NBC Sports Edge Forums

MLB 2020-21 Offseason Trades, FA Signings and Changes

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, the absolute horror of a team trying to acquire better players to win now. Dan Diego fans must be rioting at the idea of giving up their precious farm system ranking.

I've always liked Carlos Santana mostly because he is perpetually undervalued.  He's Max Muncy, Matt Olson, Pete Alonso, Luke Voit, Moose, etc without the upside.  What do you save for this lack of up

42 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

Twins sign Simmons for 10.5 million.   Not sure I understand this move, that's pretty much what Rosario would have gotten I think.  I think Simmons is better than Rosario, but then you have to consider moving Polanco and/or Arraez off their natural positions.  

Posting of the signing talks of Polanco going to a utility role.

I am on board with you, this did seem surprising. Why lose Rosario's bat when you already have a decent SS, unless I am missing something about Polanco.

My early season hail mary prediction was Minnesota passing on Nelson Cruz and signing Marcell Ozuna. I would say this deal all but certainly means that isn't happening. Chances were slim to none to start with, I know.

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

If he can turn into an elite level pitcher, sure in theory they could return a better haul. That seems like a very unlikely scenario . This doesn’t seem much different than the haul the Cubs got for one year of Darvish (an ace). Maybe these returns look night and day in 5 years , but they seem similar right now. If Taillon gets hurt again or is terrible he might have minimal trade value.

I personally think the risk  outweighs the reward in holding him. 

Why would he need to turn into an elite level pitcher to get a better haul? And Darvish is 34 and with 3 years left on his deal at $59M. 

Taillon hasn't thrown a major league pitch since May 1, 2019. If he even pitches to career averages in the first half of 2021 I'd have to think he'd get a better return than these 4 prospects. And if you're the Pirates shouldn't you be shooting for upside? And in that sense, isn't Taillon a cheap way of cashing in for upside? Wouldn't Taillon have to pitch horribly to not net the same return in July as now? 

I'd take the chance that Taillon has something like a 5+ ERA at the all-star break and risk losing out on getting these 4 prospects for the upside that he pitches to his career averages and nets a package with more upside.

But I guess the point is moot anyway.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

The details:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network confirms that free agent infielder Tommy La Stella has signed with the Giants.

Alex Pavlovic of NBC Sports Bay Area first passed along word that an agreement was close, and ESPN's Jeff Passan says it'll be a three-year deal. La Stella, 31, batted .289/.356/.471 with 21 home runs in 135 games (549 plate appearances) for the Angels and Athletics between 2019-2020 and projects to play both second base and third base for San Francisco in a sort of tri-platoon with Donovan Solano and Evan Longoria. It's a nice real-life fit, and it could be a good fantasy fit too if the designated hitter remains a thing in the National League.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter           Jan 26, 2021, 9:07 PM ET

As a Giants fan I am 100% here for this La Stella signing.  As a fantasy player I'm also interested in it as it pretty much guarantees La Stella as much playing time as he can get and puts him behind Yaz/Solano/Dickerson which isn't as bad as most people think.  There could be 80+ RBIs and good AVG/OBP here for virtually no draft cost.  Good bench bat or MI reserve.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

As a Giants fan I am 100% here for this La Stella signing.  As a fantasy player I'm also interested in it as it pretty much guarantees La Stella as much playing time as he can get and puts him behind Yaz/Solano/Dickerson which isn't as bad as most people think.  There could be 80+ RBIs and good AVG/OBP here for virtually no draft cost.  Good bench bat or MI reserve.

Where will this leave poor Wilmer? I can't believe he will be left out in the cold for Solano, who is nearly 4 yrs older...but might be the case unless DH comes into play?

13 hours ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

Why would he need to turn into an elite level pitcher to get a better haul? And Darvish is 34 and with 3 years left on his deal at $59M. 

Taillon hasn't thrown a major league pitch since May 1, 2019. If he even pitches to career averages in the first half of 2021 I'd have to think he'd get a better return than these 4 prospects. And if you're the Pirates shouldn't you be shooting for upside? And in that sense, isn't Taillon a cheap way of cashing in for upside? Wouldn't Taillon have to pitch horribly to not net the same return in July as now? 

I'd take the chance that Taillon has something like a 5+ ERA at the all-star break and risk losing out on getting these 4 prospects for the upside that he pitches to his career averages and nets a package with more upside.

But I guess the point is moot anyway.

I don't think the haul for 1.5 years of Taillon is going to be that high, and that's assuming he pitches well, which is as assumption. Lance Lynn haul for 1 year was nothing.  The age doesn't matter to me, you're either pitching well or not.  Taillon being much younger is completely mitigated by only having 1.5 years left before FA.

