NBC Sports Edge Forums

MLB 2020-21 Offseason Trades, FA Signings and Changes

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, the absolute horror of a team trying to acquire better players to win now. Dan Diego fans must be rioting at the idea of giving up their precious farm system ranking.

I've always liked Carlos Santana mostly because he is perpetually undervalued.  He's Max Muncy, Matt Olson, Pete Alonso, Luke Voit, Moose, etc without the upside.  What do you save for this lack of up

Cubs sign less than a star pitcher.

Jesse Rogers of ESPN reports that the Cubs have agreed to a one-year, $2.5 million contract with right-hander Trevor Williams.

Rogers also notes that the Cubs will likely sign at least one more starting pitcher before spring training. Williams elected free agency after refusing an outright assignment to Triple-A Indianapolis earlier this offseason. The 28-year-old righty coughed up a league-high 15 round-trippers and recorded a bloated 6.18 ERA, 1.57 WHIP and 49/21 K/BB ratio across 55 1/3 innings (11 starts) with the Pirates last season. He'll compete for one of the final spots in the Cubs' Opening Day rotation this spring.

Source: Jesse Rogers on Twitter            Jan 30, 2021, 5:26 PM ET

Twins middle infield shuffle.

Twins signed SS Andrelton Simmons to a one-year, $10.5 million contract.

The deal was first reported a few days ago and has now been made official by the club. With Simmons taking over at shortstop, the Twins will move Jorge Polanco to second base and Luis Arraez to a utility role. Simmons has posted a lowly .680 OPS over the last two seasons while dealing with multiple ankle injuries, but when healthy he still has one of the most dynamic gloves in the game. He'll give the Twins' pitching staff a boost.

Jan 31, 2021, 10:32 AM ET

Major new proposal from MLB to Players Association:

Tim Brown of Yahoo Sports reports that Major League Baseball's proposal to the MLBPA on Friday included a 154-game schedule with full pay, delaying the start of the season by a month and extending the end of the season by a week.

More specifically, spring training would start on March 22nd and the regular season on April 28, with the postseason carrying over into early November, per ESPN's Buster Olney. Jared Diamond of The Wall Street Journal says it also includes an expanded 14-team postseason and the universal designated hitter. The MLBPA is "considering" the proposal, per Brown. The players are already entitled to full pay in 2021 through the CBA, so giving in to the expanded postseason in exchange for the universal DH might not feel worth it to them unless they're also getting a bigger share of the postseason pot. At least we're at a starting point, though, and perhaps have a better idea when the season might begin.

Source: Tim Brown on Twitter                    Jan 31, 2021, 11:02 AM ET

If it turns into 154 game schedule all things new are old again since that was what it used to be pre Roger Maris getting an asterisk next to his name the year he broke Babe Ruth's record because Maris did it in the new fangled 162 game season at the time.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

MLB has proposed a 154-game schedule to the union. The season would be delayed by a month, have expanded playoffs, and a universal DH. Thoughts?

No way do I see MLB playing 154 games.

I will predict less than 90. 

2 hours ago, shakestreet said:

MLB has proposed a 154-game schedule to the union. The season would be delayed by a month, have expanded playoffs, and a universal DH. Thoughts?

No way do I see MLB playing 154 games.

I will predict less than 90. 

I think they play a full season. Every other sport is is pushing through their seasons. Why can't baseball? This is just the owners not wanting to lose more money, but they can't without permission from the players. Manfred might have the power to cut a season short, but under what basis would he do that when every other sport is pushing forward?

Players are smart for not caving into a shortened season or for accepting expanded playoffs. You make it easier to get into the playoffs, owners (who have now been crying poor for a few seasons) will only have more reason not to spend on their teams.

Keep rejecting until 162 season april 1st. No expanded playoffs and no DH in the NL. If the NFL and NBA can play then much lesser contact sport like MLB can play. Save the DH(Garbage rule) and the expanded playoffs(Crap rule) to let inferior teams in for the next CBA.

