NBC Sports Edge Forums

MLB 2020-21 Offseason Trades, FA Signings and Changes

For as poorly executed and misdirected as Prellar's first "go big" offseason was, this one is just the opposite.  I like every move he has so far made.

Edited by colorado2013
  • Like 1
  • Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, the absolute horror of a team trying to acquire better players to win now. Dan Diego fans must be rioting at the idea of giving up their precious farm system ranking.

I've always liked Carlos Santana mostly because he is perpetually undervalued.  He's Max Muncy, Matt Olson, Pete Alonso, Luke Voit, Moose, etc without the upside.  What do you save for this lack of up

Mets owner Steve Cohen announced Tuesday morning that the club has fired general manager Jared Porter.

This comes after an ESPN report on Monday which detailed that Porter "explicit, unsolicited texts and images to a female reporter in 2016." Porter acknowledged sending the messages when contacted by ESPN on Monday, but denied that the explicit images were of him, saying that they were "kinda like joke-stock images." Mets president Sandy Alderson released a statement late Monday saying that the team was gathering the facts, but Porter's dismissal was a foregone conclusion. Cohen acted swiftly Tuesday morning, saying that there should be "zero tolerance for this type of behavior." Assistant general manager Zack Scott, who was the runner-up for the GM job earlier this offseason, will presumably take on an increased role following Porter's exit.

4 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Mets owner Steve Cohen announced Tuesday morning that the club has fired general manager Jared Porter.

This comes after an ESPN report on Monday which detailed that Porter "explicit, unsolicited texts and images to a female reporter in 2016." Porter acknowledged sending the messages when contacted by ESPN on Monday, but denied that the explicit images were of him, saying that they were "kinda like joke-stock images." Mets president Sandy Alderson released a statement late Monday saying that the team was gathering the facts, but Porter's dismissal was a foregone conclusion. Cohen acted swiftly Tuesday morning, saying that there should be "zero tolerance for this type of behavior." Assistant general manager Zack Scott, who was the runner-up for the GM job earlier this offseason, will presumably take on an increased role following Porter's exit.

Closes out one of the best moves in Mets history (Lindor + Carasco), just completes another trade Mets fans are excited about (Luchesse) and then gets fired.

The Mets can't enjoy anything without a little misfortune. 

Rotoworld details on Joe Musgrove trade:

Padres acquired RHP Joe Musgrove from the Pirates as part of a three-team, seven-player trade.

The deal was reported on Monday and is now official. By parting ways with Musgrove, the Pirates will acquire OF prospect Hudson Head, LHP prospect Omar Cruz, RHP prospect Drake Fellows, and reliever David Bednar from the Padres. In turn, San Diego will ship LHP Joey Lucchesi to the Mets while 1B/OF/C prospect Endy Rodriguez will head to Pittsburgh. The Padres already added Yu Darvish and Blake Snell via trade this offseason, but they are doing everything they can to make their rotation as dangerous as possible. And while this is just speculation, it also doesn't hurt to add some depth in the event that Dinelson Lamet isn't 100 percent. The club could also utilize as a six-man rotation. Either way, the Padres are legitimate World Series contenders. And they might not be done yet.

Jan 19, 2021, 12:27 PM ET

Hudson Head is the only real name prospect back and he is still in rookie ball.

9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Rotoworld details on Joe Musgrove trade:

Hudson Head is the only real name prospect back and he is still in rookie ball.

I am not all that knowledgeable about prospects, only know what I read, but it reads like the prospect they got from the Mets, Endy Rodriguez, has a little potential if he sticks behind the plate.

Didn't see it posted here yet:

The Blue Jays and free-agent reliever Kirby Yates have agreed to a contract, pending a physical, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports. Jon Heyman of MLB Network tweeted earlier Tuesday that the two sides were nearing a deal. Yates is a Beverly Hills Sports Council client.

They added Chatwood as well earlier this week.

Edited by En Votto Veritas

Yates isn't all.  Jays go all in for a big name:

ESPN's Jeff Passan confirms that the Blue Jays are in agreement on a deal with outfielder George Springer.

In retrospect, Brendon Kuhn of the Blue Jays Nation blog actually had the news first, with Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic providing the financials: six years, $150 million -- the richest contract in franchise history. Springer is headed to the team's spring training complex in Dunedin, Florida and it will all be official after he passes the necessary pre-signing physical exam. This should prove to be a huge fantasy boost -- and obviously real-life boost, too -- for the entire lineup in Toronto. The 31-year-old three-time American League All-Star has produced a .284/.376/.576 slash line (.953 OPS) with 53 home runs and 128 RBI over his last 173 games dating back to the beginning of 2019. He mostly hit leadoff for the Astros and should do the same with the Jays.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter       Jan 19, 2021, 10:53 PM ET

Good for the Jays! Contract is probably a little rich but sometimes you need to go for it. I wonder what other offers he had? Blue Jays will be dangerous

Quintana to the Angels for 1 year 8 mil. I was hoping the W Sox got him, especially for that price. 

Heard on the local sports radio in Chicago (670 the Score) of some sort of Corbin Burnes to the White Sox rumor. However, using the Google machine, all i saw was some reddit post about it. For all I know it was one of you guys. 

So, we will see. In the altered words of Louis Armstrong, "Give me, a rumor to build a dream on..."

That last season or 2 of that Springer deal won't look too good, but agreed with the sentiment above that sometimes a little overpay is what you need to jumpstart a team. It seems to have worked well with San Diego and that Hosmer deal.

They had to overpay in years in both signings, but they are a better team right now for it.

What SP could they go for? Other than Bauer, not sure there is a SP that would push the needle for them much on the free agent market. 

What does the Toronto depth Chart look like now?  OF - Springer, Brantley, Gurriel, Teoscar, Grichuk.  Assume Grichuk is a bench bat now and the other 3 rotate between OF and DH for the most part?

I'd expect them to have something in place to move an OF/C for rotation help, but we'll see. 5 OF for 4 spots (3OF + DH) isn't bad. Depth and ability to rest guys. Wish they had wrestled LeMahieu and Brantley instead of Springer and Brantley, but I'll take it.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Blue Jays "have had an offer out" to free agent reliever Brad Hand.

Between him and reported concerned about him due a decline, and Yates coming back from his injury, these would be 2 moves that have the potential of being great or awful. Who would close?

22 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Lol Brantley to Astros.  

I wonder what is up with that?

Did reporters jump the gun on the Blue Jays deal or did Brantley back track? I assume the former, but maybe Houston came back with a better offer than they initially had? We never got the money on the supposed Toronto offer.

53 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

I wonder what is up with that?

Did reporters jump the gun on the Blue Jays deal or did Brantley back track? I assume the former, but maybe Houston came back with a better offer than they initially had? We never got the money on the supposed Toronto offer.

Typical MLB reporter race to the bottom with the obsession to be first.

12 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Typical MLB reporter race to the bottom with the obsession to be first.

That is what I assume as well.

I guess they did give us the chance for some messageboard activity.

Edited by colorado2013
  • Like 1