Teams have been quite reluctant to part with elite level prospects, and I still maintain that a haul for Taillon isn't incredibly improved by half a season of good play. And that good play is still an assumption.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Where will this leave poor Wilmer? I can't believe he will be left out in the cold for Solano, who is nearly 4 yrs older...but might be the case unless DH comes into play?

Yeah, I think it'll be a straight platoon with Flores. Flores is too good against lefties and LaStella not so much.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I think @fletch44 is right about a straight platoon for La Stella; he should bat everyday against righties.  

3 hours ago, fletch44 said:

Yeah, I think it'll be a straight platoon with Flores. Flores is too good against lefties and LaStella not so much.

However there's an article on Fangraphs right now that claims he'll be platooning with Longoria/Solano, not Flores:

Fortunately, one of the reasons the Giants are a good fit for La Stella is that they shouldn’t need to play him against lefties any more than they want to. The team’s entrenched starters at second base and third base — La Stella’s primary spots — are Donovan Solano and Evan Longoria, two right-handed hitters. Solano’s batting average-led surge in the last couple years has made him a breakout success in San Francisco, and Longoria still provides value as a good defender with an average bat. If La Stella is keeping his head above water against southpaws, the Giants can play him as much as they want in rotation with the other two. If he isn’t, then there isn’t any pressure to force him into the lineup.

I think ultimately it will be a Rays-esque sort of infield with platoons and matchups rotating between La Stella, Solano, Flores, Longoria, Crawford.  There may be a similar rotating door in the outfield with Dickerson/Slater/Dubon and potentially Flores and Belt as well.  Really only Yaz and possibly Belt are guaranteed to be starting absolutely every day.  Not ideal but definitely viable as far as real life baseball goes.  I just hope there's enough at-bats to make La Stella viable in fantasy as I love his profile.

• Like 2

Blue Jays acquired LHP Steven Matz from the Mets for RHPs Sean Reid-Foley, Yennsy Diáz and Josh Winckowski.

Matz surrendered a whopping 14 home runs over 30 2/3 innings for the Mets last season. He's due for some better luck in that regard, but pitching in the AL East obviously isn't an ideal landing spot. The left-hander doesn't look like a very wise investment in mixed fantasy leagues.

They are young and tease of some limited but attractive past success, but Ray AND Matz as solutions to your pitching problems is not the way I would go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
22 hours ago, En Votto Veritas said:

I think @fletch44 is right about a straight platoon for La Stella; he should bat everyday against righties.

I think La Stella is too good to just platoon.  And he was a free agent signing, not a trade.  I can't imagine he signed a three year deal without everyday play guarantees.

Meanwhile, America bids farewell to Tanaka:

Masahiro Tanaka has officially agreed to a two-year contract with the Rakuten Eagles in Japan.

Even though the writing has been on the wall for weeks, this still feels like a stunning development, and a serious indictment on the current financial landscape in Major League Baseball. Unless, of course, Tanaka simply wanted to return home after a seven-year run in New York. The right-hander began his professional career with the Rakuten Eagles of Nippon Professional Baseball way back in 2007 at the age of 18. Now age 32, he posted a sharp 3.56 ERA, 1.17 WHIP, and 44/8 K/BB ratio in 48 innings (10 starts) last year with the Yankees.

Source: RakutenEagles.jp                Jan 28, 2021, 7:09 AM ET

Cardinals re-signed RHP Adam Wainwright to a one-year, $8 million contract.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network first reported Thursday that the two sides had come to an agreement and the club has now made the deal official. There were other teams connected to Wainwright this winter, but he never really seemed likely to go anywhere else. The 39-year-old showed in 2020 that he still had something left in the tank, posting a 3.15 ERA and 54/15 K/BB ratio over 65 1/3 innings.

Would have been weird to see him in a different uniform. 

Indians re-signed 2B Cesar Hernandez to a one-year, $5 million contract with a $6 million club option for 2022.

Zack Meisel of The Athletic has passed along the financial details of a deal which was first reported on Tuesday. It's a relatively modest price to pay for Hernandez, who is coming off a season in which he batted .283/.355/.408 while winning a Gold Glove. With Hernandez returning at second base, the Indians will have to decide what to do at shortstop between Amed Rosario and Andres Gimenez. They're reportedly fielding offers for Rosario.

For a team looking to cut payroll, this has to be an indication that a a deal for Rosario is in the works. Otherwise, why sign a more expensive, lesser player?

Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports that the Indians have agreed to a one-year, $8 million contract with free agent outfielder Eddie Rosario.

Feinsand had noted earlier Friday that the two sides were closing in on a deal, and now it looks like it's official -- pending a physical. Rosario gets a small raise over the $7.75 million that he earned in 2020, though winds up with considerably less than he would have if he had gone to arbitration with the Twins instead of being non-tendered. The 29-year-old slugger should continue to terrorize the opposing pitching in the American League Central and pile up plenty of home runs and RBI in the middle of the Indians lineup.