According to Dan Connolly and Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, the Angels are set to acquire right-hander Alex Cobb from the Orioles.

No word yet on the return, but Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports that there's “a lot left that needs to happen" before the deal becomes official. Cobb is owed $15 million in the final year of his contract and posted a 4.30 ERA and 38/18 K/BB ratio over 52 1/3 innings last season. The veteran right-hander will be reunited with Dylan Bundy and Joe Maddon in Anaheim. The O's will surely pick up some of Cobb's salary this year, but this would seem to rule out the Angels making some sort of play for Trevor Bauer.

This has all the makings of a desperate move, by a desperate team for pitching.  They need some impactful SP, Cobb is not that at this stage of his career..

Angels continue to waste away Trout's years.

3 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

This has all the makings of a desperate move, by a desperate team for pitching.  They need some impactful SP, Cobb is not that at this stage of his career..

They have too much invested in 4 hitters to go out and get pitching unless they want to up their normal payroll. Over the past 5 years their avg payroll is around 170 million(Not counting 2 month season). 

Trout 36 million, Pujols 30 million, Rendon next 5 years about 35 million a year, Upton about 25 million avg next two years. So about 126 million of their normal 170 payroll for four hitters. Getting Pujols off the payroll after 2021 and Upton after 2022 will help alot. Then can sign some top pitching.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, FantasyGeek2018 said:

They have too much invested in 4 hitters to go out and get pitching unless they want to up their normal payroll. Over the past 5 years their avg payroll is around 170 million(Not counting 2 month season). 

Trout 36 million, Pujols 30 million, Rendon next 5 years about 35 million a year, Upton about 25 million avg next two years. So about 126 million of their normal 170 payroll for four hitters. Getting Pujols off the payroll after 2021 and Upton after 2022 will help alot. Then can sign some top pitching.

At this point, trade some of those prospects for a cost effective front of rotation type, IMO. It'll sting, it'll set them back in the future, but you got the best player in his prime wasting away there. Do what needs to be done to help him get into the playoffs. 

Call the Rockies up and see if Marquez is available. They should have been in on Darvish or Snell. Etc

4 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

At this point, trade some of those prospects for a cost effective front of rotation type, IMO. It'll sting, it'll set them back in the future, but you got the best player in his prime wasting away there. Do what needs to be done to help him get into the playoffs. 

Call the Rockies up and see if Marquez is available. They should have been in on Darvish or Snell. Etc

I doubt Angels or anyone is going to pay the price Rockies are asking for Marquez. Perry has assembled some of the top execs and talent evaluators in the league.  Meaning they know what they are doing and the urgency.  There are probably a lot of internal discussions about trading Marsh vs. signing an Odorizzi and seeing what they have there.  Midseason SP acquisitions are cheaper than FA obviously.

They aren't signing Bauer and for good reason.

32 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

I couldn't disagree more.  With Canning/Heaney/Ohtani getting back end SP depth is just as critical as front line starters.  And if there are expanded playoffs then the urgency to get an top SP early on is lessened.  

20 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I doubt Angels or anyone is going to pay the price Rockies are asking for Marquez. Perry has assembled some of the top execs and talent evaluators in the league.  Meaning they know what they are doing and the urgency.  There are probably a lot of internal discussions about trading Marsh vs. signing an Odorizzi and seeing what they have there.  Midseason SP acquisitions are cheaper than FA obviously.

They aren't signing Bauer and for good reason.

I purposefully didn't mention Bauer. I think we are on the same page there.

I feel like their choice of Cobb, was them choosing Cobb over Odorizzi. Both would be better than nothing, at least some depth, but they need to add a FOR guy, not another mid to back end type. Not sure how Cobb is any different a signing than Teheran was last year, where did that get them?

Very possible that the Rockies ask for more than the Angels can offer for Marquez. If not him, they should be moving to a next target. 

