kopech. Pains me to say this as a former Cease truther. I think it's highly likely the White Sox make another SP acquisition. Even after landing Lynn they were rumored to be in on Gray, so they're looking. I would personally put money on Quintana coming back on a short term deal to take on the same role Gio Gonzalez did last year.

Hendricks will be great but my hot take is that he won't even be their best reliever. I think Crochet is probably penciled into the 2022 starting staff, so he could ramp up to throw 100+ innings by year's end. With his dynamite stuff, he could put up a 2014 Betances types of season.

Yeah Lopez is likely best suited for the bullpen. I think Cease and Kopech can both be effective starters this year, but the Sox will need some depth and I could 100% see Quintana coming back. 

Still in on Sonny Gray? I hadn't heard that. If they got him the Sox, at least in the offseason, would make up for what the Bears do to my sports psyche.

• 1 month later...

I know I'm getting super greedy but I would love to see the White Sox add one more SP, preferably Sonny Gray...but at this point I would take a Duffy/Means/J Gray type

1 hour ago, Ecofolux said:

I know I'm getting super greedy but I would love to see the White Sox add one more SP, preferably Sonny Gray...but at this point I would take a Duffy/Means/J Gray type

You aren't being greedy. Reinsdork is being cheap.

White Sox have very little depth, it's their achilles heal going into 2021. Once players start getting injured we will see the weakness. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Pretty crap start to the season. Not Athletics bad, but frustrating enough. 7 (seven!) unearned runs in the series with the Angels, and the bullpen looked more bad than good. 

Rodon goes tonight @ SEA against Sheffield. Here's to winning this series and making me feel better. 

3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Pretty crap start to the season. Not Athletics bad, but frustrating enough. 7 (seven!) unearned runs in the series with the Angels, and the bullpen looked more bad than good. 

Rodon goes tonight @ SEA against Sheffield. Here's to winning this series and making me feel better. 

The defense needs to tighten up. The ball hitting Robert on the head during a routine flyout was embarrassing.