Indians doing the best SD Padres impersonation with all this activity today. Rosario and Reyes should add some nice power to that lineup.

The Arendo stuff:

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Cardinals have agreed to acquire Nolan Arenado from the Rockies.

Wow. There was talk that momentum was building toward a deal, but it's still surprising to see it actually happen. No word yet on what the potential return package will be for the Rockies, but Rosenthal notes that the deal will require the approval from both MLB and the player's union as the Rockies will be sending significant cash (believed to be around $50M) in the trade and Arenado will also be deferring money. It's hard to speculate on what the Cardinals will have to give up to make this deal happen, but acquiring a 29-year-old superstar in the prime of his offensive career -- and also the best defensive third baseman of a generation -- is a tremendous get. Stay tuned, as more details are sure to follow.

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter          Jan 29, 2021, 9:45 PM ET

So far Austin Gomber is only Card mention going to Colorado.  Pitcher sent to pitchers' hell.  Poor guy.

• Like 2

Whoa, Cardinals taking a gamble:

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, Nolan Arenado will keep his opt-out clause after the 2021 season -- and gain an additional opt-out after the 2022 season -- as well as keeping his no-trade clause if the agreed upon deal with the Rockies ultimately gets finalized.

The Cardinals would certainly like more assurances that Arenado would remain with the team long-term, but Arenado wields plenty of power in these negotiations. Perhaps the reason that the Rockies are including so much cash in the deal (believed to be around $50 million) is to get a better return package from the Cardinals as a result of the superstar third baseman keeping his opt-out clause. 

Source: Ken Rosenthal on Twitter      Jan 29, 2021, 10:08 PM ET

I didnt see it in the mlbtraderumors article (maybe I'm blind), but the players going back to COL are:

Lefty Austin Gomber, righties Jake Woodford and Angel Rondon, first baseman Luken Baker, and outfielder Jhon Torres. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I didnt see it in the mlbtraderumors article (maybe I'm blind), but the players going back to COL are:

Lefty Austin Gomber, righties Jake Woodford and Angel Rondon, first baseman Luken Baker, and outfielder Jhon Torres. 

I think those names are still speculative. The MLBTR article says “They’ll likely acquire lefty Austin Gomber as part of the return,Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. Rosenthal names first baseman Luken Baker, outfielder Jhon Torres, and righties Jake Woodford and Angel Rondon as other possible names the Rockies could acquire. 

2 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I read this before coffee as "Gorman".  I thought hmmm, 3B of the future for the 3B of the present.  2 sips later, and a few more brain cells activated and I'm in shock. This seems like they removed their top guys, then told Colorado to "close their eyes, grab a handful of names from this bag" type deal. Then a few years from now can claim they got FIVE, yes FIVE for Arenado!  When in reality

giphy.gif

Edited by Sternes
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, alisgodnow said:

I think those names are still speculative. The MLBTR article says “They’ll likely acquire lefty Austin Gomber as part of the return,Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports. Rosenthal names first baseman Luken Baker, outfielder Jhon Torres, and righties Jake Woodford and Angel Rondon as other possible names the Rockies could acquire. 

Ah ok, I copied mine directly from CBS. Stay tuned i guess. 

Didi is re-signed:

Jayson Stark of The Athletic reports that the Phillies have re-signed Didi Gregorius to a two-year contract

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic adds that the contract will be worth $28 million. With the rest of the free agent shortstops on the market finding homes within the past week,  it seemed almost inevitable that the Phillies would look to bring back Gregorius,  and now it's official. With and and J.T. Realmuto back in the fold, the Phillies offense should be just as strong as it was during the 2020 season. 

Source: Jayson Stark on Twitter           Jan 30, 2021, 11:55 AM ET

11 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

I cant see him opting out of that deal

Yeah, he'll have 5/164 left for his age 31-35 seasons. Doubt he would get that on the open market. St. Louis is a good organization and most of the NL Central is rebuilding.

The only reason he might have opted out is to get the hell out of Colorado. But he probably wasn't even going to do that - otherwise the Rockies wouldn't be paying $50M to make him go away.

28 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Yeah, he'll have 5/164 left for his age 31-35 seasons. Doubt he would get that on the open market. St. Louis is a good organization and most of the NL Central is rebuilding.

The only reason he might have opted out is to get the hell out of Colorado. But he probably wasn't even going to do that - otherwise the Rockies wouldn't be paying $50M to make him go away.

If he rakes next two seasons, and MLB is over its financial problems from Covid, he could get more years and money than 5/164. I agree its still unlikely, but still very possible.

Cardinals also gave up so little in this deal, its still a win if he opts out and they lose him. They likely just revert that money to another big name.

• Like 2