Edited by colorado2013
16 minutes ago, Magoo said:

I couldn't disagree more.  With Canning/Heaney/Ohtani getting back end SP depth is just as critical as front line starters.  And if there are expanded playoffs then the urgency to get an top SP early on is lessened.  

I guess backing into the playoffs with expanded playoffs would finally get Trout in there, but that is so unsatisfying.

Are we really still considering Ohtani as a legitimate SP, let alone Top 3 guy on your team? 

20 minutes ago, colorado2013 said:

I guess backing into the playoffs with expanded playoffs would finally get Trout in there, but that is so unsatisfying.

Are we really still considering Ohtani as a legitimate SP, let alone Top 3 guy on your team? 

No. he's going to top out at around 100 IP

12 minutes ago, Magoo said:

No. he's going to top out at around 100 IP

Ok, gotcha. 

I guess we are just coming at this from opposite directions where I would prioritize the FOR SP now and work on the back end mid season, and you the opposite? 

14 hours ago, colorado2013 said:

Maybe they were, but easy to see why those teams would prefer a package of prospects from the stacked Padres farm over what the Angels could have offered.

8 hours ago, Blood Brother said:

Maybe they were, but easy to see why those teams would prefer a package of prospects from the stacked Padres farm over what the Angels could have offered.

Definitely possible.

I am not a prospect guru but it seemed like SD didn't give up any of their highly valued prospects in the Darvish deal. 

According to Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic, free agent right-hander Chris Archer has reached an agreement with the Rays.

It'll be a one-year, $6.5 million deal, per ESPN's Jeff Passan. Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reported back in December that the Rays had discussed a possible reunion with Archer, and now the two sides have finally worked out the terms. The right-hander began his MLB career with the organization, so it's a comfortable landing spot for him to attempt to turn things around after he missed all of 2020 following June surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome. He also had a rough 5.19 ERA and 1.41 WHIP in 23 starts with the Pirates in 2019.

Maybe a return to TB is just what the doctor ordered, but I think I will let others take that gamble. Then there is the whole health thing...

Edited by colorado2013
2 hours ago, colorado2013 said:

Maybe a return to TB is just what the doctor ordered, but I think I will let others take that gamble. Then there is the whole health thing...

Now the Rays have Glasnow, Meadows, Baz and Archer for cheap.  And the Pirates have

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Cruz back with Twins:

ESPN's Jeff Passan reports that the Twins have re-signed veteran slugger Nelson Cruz.

Dan Hayes of The Athletic says it is a one-year, $13 million contract. Cruz will turn 41 years old this July and is strictly a DH option at this point in his career, but he was a monster for the reigning AL Central champions in 2019-2020, posting a combined .308/.394/.626 batting line with 57 home runs and 141 RBI in 173 games. They'll try to run it back in 2021 and maybe stage a little deeper postseason push. Minnesota also signed Andrelton Simmons and J.A. Happ in late January, so this has been a strong finish to what had been a quiet winter.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter                   Feb 2, 2021, 11:44 PM ET

Also Alex Cobb traded to Angels in the "whatever" category.

MLB.com's Jon Morosi reports that the Brewers have signed a multi-year deal with free agent second baseman Kolten Wong.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported earlier this hour that the two parties were "in discussions," and now there is an agreement in place. It's a two-year guaranteed contract worth $18 million and there is a third-year option that could bring the total value to $26 million. Wong struggled offensively with the Cardinals during the shortened 2020 season, but he posted a respectable .285/.361/.423 batting line with 11 home runs and 24 stolen bases over 148 games in 2019 and also plays elite-level defense at second. This move probably means that Keston Hiura will slide over to first base, leaving Daniel Vogelbach as more of a bench bat.

They mention Hiura sliding to first base, Vogelbach to the bench.

Too bad for them there is no NL DH.

• Like 1